2021 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

How would you classify this transfer window?

Poor
41%
Average
41%
Good
6%
Great
13%

Total votes : 32

Re: 2021 Summer Transfer Window

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:29 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Jay ........ :sick:

:dontknow:

I like what I see.
There is real change in the air...and long overdue.
Arteta is building a young team that we should be getting behind.

Gabriel 23
Tierney 24
ESR 20
Saka 19
Sambi 21
Tavares 21
Martinelli 20

We'll see about Balogun also - whether he can step up.
If Ben White joins? he's 23

I find this to be exactly what was required.
I see a proper rebuild.
Now, of course, Arteta has to give all these guys a decent chance and in some cases build around them , like Gabriel, ESR, Saka and Martinelli.

Don't talk to me about big names either. Players like Mahrez and Kante were not big names when Leicester spotted them and brought them in.
Our fans need to get over their longing for so called ready made 'stars'

The big thing for me is what style of play Arteta imposes on the team.

Our team after these signings is no better "technically" and that's a fact, they may play better we're yet to see but on a technical level they're not an improvement.

Who's more valuable Lokonga or Xhaka? now I'm more than happy to swap but in the market Xhaka is more valuable, experience and name recognition.

So what I want to see is a proper philosophy, he can buy whoever he wants, but make us play competitive football, it can be defensive, it can offensive, whatever, just make it competitive.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Well I think the summer signings are pretty underwhelming to be honest, not asking for stars but would be good to have players with star potential.

Lokonga looks ok but he doesn’t seem to possess attributes that will turn him into a worldie to me, I’m so impressed with Tavares I had to look up who we signed as he was so memorable and we all know about overpriced White.

That money could have been used so much better.

We need players ready to perform now, not projects, we’re not in a position to wait a few years, we need instant impact.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:51 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I like what I see.

Gabriel 23
Tierney 24
ESR 20
Saka 19
Sambi 21
Tavares 21
Martinelli 20

I see a proper rebuild.
Now, of course, Arteta has to give all these guys a decent chance and in some cases build around them , like Gabriel, ESR, Saka and Martinelli.

Don't talk to me about big names either. Players like Mahrez and Kante were not big names when Leicester spotted them and brought them in.

Leicester’s scouring system is top notch, ours isn’t.

We'll see how our new signings do.
Until then talk of them being not good enough is nonsense.

Likewise it’s premature to talk about real change in the air, a couple nobodies and a 50 million defender who a lot of people had never even noticed before he got picked for England don’t signify “real change”.

Out of all our new signings, Saliba was the one I was really excited about in recent years, a CB with world or potential according to most sources, just a shame Arteta chose to ignore him for some unknown reason.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:23 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I like what I see.

Gabriel 23
Tierney 24
ESR 20
Saka 19
Sambi 21
Tavares 21
Martinelli 20

I see a proper rebuild.

Likewise it’s premature to talk about real change in the air, a couple nobodies and a 50 million defender who a lot of people had never even noticed before he got picked for England don’t signify “real change”.

Out of all our new signings, Saliba was the one I was really excited about in recent years, a CB with world or potential according to most sources, just a shame Arteta chose to ignore him for some unknown reason.

Stop with the Saliba stuff.
Even his new coach has said he has a lot to learn.
It simply seems like he is not ready for the PL.

It's not a surprise, though, that the one you were excited about is the one Arteta didn't want.. even though he is just as much of a 'nobody' as the players we are signing.

Forget about Saliba, he's gone.
Tavares, Sambi and possibly Ben White - they are the players we should be hoping do well for us. I suspect 2 or 3 more will be coming in too.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:50 am

Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:04 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I like what I see.

Gabriel 23
Tierney 24
ESR 20
Saka 19
Sambi 21
Tavares 21
Martinelli 20

I see a proper rebuild.

Stop with the Saliba stuff.
Even his new coach has said he has a lot to learn.
It simply seems like he is not ready for the PL.

It's not a surprise, though, that the one you were excited about is the one Arteta didn't want.. even though he is just as much of a 'nobody' as the players we are signing.

Forget about Saliba, he's gone.
Tavares, Sambi and possibly Ben White - they are the players we should be hoping do well for us. I suspect 2 or 3 more will be coming in too.

Thing is Saliba came with a high reputation and has backed it up since we signed him.

None of the three players we’ve signed have been touted as highly, even White who cost a lot was relatively under the radar.

I don’t for one second believe Saliba wasn’t ready, for what we’ve seen there’s little evidence of that either, as has been said before, Fofana came from the same club was the same age and wasn’t rated as highly and excelled in the PL for Leicester.

I’m not expecting much from the signings we made to honest, two of them are not PL ready or established enough anyway and the other one is a player I wouldn’t have chosen to sign.

You might be excited, personally I’m not by these players, it would be different if these young players were being recognised as some of the biggest young talents in Europe, but they’re not really.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:10 am

50 mil for a guy with 36 top flight games. And Jay wants us to believe he’s better than Saliba
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:17 am

For me it was a no brainer, we had a guy we didn’t need to pay for ready to go, we should have used him and not wasted 50 million on White.

On that basis this isn’t a good signing. Frankly I don’t care if Arteta thinks Saliba is ready or not, I don’t trust a rookie manager who’s got us 8th twice in a row and has had us playing awful football and not showing tangible (not statistical) progress.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:46 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Words of a Sunday School song come to mind.... "A wise man built his house upon the rocks" and it stood firm after it rained. A "foolish man built his house upon the sand" and when it rained his house fell flat.

I liken that to what you are saying Jay, how are you gonna rebuild a team with bare youngsters, where are the experienced heads ? Where are the leaders ? To me this rebuild is gonna collapse without some players the youngsters can look up to and be led by. The rebuild should be established respected senior players augmented with young players.

Leaders don't have to be old and experienced.
Tony Adams was a leader at 21 for us. In fact, our entire back 4/5 in those days were leaders at a young age.
Tierney is 23 and already a leader within the team.
Saka already leads by example.
ESR is playing like he's 10ft tall.
Martinelli is fearless.

Then we do have older players with experience anyway - like Partey.

Frankly I have had enough of the 'experienced heads' being asked to lead. They haven't.
We've wasted time, effort and money on signing old has-beens like Willian and Luiz for literally no benefit and dishing out massive contracts to the likes of Auba for no benefit.

I want to see Arteta build this squad for the future and I am encouraged to see younger players coming in to add to what we've produced ourselves from Hale End.

Will it work? I don;t know, but I do know the approach we've taken for a long time now has not worked, rather it's engrained a shitty culture of failure in the squad and the whole club. I've advocated a burn down and start again approach and I am hoping this window is the start of the real journey back.

You name Tony Adams as an example of leaders not needing to be old and experienced, a unique player of a generation, a one off !!! Are you telling me Tierney is a Tony Adams ? No freekin way !! How is Saka a leader ?! Bollox to this lead by example shit, that works for mature players, kids with all the emotions they have can't be led by other kids, it takes an experienced head to guide them therough their ups and downs Jay.

Who do you want to console Rashford after missing an England penalty, a Saka, a Tierney or a Keown ?!! This path Arteta is heading down will not end well if he does not add some experience to the team.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:50 am

Özim wrote:For me it was a no brainer, we had a guy we didn’t need to pay for ready to go, we should have used him and not wasted 50 million on White.

On that basis this isn’t a good signing. Frankly I don’t care if Arteta thinks Saliba is ready or not, I don’t trust a rookie manager who’s got us 8th twice in a row and has had us playing awful football and not showing tangible (not statistical) progress.

This, not exactly an exciting window for us is it, still, he should ( :pray: ) be gone by Christmas.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 am

I say again, Welbeck was Brighton's best player last season, I don't even remember Ben White. Tells me all I need to know about that.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:06 am

theHotHead wrote:I say again, Welbeck was Brighton's best player last season, I don't even remember Ben White. Tells me all I need to know about that.

HH - he’s likely a good player. Highly rated by Bielsa and Leeds where he was loaned. But he’s had one top flight season. If Arteta said I need a highly experienced world class CB like Varane for 50 mil to come in and stabilize the back line I would say sure. But this is another punt on the future and a bloody expensive one. Changing Holding for White is not going to move us up one single position on the league table.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:32 am

Meanwhile Spurs have signed a keeper who is also a rapper. Why can’t we sign rappers?
https://youtu.be/kqmi2KK3DsY
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:00 am

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I say again, Welbeck was Brighton's best player last season, I don't even remember Ben White. Tells me all I need to know about that.

HH - he’s likely a good player. Highly rated by Bielsa and Leeds where he was loaned. But he’s had one top flight season. If Arteta said I need a highly experienced world class CB like Varane for 50 mil to come in and stabilize the back line I would say sure. But this is another punt on the future and a bloody expensive one. Changing Holding for White is not going to move us up one single position on the league table.

Its interesting that Transfermarkt has his value at £25m, some common sense prevaileth. Why does it matter what Bielsa thinks ? I couldn't care less. with my own eyes the players didn't stand out.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:32 am

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:

Its interesting that Transfermarkt has his value at £25m, some common sense prevaileth. Why does it matter what Bielsa thinks ? I couldn't care less. with my own eyes the players didn't stand out.

I agree with you on the price and his immediate impact but I think there is a good player in him. Ironically everything positive said about him reminds me of Vermaelan who I recall we bought for 10 mil was it?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk