Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Implications of Newcastle takeover on Arsenal

Postby Nuggets » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:05 am

swipe right wrote:Cherry picking periods of time when we had a run of good games across multiple seasons to make a point is just sad.

Pathetic is a word that spring's to mind the ramblings of a desperate fool.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:43 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Sometimes we play beautiful football, like the day we beat Spuds. Real fans did enjoy it, at least 50 thousand+ did.
So, no matter where we are, most Arsenal fans do enjoy the infield spectacle and have hope that things will improve.
But they are simple folks....

2 things, Spurs left more holes than a colander and it’s so rare it’s like a blue moon.

I don’t want a manager like this, I hope he gets the boot soon and we can move forward, I don’t enjoy his style of play (whatever that is), the poor performances and generally poor results and watching him break all the records for the wrong reason.

On top of all that he treats player appallingly.

He’s been a disaster of a manager as many people expected you’d get when you employ a nobody with no experience.

You could tell it would be a disaster from day one. I’d rather have Wenger and Emery than this guy (Emerynhas already shown he was superior) and I wanted them replaced!

Oh, do stop with the other team was bad nonsense.
We're on a great run of 10 points from 12.
The Spurs game was a massive win and a highlight moment worth celebrating.

No I won’t, great run? It’s 4 games and we’ve drawn our last one, it’s laughable you call that a great run.

When we’ve gone 15+ games not losing winning some convincingly you can’t take about great run not after 4 games, right now it’s a few games, the standards at this club are so low for some fans!

10 points out of 12 is a great run.
Actually, our last 31 games has been a good run - top 4 level.
Long may it continue.

Not it isn’t, it’s 4 games.

Still going on about that :lol:

I’m petty sure when we reach 31 games this season we’ll be nowhere and your theory will have been blown out of the water like your others, we may be in an upturn under a new manager though after Arteta has gotten the boot.

:cloud9:

Yes, still going on about the fact that over the last 31 games we've been the 4th best team in the league.
Shows how well Arteta and the players have done for a lengthy period of time.
Keep the same form we've had all year and we will be challenging for the Champions League again.
The only thing getting blown out of the water is your agenda as Arsenal continue on a long run of good form.
COYG.
:arsesmile:

That's completely and utterly irrelevant.

You've selected a meaningless period of time that fits a narrative which has absolutely no real world application or meaning at all.

For example I could say last week AFC were the best team in the league because we won and City and Liverpool drew, what does that one small sample mean? nothing, they'll still win a trophy or win the league and we'll still come 8th, that's what matters, not some period of time you've chosen .......... explain to us what trophy we win for that?

It's totally relevant.
It's our last 31 games in the PL.
A long run of top 4 form since Christmas 2020 when we came out of that awful 2 month slump.

As well as being relevant, because it is undoubtedly the reason Arteta was not sacked, it also shreds the OTT negative narratives.

The CURRENT run of top 4 form is getting longer and longer. Just 7 games short of a full 38 games.

31 games to go this season. Perform like we have over the last 31 games and we're going to be right there with a top 4 chance.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:31 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I was Arteta in from his first interview in public, I was Arteta in at the need of the FA Cup winning half season, I was still Arteta in when he started the 2020/21 season without Ozil. I became Artetas out during that 2 months of absolute bullcrap he served us and have been ever since.

Surely we were all ecstatic after winning the FA Cup though ?!!!!

That's it.
That 2 month period is key.
Other than that our form has been top 4 - or on the cusp of top 4.
This is why I have said that I will not support Arteta as manager if he takes us through a run like that again.
I too was Arteta out at the end of that 2-month run - it was awful... just 2 points from 21.

But after the Chelsea game we managed to maintain a run.

Going out of the EL didn't help for some. In and of itself it was not a big deal but in the same season as that 2 months meltdown, I can understand anyone who is Arteta out and will take a lot more convincing before changing their mind.

What I don't accept and will continue to challenge is when the desire for Arteta to be gone spills into negativity about everything to do with the club, onto all the players we sign under Arteta and pretty much anything that the club says or does. It's non-objective agenda-driven trash.

It wasn't just 2 months of awful football, it was him being completely out of his depth and I have not seen anything thus far to suggest he can cope. I still see mis-treatment of players, I still see awful football. The EL loss was big, it showed him to be a total tactical dufus, he literally threw away our spot in the final and a very winnable final against Man U managed by an even worse manager in Solskjaer !!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Rockape » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:53 am

Has anyone ever been to Speakers corner and seen the crazeeees standing on their soap boxes, wild eyed and shouting their weird messages to the people? A few people stop and stare in wonder, whilst the rest hurry past, looking the other way.

Jay is the deluded Preacher of GW.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:18 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Sometimes we play beautiful football, like the day we beat Spuds. Real fans did enjoy it, at least 50 thousand+ did.
So, no matter where we are, most Arsenal fans do enjoy the infield spectacle and have hope that things will improve.
But they are simple folks....

This is pure midtable mentality. Turgid football is acceptable as long as we have the occasional good game? Arsenal needs to have good games regularly to make Top 6.

We called Emery's 20 game unbeaten run papering over the cracks, because it ultimately wasn't enough for Top 4, which was our target. And we still defeated much tougher opposition then, such as the peak Poch Spurs team of 18/19.

:clap:

Spot on, the football has not been good enough, in fact it has mostly been unaccpetable. I refuse to let my standards for Arsenal slip.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:33 pm

Rockape wrote:Has anyone ever been to Speakers corner and seen the crazeeees standing on their soap boxes, wild eyed and shouting their weird messages to the people? A few people stop and stare in wonder, whilst the rest hurry past, looking the other way.

Jay is the deluded Preacher of GW.

Yeah - and you and your doomer pals are like the guy on the street wearing a sandwich board shouting 'the end is nigh'.

;)
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I was Arteta in from his first interview in public, I was Arteta in at the need of the FA Cup winning half season, I was still Arteta in when he started the 2020/21 season without Ozil. I became Artetas out during that 2 months of absolute bullcrap he served us and have been ever since.

That's it.
This is why I have said that I will not support Arteta as manager if he takes us through a run like that again.
I too was Arteta out at the end of that 2-month run - it was awful... just 2 points from 21.

Going out of the EL didn't help for some. In and of itself it was not a big deal but in the same season as that 2 months meltdown, I can understand anyone who is Arteta out and will take a lot more convincing before changing their mind.

What I don't accept and will continue to challenge is when the desire for Arteta to be gone spills into negativity about everything to do with the club, onto all the players we sign under Arteta and pretty much anything that the club says or does. It's non-objective agenda-driven trash.

It wasn't just 2 months of awful football, it was him being completely out of his depth and I have not seen anything thus far to suggest he can cope. I still see mis-treatment of players, I still see awful football. The EL loss was big, it showed him to be a total tactical dufus, he literally threw away our spot in the final and a very winnable final against Man U managed by an even worse manager in Solskjaer !!

Out of his depth with the 4th best record in the league since Dec 2020?
All he needs to do si continue what he is doing and we're on our way to challenging for the top 4 again.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:53 pm

What a dreadful 2021 it’s been, poor football, average performances and average results!

We’ve been very average all round.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:55 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That's it.

All he needs to do si continue what he is doing and we're on our way to challenging for the top 4 again.

Yes.

He was 8th last season, it’s the only stat matters. He’s 11th now.

For all this great form, we certainly seem to always be in a lowly position in the league. Maybe the form isn’t that good after all?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:01 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That's it.

Jay there is only one person that refers to or cares about this mid-season 5 month spell. Nobody else cares about it because we finished 8th and we are currently 11th.

Mid-season spells of good form mean nothing when they don't amount to anything Jay, just like when we had good starts or good ends to the season under Wenger, they meant absolutely nothing.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:09 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That's it.

Jay there is only one person that refers to or cares about this mid-season 5 month spell. Nobody else cares about it because we finished 8th and we are currently 11th.

Mid-season spells of good form mean nothing when they don't amount to anything Jay, just like when we had good starts or good ends to the season under Wenger, they meant absolutely nothing.

Actually, many fans refer to it. Stories all over the web from about May and much chatter in Arsenal forums and blogs.
Just not here, because our actual form is like a cross to a vampire here.
The club referred to it too.
They refer to it because it is not a 'mid season spell'. It is our last 31 games.
There has been a very clear improvement from Dec 2020. You think, for some strange reason, that things can only get better in-between seasons.
The reality is that we have been on a long spell of form that is actually quite good and blows apart the doom-mongering.
Sorry that our actual points haul over nearly 10 months doesn't suit your negative outlook, but it is what it is.

I am going to make this factual statement again:
If we perform over the NEXT 31 games as we have over the LAST 31 PL games then we'll be very close to achieving a top 4 finish.
The very fact that statement is 100% correct makes all the OTT negativity quite ridiculous.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:24 pm

TedLasso wrote:The statement is true and impressive in isolation. Its also arbitrary and cherry-picked data. Any side can look top 4 if you choose the right date range.

Any side?
The only sides that can possibly be in the top 4 points winners over a 31 game period are sides that are doing well over that period.
Just like us - we've been doing well since Christmas 2020. It's not a random time period... it's the LAST 31 games since we came out of our slump.

To put it another way - how can we be as shit as some are making out if we are the 4th highest points winners since Dec 2020?
Makes no sense. Before then we WERE doing shit (for 2 months), but since then, no. We've been on good form. That's just a factual statement based on the points we've won compared to others.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:01 pm

We’ve not being doing well, as many people have told you we’ve been pretty awful.

You call it doing well but people don’t see it that way.

As for this supposed run, again as everyone pointed out it’s meaningless or Wenger would have won the title multiple times after 2005 if this actually meant anything because he often wen on long runs when it mattered least.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:30 pm

Özim wrote:We’ve not being doing well, as many people have told you we’ve been pretty awful.

You call it doing well but people don’t see it that way.

As for this supposed run, again as everyone pointed out it’s meaningless or Wenger would have won the title multiple times after 2005 if this actually meant anything because he often wen on long runs when it mattered least.

The points we've won over the last 31 PL games tell the story of how we have done since coming out of a poor run.

That's all that matters and the true story is we've been doing well for a long time.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:39 pm

Do you just ignore actual league positions?
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk