Emile Smith Rowe (10)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Emile Smith Rowe (32)

Postby ag6789 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:38 pm

If I remember correctly, RVP was offered about 130k/wk w/5mil in bonus if trophies were won during his contract term. But Untd came with 230k/wk w/other perks ( I don't know all), and he had agreed behind the scenes. Eventually Wenger let him go when it became clear he wasn't going to change his mind and also to preserve the dressing room sanity.
We did bring in Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla that year, so if the squad quality was in question, then RVP was not entirely truthful in his admission.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:40 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Best full back we ever had, you bloody bitters.

Some people are twisted because good players left in their prime. Ashley Cole had his reasons to go, he was punked (albeit in not a major way) by Arsenal. RVP was sold because Wenger didn't want him - Wenger sold him to Man U but people think RVP pushed for a move there. Its nonsense. People drinking far too much bitters.

Wenger didn’t want RvP? You off the wagon again?

RVP wanted to go to Man Utd but that's after the club messed up the Juve deal. They didn't offer RVP a new contract.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport.com/football/696886/robin-van-persie-arsenal-manchester-united-ivan-gazidis/amp/

I don't think he's lying either. I remember the club kept putting out feeder stories about not being able to compete financially with Man City etc at a time where fans were chanting for RVP to sign a new deal.

Exactly, I remember seeing an article that RVP was open to stay if the club matched his ambitions, however, the club didn't offer a contract and then after a discussion with Wenger/Gazidis the club were not going in the direction RVP wanted them to. Wenger then decided to sell RVP to Man U after that infamous cheeky phone call from SAF. RVP didn't initiate any move to Man U.

They also could have just chosen to let him play out that last year of his contract instead of selling to Utd. I don't know what's wrong with the club hierarchy but a year later we sign Ozil and have access to the new sponsorship money. We didn’t need that £25m from Utd at the time and especially when they knew we were on the verge of a massive financial boost.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm

swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Best full back we ever had, you bloody bitters.

Some people are twisted because good players left in their prime. Ashley Cole had his reasons to go, he was punked (albeit in not a major way) by Arsenal. RVP was sold because Wenger didn't want him - Wenger sold him to Man U but people think RVP pushed for a move there. Its nonsense. People drinking far too much bitters.

Wenger didn’t want RvP? You off the wagon again?

RVP wanted to go to Man Utd but that's after the club messed up the Juve deal. They didn't offer RVP a new contract.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport.com/football/696886/robin-van-persie-arsenal-manchester-united-ivan-gazidis/amp/

I don't think he's lying either. I remember the club kept putting out feeder stories about not being able to compete financially with Man City etc at a time where fans were chanting for RVP to sign a new deal.

That summer Wenger had a cataract operation. Gazidis put a deal in front of RvP but he rejected. He wanted to be sold. Gazidis wanted Wenger to return and talk to RvP. So he tried stalling him by going on vacation for two weeks and avoiding his calls. In the meantime, Juve dropped their interest. When Wenger returned, the three of them met as Wenger’s home. Evidently Wenger was wearing an eye patch. Wenger tried to convince him to stay but RvP made some absurd demands like wanting a say in who we signed. He then left and released that letter to the fans. At which point Wenger called Fergie and did a deal so he could use the money to buy a replacement. Or two as it turns out - Giroud and Podolski.

RVP is adamant about no contract being offered or money being discussed. I believe that. The club were saying all year they couldn't match the wages of bigger clubs. Gazidis ducking RVP's calls and stalling is what RVP is referring to. I don't think RVP was outline asking about our transfer plans if he's going to commit to being here for the rest of his career. Henry did the same and both just went about it the wrong way but I'm happy to see former Arsenal players win what they couldn't win with us.

Happy to see RVP at least win a league title. Same goes for seeing Cesc's career and also happy Henry finally won the Champs League. It's a shame they couldn't do it here but I don't believe in holding players back if they out grow the club. It's our job as a club to match the players ambition and not remain stagnant. We just haven't been competitive enough. I'm sure we'd have liked to have kept RVP but on a cheap contract because he was 30 and injury prone. I'm also sure RVP would have stayed if he felt the club was going somewhere. Nearly a decade since he left and look at us!

Typically clubs only put formal contracts before the player once a verbal understanding on terms are reached. So technically RvP is probably truthful in saying it never got to that stage but I suspect it’s because he made clear he wouldn’t sign. At the time he was singlehandedly carrying the club on his shoulders and I can’t imagine that Wenger would want to sell a player he nursed and indulged for eight seasons when he finally reached his prime. It doesn’t add up.

I disagree. I remember when RVP was on a goal run and the media kept asking about the contract situation, PHW said we can't match City's wages. I also remember Wenger questioning if it were wise to give a massive contract to a player in his 30s. That's always been Wenger's stance and the club were playing PR games, dampening expectations of a resolution.

Wenger even came out years later and said big clubs were after him but they couldn't match the offer. Not once has anyone said they offered him good money and he turned it down. When we had signed Podolski, Giroud and Cazorla, rumours were floating that RVP wanted to stay but the Wenger said it was too late. I also believe that's possible because Wenger also said that RVP called him and asked for a return to the club after leaving Utd. We had Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla, Ramsey, we looked more like the squad he we asking for originally.

Then why did RvP make it about the club not matching his ambitions and put off the fans? Why not just come out and say I’d like to stay but they haven’t offered me a contract?

I think you've missed a lot of what I've been saying if you're asking that.

You only have to look around today to get the answer.

The club were trying to paint the narrative that it was all about money for RVP. You can see it in RVP's statement that it wasn't. You can choose not to believe that but again, we chose to sell to Utd instead of Juve. Why? Also, we could have allowed RVP to run down his contract, take risk of him leaving on a free because we knew we were about to.get a massive cash injection from the sponsors.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:26 pm

ag6789 wrote:If I remember correctly, RVP was offered about 130k/wk w/5mil in bonus if trophies were won during his contract term. But Untd came with 230k/wk w/other perks ( I don't know all), and he had agreed behind the scenes. Eventually Wenger let him go when it became clear he wasn't going to change his mind and also to preserve the dressing room sanity.
We did bring in Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla that year, so if the squad quality was in question, then RVP was not entirely truthful in his admission.

He rejected the contract. You're right. He said it himself but lately with him and Cesc, they're just trying to chummy up with Gooners.

The offer was £130k a week.

Three clubs were in for him: Juve, City, and United. Juve lowballed us with a £13m offer. Plus, van Persie didn't want to go to Juve. Man City were willing to offer him £250k a week. It was down to him. SAF called Wenger and offered a bigger transfer fee. They also agreed to match City's wages. Ultimately, the decision lay on van Persie. He listened to the, "little boy inside him," who screamed ManU. His words, not mine.

As you can read in the letter, van Persie explicitly stated that he turned down our contract offer.

The sad bit is—with Cesc and van Persie—they're rewriting history these days. Cesc is diplomatic to the core and sings praises of Chelsea and Arsenal, both. van Persie is more open in his love for ManU, but he speaks as if he was unwanted at Arsenal, and ManU made him feel at him.

It's a case of both of them unable to digest that they're not legends at either clubs. Cesc is well below the likes of Drogba, Terry, Cech, Lampard, Cole, Hazard, etc. van Persie has to contend with Scholes, Giggs, Rio, Vidic, Rooney, etc. They did win titles there but they're not held in the same regard.

That's why both of them are trying to shape a narrative to be in the good books of both clubs. Chelsea and Arsenal for Cesc; ManU and Arsenal for van Persie.

I'd really respect them more if they were honest. They did what they had to. In hindsight, they wanted to win titles. They felt they couldn't at Arsenal. They opted to leave. They won.

That's all there is to it. These media games and PR stunts are unnecessary.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:43 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8243115/Robin-van-Persie-DENIES-handed-new-contract-Arsenal-controversial-Man-United.html

And partly it was the fact that Arsenal did not offer me a new deal. So if I look back at that, I should have done that better.

'I can promise you on my kids, if someone comes with proof that Arsenal offered me a deal, I will give you a million [pounds] now, today.'

You guys could get a million if you can find a source saying he rejected this contract. I haven't found anything that said we offered him a new contract.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:47 pm

Angelito wrote:Robin van Persie's open letter to fans after the 11/12 season:

The letter from Robin Van Persie to the Arsenal fans in full, taken from the player's official website:

"This is an update for the fans about my current situation. I have kept quiet all this time out of respect and loyalty for the club and as agreed with Mr. Gazidis and Mr. Wenger, but since there is so much speculation in the media, I think it is fair for you guys to know what's really going on at the moment.

As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the Boss and Mr. Gazidis after the season.

This was a meeting about the club's future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.

I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days.

Out of my huge respect for Mr. Wenger, the players and the fans I don't want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract.

You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions.

I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC.

Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch.

I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last 8 years. As soon as Mr. Gazidis is back from his 2-week holiday in America further meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments."

Robin van Persie

This is penned by van Persie himself. He clearly states it here.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:55 pm

Angelito wrote:

The letter from Robin Van Persie to the Arsenal fans in full, taken from the player's official website:

"This is an update for the fans about my current situation. I have kept quiet all this time out of respect and loyalty for the club and as agreed with Mr. Gazidis and Mr. Wenger, but since there is so much speculation in the media, I think it is fair for you guys to know what's really going on at the moment.

As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the Boss and Mr. Gazidis after the season.

This was a meeting about the club's future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.

I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days.

Out of my huge respect for Mr. Wenger, the players and the fans I don't want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract.

You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions.

I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC.

Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch.

I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last 8 years. As soon as Mr. Gazidis is back from his 2-week holiday in America further meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments."

Robin van Persie

You highlight the part where he says he was offered a new contract?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:58 pm

Power n Glory wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8243115/Robin-van-Persie-DENIES-handed-new-contract-Arsenal-controversial-Man-United.html

And partly it was the fact that Arsenal did not offer me a new deal. So if I look back at that, I should have done that better.

'I can promise you on my kids, if someone comes with proof that Arsenal offered me a deal, I will give you a million [pounds] now, today.'

You guys could get a million if you can find a source saying he rejected this contract. I haven't found anything that said we offered him a new contract.

Of course we offered him a new contract!

It was a typical Wenger poverty contract, but it was offered. Wenger allowed him to talk to Utd behind the scenes, but probably did not try to counteroffer after hearing it was a £250k pw deal.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:21 pm

aniym wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8243115/Robin-van-Persie-DENIES-handed-new-contract-Arsenal-controversial-Man-United.html

Of course we offered him a new contract!

It was a typical Wenger poverty contract, but it was offered. Wenger allowed him to talk to Utd behind the scenes, but probably did not try to counteroffer after hearing it was a £250k pw deal.

They paid lipservice about wanting to keep him. There isn't a story out there that says RVP rejected a formal offer from us. Look for a story if you can find one. It's very easy for Wenger or Gazidis to respond to RVP's claims today. They had an idea of how much clubs were willing to pay for a top striker and waited until the summer to negotiate without making a formal offer.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:23 pm

Angelito wrote:I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract.

You don't decide not to extend a contract that was never offered. If you're so adamant that the club didn't offer you a contract, you don't say you disagree with the club's strategy, and a contract isn't what you're thinking about at all. It would be quite the opposite.

"The club and I talked about my situation, but the club made it clear that they don't wish to offer me a new contract, which is why I'm leaving.

Thanks you fans.

Goodbye,

RvP."
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:21 pm

Angelito wrote:
Angelito wrote:I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract.

You don't decide not to extend a contract that was never offered. If you're so adamant that the club didn't offer you a contract, you don't say you disagree with the club's strategy, and a contract isn't what you're thinking about at all. It would be quite the opposite.

"The club and I talked about my situation, but the club made it clear that they don't wish to offer me a new contract, which is why I'm leaving.

Thanks you fans.

Goodbye,

RvP."

That doesn't say he was offered a new contract. If you hear Arsenal are talking to a club about signing a player but we don't actually table a bid, what does that tell you? How serious are we if don't actually make a bid?

There wasn't an attempt to match an offer from a rival or make our best offer for RVP to think about. We gave up after the first hurdle. There was no resolve to keep him and as said, they could have allowed him to run his contact down instead of accepting the money from Utd.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:20 pm

Angelito wrote:

Robin van Persie

There is no mention of him being offered a contract Angelito. If I have a contract and decide not to renew it, that's not the same as being offered a renewal!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:24 pm

Angelito wrote:

Thanks you fans.

Goodbye,

RvP."

Yes you do. I am a contractor, if I didn't want to stay at that company past my contract end date I would say I am not going to renew my contract, I don't need to be offered a contract to say that though, thats how you would announce that you intend to leave. You might give notice - if your contract has a notice period and if things got really bad, otherwise you would see out your contract and not renew it.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:35 pm

Laughable to think Wenger would not offer him a new contract after all those years of patience. Patience with his rape allegations, patience with his fitness, patience with turning him into a center forward. And then once he makes it, dumping him? Nope. Not having it. Anyone who followed the club that season knows how important it was to hold on to him.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:28 am

Personally never blame RVP for leaving, he wanted to win stuff and this club had no ambition to do so, he moved on he won a title, here we are today stuck in midtable with a nobody in charge.

The ambition of the club evaporated the day the Kroenkes took charge, I’d argue the driving force behind our ambition was. Dein though, once he left the club seemed to lack direction.

He made a terrible error introducing my the Kroenkes but he was very ambitious and getting a wealthy owner was in his view a way of getting us to compete. Unfortunately he didn’t do his homework and lumbered us with these awful owners.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk