Bukayo Saka (7)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Bukayo Saka (7)

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:44 pm

New manager (as long as he’s a decent one like Conte), new ideas, better football, better results, better use of squad and resources, better man management, fewer or no weird decisions = progress

We might not win the league but it would all be a whole lot better and more exciting, right now it’s freaking awful.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:10 pm

Arsenal's England forward Bukayo Saka has been approached by a number of clubs, but the Gunners consider the 20-year-old "untouchable". (Here We Go podcast, via Sun)

So it begins
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:23 pm

Ach wrote:
Arsenal's England forward Bukayo Saka has been approached by a number of clubs, but the Gunners consider the 20-year-old "untouchable". (Here We Go podcast, via Sun)

So it begins

Saka's rise stardom began a while back. I am sure every club in the world would want him.
I wouldn't get all jittery about media BS, though.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby LMAO » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:40 am

Ach wrote:

So it begins

£120 million to even pick up the phone tbh. Not many clubs who can pay that and need him.

With that said, locking him down to a long-term contract is a must.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby swipe right » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:07 am

LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:

So it begins

£120 million to even pick up the phone tbh. Not many clubs who can pay that and need him.

Your boy Arteta will gladly sell him to his former employers. Don’t even doubt it.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Goonerred » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 am

swipe right wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:

So it begins

Your boy Arteta will gladly sell him to his former employers. Don’t even doubt it.

I was just thinking that, if the money is right, he will be sold. I can't blame Saka for going somewhere where he could win trophies either, he's not getting any with us in the near future. Look at Kane, he should have left Totts long ago, Shearer barely won anything. If I was a footballer, yes the money is great, but the aim should be to win things, that's what they get paid for.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:40 am

Goonerred wrote:
swipe right wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:

So it begins

I was just thinking that, if the money is right, he will be sold. I can't blame Saka for going somewhere where he could win trophies either, he's not getting any with us in the near future. Look at Kane, he should have left Totts long ago, Shearer barely won anything. If I was a footballer, yes the money is great, but the aim should be to win things, that's what they get paid for.

I’d sell Saka for big money because as good as he is, he’s not a game changer. The problem is reinvesting that money. The idiots in charge don’t have a clue and they can’t attract talent either. So hold onto Saka for dear life.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:38 am

We'd definitely sell and nowhere near as much as 120m.

Maybe half that if not for free
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm

LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:

So it begins

Wishful thinking. By the end of next season he will be down to his last 2 years while we are still faffing around trying to fulfill Arteta's vision. I can see us selling for a low fee with 1 year left.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:06 pm

The longer the lack of progress goes on the more likely we are to losers these young players, they’ve got no reason to commit long term and when they have a year left they may well decide it’s better for their career to move on.

We really needed to see tangible progress and I’m just not seeing that, it’s the same old same old so far.

We’ve reached the stage now we should be selling anyone that doesn’t commit to a new contract with 2 years left now anyway, if they won’t commit it’s because they’re not convinced it’s the right place for them so better to sell with 2 years left and make a decent amount then allow them to run it down to 1 year and take a cut price fee or even worse nothing the following year.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:24 pm

At least Jack the lad is coming home. He can play left wing forward if Saka leaves.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:29 pm

swipe right wrote:At least Jack the lad is coming home. He can play left wing forward if Saka leaves.

Do we have crutches or a hot tub for him?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Özim wrote:We’ve reached the stage now we should be selling anyone that doesn’t commit to a new contract with 2 years left now anyway, if they won’t commit it’s because they’re not convinced it’s the right place for them so better to sell with 2 years left and make a decent amount then allow them to run it down to 1 year and take a cut price fee or even worse nothing the following year.

That was supposed to be the policy after the Ramsey renewal debacle. Anybody not re-upping in the final 2 years would be shipped out.

It never happened. Instead of selling, we mostly paid players to leave, or loaned them out till their contracts expired.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:32 pm

We have to remember, its all well and good saying we will sell players that don't sign a contract extension with 2 years to go on their existing contracts, but if that player doesn't agree to be sold there is nothing the club can do about it. So its just big talk, the player must agree to be sold.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:32 pm

While I do believe he will stay at Arsenal for 2-3 years even if things remain as bad as they are, some people need to understand that hurling dreams to the future rarely works in football. There has to be something that grounds players to the present and that only comes through success in the present.

Watching Edu's interview, it gave a sense that the folks expect Arsenal to be relatively successful in the future based on the recruitments this summer. I wish it worked that way.

A youth-oriented project doesn't always yield success in the future. There will be injuries, unhappy players; there will be players who don't turn out great, or players who'd want to leave for success elsewhere.

I don't even want to talk about how this management team subtly turned from needing experience and physicality (last season's spiritual wisdom offered by the manager) to opting for younger players this summer. Smart people will understand how this management team is making things up as they go.

If I'm Saka's agent, I'm simply asking myself and my client, do we see Arsenal challenging for top honors any time soon? That's a negative. Can Arsenal get back in the UCL and provide us that exposure and experience? Uncertain. Are Arsenal willing to pay top wages to keep us at the club? Likely.

So, money, now becomes the prerogative. However, if some other, more ambitious, more efficient club does offer Saka a role in the team, is it worth it to persist with Arsenal's project? No, it's not.

It's understandable that some Arsenal fans would accept a top-8 berth. That's admirable.

Nonetheless, players don't exactly think this way, especially hyped up prodigies like Saka. He'll go on international duty, see his mates play in the UCL, challenge for top honors, and he'd want that too.

That's the misfortune pseudo-smart individuals bring along with them. Not only is the manager in his first job, the TD/DoF is on his first major job as well. So, in essence, this club is enabling the two inexperienced pros to use Arsenal as a collateral in their journey of education and experience. It's bliss for them. Ill-fortune for the fans.

But I don't blame the two honchos entrusted with the fortunes of Arsenal. They can use this period to build up their experience, boost their confidence, and treat it as a university—so that it helps them in the future when they work for other clubs. It's a great internship opportunity for the duo and they're getting paid a bomb! All the while there's a segment that trusts the process and is willing to back them. What more could they ask for?

Those things aside, I do think Saka should use Arsenal as a vehicle for at least two years. He'd develop well here as he's an undisputed starter and would have the experience in playing for a struggling team. That would aid in his growth.

When he eventually joins a top team, this experience would prove invaluable.

Personally, I do think he'd sign another contract if we offered him big money. He has the upper hand in this discussion.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk