Super Jacky Wilshere

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Super Jacky Wilshere

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:39 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Happy for him to train but it wouldn't be right be right for him to leapfrog others who have been waiting for this sort of opportunity to play.

It's not a queue.
It's absolutely right for players to leapfrog others.
I can't see Wilshere being good enough for that, however.

Always the contrarian but you agree because this is specific to Wilshere.

If he's good enough after months of no training or competitive football, then that opens up a set of other questions that are uncomfortable.

Just don't think waiting for ones turn has anything to do with football.
If Wilshere did impress in training and got a contract, there are no questions other than how well we think he did in games after we'd seen him play.
We have a midfielder out with a long term injury too.
If he's good enough - it's better than carrying an injury with no cover.

I didn't say anyone should wait. That's your interpretation. There is a pecking order in terms of qualty and I'm sure the order changes weekly based on what the players do in training. For you there are no questions if Wilshere earns a place but we don't think the same. A guy that hasn't trained in ages and not match fit would raise a lot of questions for me.

He'd have to be putting in sensational performances for me not to question why we're not playing ESR, Odegaard, Sambi or even AMN and Elneny in midfield.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:24 am

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Happy for him to train but it wouldn't be right be right for him to leapfrog others who have been waiting for this sort of opportunity to play.

It's not a queue.
It's absolutely right for players to leapfrog others.
I can't see Wilshere being good enough for that, however.

Always the contrarian but you agree because this is specific to Wilshere.

If he's good enough after months of no training or competitive football, then that opens up a set of other questions that are uncomfortable.

Just don't think waiting for ones turn has anything to do with football.
If Wilshere did impress in training and got a contract, there are no questions other than how well we think he did in games after we'd seen him play.
We have a midfielder out with a long term injury too.
If he's good enough - it's better than carrying an injury with no cover.

I didn't say anyone should wait. That's your interpretation. There is a pecking order in terms of qualty and I'm sure the order changes weekly based on what the players do in training. For you there are no questions if Wilshere earns a place but we don't think the same. A guy that hasn't trained in ages and not match fit would raise a lot of questions for me.

He'd have to be putting in sensational performances for me not to question why we're not playing ESR, Odegaard, Sambi or even AMN and Elneny in midfield.

If he did manage to get any sort of pay as you play, I would suspect it would be simply cover (outside of a transfer window) fro Xhaka.
No major questions or issues with that.
We're short a player because of a bad injury.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:16 pm

Wilsh is sticking around because he wants a job of some sort at the club. Ambassador, youth coach or whatever. It worked for Ryan Mason at Spurs.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:43 pm

EliteKiller wrote:Trying to live in the last decade, failing to get rid of the deadwood year after year, and now glorifying a player who repeatedly put himself before the club and ultimately let everyone down .... how on earth is that a good idea?

What's wrong with training at Arsenal and earning his badges?

He's an Arsenal boy. He spent most of his life at Arsenal. Just because he couldn't fulfil his potential, or made some stupid decision, we shouldn't ignore a Gunner when he's not in the best place.

As a club, we're above such pettiness. We should embrace our responsibilities as a cultural institution. Over the past decades, Arsenal have had a touch of class. It's absolutely classy of Arteta to let Wilshere use our facilities and do his badges.

Arsenal have always taken care of its players. I admire how we're willing to help Jack when he needs us. Wenger always maintained that football is supposed to touch lives. Caring about ex-players, for fans, doing a little bit extra is what I expect from a club as big as Arsenal.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:31 pm

Angelito wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:Trying to live in the last decade, failing to get rid of the deadwood year after year, and now glorifying a player who repeatedly put himself before the club and ultimately let everyone down .... how on earth is that a good idea?

What's wrong with training at Arsenal and earning his badges?

He's an Arsenal boy. He spent most of his life at Arsenal. Just because he couldn't fulfil his potential, or made some stupid decision, we shouldn't ignore a Gunner when he's not in the best place.

As a club, we're above such pettiness. We should embrace our responsibilities as a cultural institution. Over the past decades, Arsenal have had a touch of class. It's absolutely classy of Arteta to let Wilshere use our facilities and do his badges.

Arsenal have always taken care of its players. I admire how we're willing to help Jack when he needs us. Wenger always maintained that football is supposed to touch lives. Caring about ex-players, for fans, doing a little bit extra is what I expect from a club as big as Arsenal.

:clap: Well said.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Rockape » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:34 pm

Well said Ang. It’s very easy to criticism people like Jack, but until you’ve walked in his shoes at such a young age, you really have no idea about the temptations and pressures on young poorly educated players.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:09 pm

Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:17 pm

He should really go oversees or drop to a lower division if he wants to play again.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zenith » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:28 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Phil71 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:38 am

With Xhaka injured and Partey & Elneny going off to the African Nations - could we give him a short contract as cover?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Nuggets » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:21 pm

Phil71 wrote:With Xhaka injured and Partey & Elneny going off to the African Nations - could we give him a short contract as cover?

Fook no he was past it when he played last for us, Diaby mark 11
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Phil71 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:35 pm

Pulling up trees in training apparently.

One of our fringe players said the other day that Wilshere is often he best player on the park in training matches.

If he can do a job for us for 6 months we'd be silly not to.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby swipe right » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:54 am

Phil71 wrote:Pulling up trees in training apparently.

One of our fringe players said the other day that Wilshere is often he best player on the park in training matches.

The state of our midfield that a guy who hasn’t played since March is coming in and bossing them.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Phil71 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:19 am

swipe right wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Pulling up trees in training apparently.

The state of our midfield that a guy who hasn’t played since March is coming in and bossing them.

Your glass really is half empty.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:52 pm

Lol.
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club