Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I actually don't think there is anything wrong with our attackers at all ...............

Its just how they're being deployed.

Do you think a front two LF & RF of Auba and Pepe wouldn't do damage?

The issue is Pepe is out wide so can only get into scoring positions now and again and Auba is being asked to play in the post (to use an NBA term) and play as a CF.

Auba is suited to the classic Henry attack line of coming in off the left and occassionally swooping into the middle, not standing between two CB's like Giroud used to.

If Auba was at Liverpool playing in their 4-3-3 he'd play in Manes position of LWF and be smashing it.

Whilst it is clear Auba is more suited to a LF position, unfortunately, it didn't work for him there either in the past season.
If he can regain form it certainly makes our forward player options look better, but we'll need to see a lot more from him straight away.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:56 am

Likewise I don't see much wrong with our offensive options, Auba, Laka, Saka, Martinelli, Pepe, perfectly fine.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:58 am

DiamondGooner wrote:I actually don't think there is anything wrong with our attackers at all ...............

The issue is Pepe is out wide so can only get into scoring positions now and again and Auba is being asked to play in the post (to use an NBA term) and play as a CF.

Auba is suited to the classic Henry attack line of coming in off the left and occassionally swooping into the middle, not standing between two CB's like Giroud used to.

If Auba was at Liverpool playing in their 4-3-3 he'd play in Manes position of LWF and be smashing it.

Agree on that. Auba and Pepe up front could work well in a 3-5-2. ESR as the 10 playmaker, put Partey and Loko/Elneny behind, Saka left or right wing back and it could be a deadly system but plenty of room for others when rotating.

But I don't think Arteta will change from a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 system. Seems to be wedded to playing a solo striker up front and so far he hasn't tried anything dramatic to shake it up except ESR and Willian as the false 9 or Laca as the 10 but sticking to the same formation and 3 man attack.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby themessiah » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:04 am

Auba,Laca , Pepe do not work together They’ve been shown f***ing levels. They can’t link up, they can’t press, they can’t keep possession on their own. f**k off. All of them. Pepe still hasn't done it tbh! Playing decent when the pressure is completely off at the end of the season isn't enough tbh! He has a long way to go for me to Rate him
I can not stand Arteta anymore but Pepe improved a bit as a footballer player by playing on the LW because he actually has to move off the ball in that position. Instead at RW where he just lazy off the ball and just cuts inside and can’t use his left foot because he is so one footed. Plus he now understands playing in one positions is not the way forward for
A player like Pepe . he had to do a lot more when that playing well when it does not matter anymore because 72 million isn't spent on everyone! That price tag is huge
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby swipe right » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:36 am

themessiah wrote:Auba,Laca , Pepe do not work together They’ve been shown f***ing levels. They can’t link up, they can’t press, they can’t keep possession on their own. f**k off. All of them. Pepe still hasn't done it tbh! Playing decent when the pressure is completely off at the end of the season isn't enough tbh! He has a long way to go for me to Rate him
I can not stand Arteta anymore but Pepe improved a bit as a footballer player by playing on the LW because he actually has to move off the ball in that position. Instead at RW where he just lazy off the ball and just cuts inside and can’t use his left foot because he is so one footed. Plus he now understands playing in one positions is not the way forward for
A player like Pepe . he had to do a lot more when that playing well when it does not matter anymore because 72 million isn't spent on everyone! That price tag is huge

That’s why Tammy is coming. Welcome Tammy.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby VCC » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 am

Mean while AW is still in talks with Messi,
Now back to reality is this nightmare over yet.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:16 am

Power n Glory wrote:

Agree on that. Auba and Pepe up front could work well in a 3-5-2. ESR as the 10 playmaker, put Partey and Loko/Elneny behind, Saka left or right wing back and it could be a deadly system but plenty of room for others when rotating.

But I don't think Arteta will change from a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 system. Seems to be wedded to playing a solo striker up front and so far he hasn't tried anything dramatic to shake it up except ESR and Willian as the false 9 or Laca as the 10 but sticking to the same formation and 3 man attack.

Whilst I think Auba is better suited to a front 2 as opposed to a lone role in the centre, reverting our best attacking player - Saka - to a wingback position is not the right move. We cannot accommodate out of form players like Auba at the expense of our best player. Makes no sense. That is as bad a decision as moving Xhaka to FB. It may be the right formation for some games. First and foremost the best players should be played in their best positions, then the rest of the team should fit in.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:18 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Whilst I think Auba is better suited to a front 2 as opposed to a lone role in the centre, reverting our best attacking player - Saka - to a wingback position is not the right move. We cannot accommodate out of form players like Auba at the expense of our best player. Makes no sense. That is as bad a decision as moving Xhaka to FB. It may be the right formation for some games. First and foremost the best players should be played in their best positions, then the rest of the team should fit in.

Saka is one of our most promising players but he's not our best yet. I'd agree with you if we were moving a player that has shown he can score 20-30 goals a season or 15 to 20 assists but that isn't the case yet. He's been just as good wherever he has played but he hasn't yet shown an eye for goal or the type of player that kills opponents with relentless killer passes.

It's not just about accomdating Auba, it's also about Pepe, Lacazette i(f he stays) , Martinelli, Nketiah, Balogun because I think they'd all play a lot better with a partner. Plus with that midfield trio behind, there is room to tinker with different type of midfielders. From Smith Rowe, to Saka and Willock. But I doubt we'll ever see it happen.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:54 am

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Saka is one of our most promising players but he's not our best yet. I'd agree with you if we were moving a player that has shown he can score 20-30 goals a season or 15 to 20 assists but that isn't the case yet. He's been just as good wherever he has played but he hasn't yet shown an eye for goal or the type of player that kills opponents with relentless killer passes.

It's not just about accomdating Auba, it's also about Pepe, Lacazette i(f he stays) , Martinelli, Nketiah, Balogun because I think they'd all play a lot better with a partner. Plus with that midfield trio behind, there is room to tinker with different type of midfielders. From Smith Rowe, to Saka and Willock. But I doubt we'll ever see it happen.

OK, that's a fair argument.
i broadly agree - other than I do actually think Saka is our best player now. That said, yes his finishing is not the best yet. I wouldn't have him in a front 2 for sure.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:09 pm

Just need to play Saka- Laca - Gabi and we'll be fine.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:12 pm

Santi wrote:Just need to play Saka- Laca - Gabi and we'll be fine.

As front three that is the best combination we have - no doubt.
It will take a lot of guts to do the right thing and use Auba as a sub - considering his contract - and not sure Arteta has it in him to do it.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:26 pm

Think we have enough fire power right now. Once we stop conceding stupid goals, things will improve dramatically. That's the current focus.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jedi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:41 pm

ag6789 wrote:Think we have enough fire power right now. Once we stop conceding stupid goals, things will improve dramatically. That's the current focus.

Our defensive record was the 3rd best in the league last season. Now go ahead and check goals scored and compare them to any season with AW.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:54 pm

Jedi wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Think we have enough fire power right now. Once we stop conceding stupid goals, things will improve dramatically. That's the current focus.

Our defensive record was the 3rd best in the league last season. Now go ahead and check goals scored and compare them to any season with AW.

Exactly. I think we were 8th in terms of goals but someone can fact check that.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:10 pm

Jedi wrote:

We can compare apples to apples. Emery had the same players and squeezed 20 more PL goals across 51 games.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk