Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Mattéo Guendouzi (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:11 pm

Power n Glory wrote:For selfish reasons, you have to hope Guendouzi flops if he doesn’t come back to play for us or at least one of our players turns out to be just as good or better.

Luckily, we've only ever had Gnarby slip through our fingers and tear it up elsewhere.

That’s what you have to hope.

I think Guendouzi has potential though if someone can harness that energy and drive, there’s something about him, it’s a question of whether someone can manage him well and improve his discipline and focus his game a bit more.

There’s a player in there IMO, one that just didn’t progress when he was with us, he’s doing well for Marseille though clearly and has been called up to the French squad.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:17 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:For selfish reasons, you have to hope Guendouzi flops if he doesn’t come back to play for us or at least one of our players turns out to be just as good or better.

Luckily, we've only ever had Gnarby slip through our fingers and tear it up elsewhere.

I think Guendouzi has potential though if someone can harness that energy and drive, there’s something about him, it’s a question of whether someone can manage him well and improve his discipline and focus his game a bit more.

There’s a player in there IMO, one that just didn’t progress when he was with us, he’s doing well for Marseille though clearly and has been called up to the French squad.

His best season so far in his career was with us.
He was dumped because of his character - or lack of it.
Sometimes players just don't fit.

The attitude and character of the players is vital for us to get right - it's been an issue for years. We would not want a player like Guendouzi messing up the dressing room.
If we can get a decent fee for him, it'll be great to be rid of him.
Otherwise it's just the cost of doing business and we move on.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:29 pm

Özim wrote:

He had some positive moments for us and I thought he could be the future of our midfield. I liked out he'd demand the ball and take control. He wasn’t a passive player. He's had a kid now and maybe that will ground him a bit. He's a player I'd like to see back here if there is still a possibility.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:37 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

The attitude and character of the players is vital for us to get right - it's been an issue for years. We would not want a player like Guendouzi messing up the dressing room.

He starter well with us yes, but he seems to be doing better at Marseille now.

As for character, it is what it is, some players are just more vocal and outspoken, it’s not always a bad thing, Roy Keane for example was exactly like that. Personally
I thought was discarded too easily, sometimes young players need guidance to harness that passion, not to
Just be written off.

I think the fee is pretty much set and from what I saw the transfer is an option but subject to some easily achievable targets, so I’d say he’s gone.

If he turns out to be top class we’ll have missed out, if not ok the player than on a big fee just like with Gnabry (who I always like and was disappointed to see leave).
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby themessiah » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 pm

theHotHead wrote:If the boy is adding goals to his game he will certainly become an asset.

Lets also not forget how young he is, people have been far too quick to write him off.

I have never been Guendouzi biggest fan but I have heard Marseille might .. Get him for a little as over 10 million for this player. Hall of shame moment for the club tbf. The deal they got him him is on loan with obligation to buy. So that’s the end of his Arsenal career.
Last edited by themessiah on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:39 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:

He had some positive moments for us and I thought he could be the future of our midfield. I liked out he'd demand the ball and take control. He wasn’t a passive player. He's had a kid now and maybe that will ground him a bit. He's a player I'd like to see back here if there is still a possibility.

I think he’s as good as gone, he’s said his goodbyes suggesting as much and everything I read about the loan suggests the transfer is as good as completed, its an option to buy but is almost as good as an obligation due to the easily achievable clauses.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:49 pm

It's a shame. With Partey off to AFCON this year, we're real short on quality in that area. Lokonga looks tidy but hasn’t yet imposed himself on a game. When we've struggled, the game tends to bypass him. AMN doesn't look close to bossing a midfield either and when I think of these guys next to Xhaka it makes me worry.

We may have to consider moving Odegaard further back as a CM and let ESR play ahead as the 10. We one of the young CM's to step their game up soon.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:49 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

He starter well with us yes, but he seems to be doing better at Marseille now.

As for character, it is what it is, some players are just more vocal and outspoken, it’s not always a bad thing, Roy Keane for example was exactly like that. Personally
I thought was discarded too easily, sometimes young players need guidance to harness that passion, not to
Just be written off.

I think the fee is pretty much set and from what I saw the transfer is an option but subject to some easily achievable targets, so I’d say he’s gone.

If he turns out to be top class we’ll have missed out, if not ok the player than on a big fee just like with Gnabry (who I always like and was disappointed to see leave).

It's not about him being vocal - vocal is good.
It's about him being an arsehole.
All he had to do was apologise for his behaviour and knuckle down at Arsenal but he was too proud to do so.
Pride comes before a fall and that is exactly what happened to him.

He's not going to turn out to be top class - because he doesn't have the talent. He's a good player with a bad attitude.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:55 pm

He isn't coming back. He was openly goading Arteta by praising Emery when he won the EL.

Saliba has a chance because he is killing it at Marseille and may be too good to ignore by the end of the season. The club doenn't want the embarrassment of having a £27m investment in a critical position walk for free.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:01 pm

jayramfootball wrote:It's not about him being vocal - vocal is good.
All he had to do was apologise for his behaviour and knuckle down at Arsenal but he was too proud to do so.

He's not going to turn out to be top class - because he doesn't have the talent. He's a good player with a bad attitude.

Xhaka and Willian have gotten away with far worse, and Arteta just handed one a retirement contract.

The other one tore up his deal, such was the indignity of playing under him.

The Arteta regime has been defined by clueless nepotism which inevitably led to successive midtable finishes.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:13 pm

themessiah wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If the boy is adding goals to his game he will certainly become an asset.

Lets also not forget how young he is, people have been far too quick to write him off.

I have never been Guendouzi biggest fan but I have heard Marseille might .. Get him for a little as over 10 million for this player. Hall of shame moment for the club tbf. The deal they got him him is on loan with obligation to buy. So that’s the end of his Arsenal career.

Wondering how that process works if the player decides not go go. Its all well and good them being obliged to buy, but if Guendo decides to stay and fight for his place, what does that do to the obligation to buy ?!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:15 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

Xhaka and Willian have gotten away with far worse, and Arteta just handed one a retirement contract.

The Arteta regime has been defined by clueless nepotism which inevitably led to successive midtable finishes.

Exactly, what did Guenoduzi do that was so bad ? Went over the top a bit with Maupay ? Meh.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:16 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

Willian didn't get away with anything - he was dropped and then had to tear up his contract in order to play any football.
He was forced out because he was no longer wanted.
Xhaka's issue is not that he is disruptive. He just has total brain farts on the pitch from time to time.

Nothing Arteta has done has led to 2 mid-table finishes.
He's only had one full season.
The first season he did well and he rounded it off by winning a trophy.

My opinion is that he is too authoritarian in his approach, but that is now his adopted style.
He may learn to manage different players in an appropriate style as he gets more experience, but his signature will probably always be one of 'my way or the highway'.

That's fine as long as we get at least top 6 this season.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:10 pm

Played higher up as an AM, scored 2 and assisted one against his old club. Marseille won 4-1.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:10 pm

Ffs

He's killing it

Bring him back
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football