Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby swipe right » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:55 pm

And how did he neglect our midfield? In his final season we had Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Ozil, Xhaka and Mkhitaryan as our midfielders. That’s a pretty handy lot. A few of them were injured but that’s to be expected.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:15 pm

swipe right wrote:We finished second in 2016. That’s two years before he was fired. How that makes it ten years in decline I don’t know. You’d be doing cartwheels if we finish second any time in the next decade.

Because we finished second in a 2 horse race. He is not getting props for finishing second when we should've won the league that season, we won't get a better chance than 2016 and Wenger f***ked it up!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:We finished second in 2016. That’s two years before he was fired. How that makes it ten years in decline I don’t know. You’d be doing cartwheels if we finish second any time in the next decade.

Because we finished second in a 2 horse race. He is not getting props for finishing second when we should've won the league that season, we won't get a better chance than 2016 and Wenger f***ked it up!

No. We finished second in a 20 horse race. And for what it’s worth every fan thinks we should have won every season. But it’s going to be a looooooong fcking wait before the next Arsenal manager gets us to finish second.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:28 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:Laughable discussion. We have brought in 3 nobodies and people think that's Top 6 worthy?

Don't be silly.
We were a fraction from top 6 last year and we have young players with an extra year of experience, like ESR and Saka.
We already showed we had improved from the mess of the end of 2020 calendar year.
Add the right players - no need for them to be stars - and we have a very realistic shot at top 6.

LOL "2020 calendar year". You're still on this "last 5 months" inanity, when that period had Arteta fumbling numerous Top 6 chances, and taking us out of Europe with some of the dumbest galaxy brain tactics ever attempted in a European SF.

Wenger needed Alexis, Ozil, and others to make Top 6 towards the end. Tavares, Lokonga and White aren't going to change anything.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:30 pm

aniym wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:Laughable discussion. We have brought in 3 nobodies and people think that's Top 6 worthy?

Don't be silly.
We were a fraction from top 6 last year and we have young players with an extra year of experience, like ESR and Saka.
We already showed we had improved from the mess of the end of 2020 calendar year.
Add the right players - no need for them to be stars - and we have a very realistic shot at top 6.

LOL "2020 calendar year". You're still on this "last 5 months" inanity, when that period had Arteta fumbling numerous Top 6 chances, and taking us out of Europe with some of the dumbest galaxy brain tactics ever attempted in a European SF.

Wenger needed Alexis, Ozil, and others to make Top 6 towards the end. Tavares, Lokonga and White aren't going to change anything.

Yeah still on the current run of form... because, well, we're still on it.
Second best record in the league in 2021.
I'd like it to continue. If it does, top 6 is most certainly a very real likelihood.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:39 pm

swipe right wrote:And how did he neglect our midfield? In his final season we had Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Ozil, Xhaka and Mkhitaryan as our midfielders. That’s a pretty handy lot. A few of them were injured but that’s to be expected.

Are you impressed with that last season midfield ??? and its not even the last season midfield, its the entire decline, but since I called out when we had Ozil and Sanchez, in 2014-15 we had:

Hot headed Shezza in goal, we had Coquelin and a dead Flamini anchoring the middle and a poor Ramsey. Now I didn't call out our attacking weaknesses but I will now, we had Giroud and Welbeck leading the line.

A season later we had the same again but we brought in Iwobi and Elneny ! Cazorla didn't get much game time, Ramsey was still shite.

In 2016/17 Kos was shit, Merts didn't play, replaced by Mustafi and Holding, Cazorla didn't get much game time, we brought in Xhaka, Coquelin and Elneny also got game time. FFS, Xhaka/Elneny/Coquelin, possibly the worst CM partnerships since Selley and Hillier ! Dreadful defence, dreadful midfield.

The final season under Wenger, you list a load of has-beens, players in woeful form and players that didn't get game time. Wilshere was shit, Cazorla didn't play, Mkhi was shit, Xhaka is shit, Ramsey was nothing special, Ozil had a poor season. It was a terrible midfield and an even worse defence because Cech was shit, Bellerin was shit, Monreal was in decline.

I can't even believe I am having this conversation.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:42 pm

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

No. We finished second in a 20 horse race. And for what it’s worth every fan thinks we should have won every season. But it’s going to be a looooooong fcking wait before the next Arsenal manager gets us to finish second.

Mate, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Man U were going through a major transition, they were all poor, it was down to Arsenal and Tottenham to duke it out for the league title, we were on top at Christmas I believe, we got overtaken by Leicester and lost the title. We won't be in a situation where 4 of the biggest teams are going through a major transition again at the same time.

For Spurs it was worse, they finished 3rd in a 2 horse race.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:44 pm

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Mate, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Man U were going through a major transition, they were all poor, it was down to Arsenal and Tottenham to duke it out for the league title, we were on top at Christmas I believe, we got overtaken by Leicester and lost the title. We won't be in a situation where 4 of the biggest teams are going through a major transition again at the same time.

Honestly how the f**k is this even a conversation that has been driven from a simple point that it will be good to get top 6 this year and we might even get top 4 with some luck???????
Does anyone actually think otherwise?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:57 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Honestly how the f**k is this even a conversation that has been driven from a simple point that it will be good to get top 6 this year and we might even get top 4 with some luck???????

We aren’t getting top four, top six or anywhere close. Your boy Arteta will be sacked early next year when those idiots who own the club figure out that he’s a fraud with no practical experience and try desperately to save our season. Write this down and save it for posterity.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:01 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

We aren’t getting top four, top six or anywhere close. Your boy Arteta will be sacked early next year when those idiots who own the club figure out that he’s a fraud with no practical experience and try desperately to save our season. Write this down and save it for posterity.

We got close to top 6 last year so how do you figure were not going to get close this year?
I sincerely hope Arteta doesn't get sacked early next year because it will mean our season has collapsed. I would hope that you also feel the same.
As for the 'your boy Arteta' comment, that just highlights again that you are unable to think straight.
I am interested in how the team does, the progress we're showing and positive about the season ahead. I am not buying into your crap about everything being sh*t. That is not the same as being an Arteta fan, but that kind of nuance is lost on those that have literally lost their minds.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:10 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

We got close to top 6 last year so how do you figure were not going to get close this year?
I sincerely hope Arteta doesn't get sacked early next year because it will mean our season has collapsed. I would hope that you also feel the same.
As for the 'your boy Arteta' comment, that just highlights again that you are unable to think straight.
I am interested in how the team does, the progress we're showing and positive about the season ahead. I am not buying into your crap about everything being sh*t. That is not the same as being an Arteta fan, but that kind of nuance is lost on those that have literally lost their minds.

The only one who has lost his mind is you. We are being managed by an idiot with no experience and you think somehow he’s going to be mixing it up with the biggest clubs in England. It’s not going to happen. Watch us sink like a rock. Seeing reality for what it is doesn’t make me any less of an Arsenal fan than you.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:12 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

The only one who has lost his mind is you. We are being managed by an idiot with no experience and you think somehow he’s going to be mixing it up with the biggest clubs in England. It’s not going to happen. Watch us sink like a rock. Seeing reality for what it is doesn’t make me any less of an Arsenal fan than you.

Lol, whatever.
Just read back what you wrote - that we can;t get anywhere close to top 6!
It's an absurd statement on it's face given that this same manager with less experience got close to top 6 last year.
JHC.
:dontknow:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:15 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Lol, whatever.
It's an absurd statement on it's face given that this same manager with less experience got close to top 6 last year.
JHC.

But Jay we didn’t get top 6. We finished 8th. You can’t keep saying we got close to top six because we were two positions off. Close to top six would be finishing seventh by a point. We scraped eighth spot by some fcking miracle.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Lol, whatever.
JHC.

But Jay we didn’t get top 6. We finished 8th. You can’t keep saying we got close to top six because we were two positions off. Close to top six would be finishing seventh by a point. We scraped eighth spot by some fcking miracle.

We were literally 15 minutes away in the last game of the season from finishing 6th last year.
To suggest we can't get 'anywhere close' to top 6 this year is nonsensical - and you know it.
Just stop with the nonsense.
We get it , you hate Arteta, but I would hope you at least want the guy to succeed.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:18 pm

I find it sad that this is what you’re holding on to. 15 minutes from finishing sixth.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk