Andre Onana

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Andre Onana

Postby Callum » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:30 pm

Özim wrote:If he gets a ban, not sure this signing should be lauded.

Chelsea terminated Mutu’s contract for using an illegal substance.

Doesn’t surprise me though, this club will do anything for a cheap signing.

Mutu was sacked after he was found to have taken cocaine and was banned for 7 months. Onana was banned for taking a diuretic, which he claims belongs to his wife. It wasn't a performance-enhancing drug by any means but it can sometimes be used to mask the fact you've taken a PED.

Ultimately, I think it's a wise thing for us to look for opportunities like this in the market. Before his ban he would have likely been unaffordable, and now we have an opportunity to sign a genuinely top class goalkeeper at a heavily discounted rate. If he can't play until 2022 then that's an issue but given the reported fees, I think it'd be too good a deal to turn down.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:35 am

Instead of signing players with glass bones we are no going to sign druggies on bans, that's progression
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:39 am

Callum wrote:

Mutu was sacked after he was found to have taken cocaine and was banned for 7 months. Onana was banned for taking a diuretic, which he claims belongs to his wife. It wasn't a performance-enhancing drug by any means but it can sometimes be used to mask the fact you've taken a PED.

Ultimately, I think it's a wise thing for us to look for opportunities like this in the market. Before his ban he would have likely been unaffordable, and now we have an opportunity to sign a genuinely top class goalkeeper at a heavily discounted rate. If he can't play until 2022 then that's an issue but given the reported fees, I think it'd be too good a deal to turn down.

Isn’t that what Kolo did?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:19 am

Callum wrote:

Yes it was different true, not sure I agree with ignoring as player being banned just because it suits us though.

If he gets banned until 2022 it also means we won’t have him for over half a season and I can’t see the logic in that either, we’d need to spend on another keeper as well.

Plus being from Cameroon we have the ANC issue, if he’s called up we’ll not have him for up to a month.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:07 am

Apparently this guy has been recommended by our goalkeeping coach Cana, the same guy who recommended Runarsson.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:24 pm

Özim wrote:Apparently this guy has been recommended by our goalkeeping coach Cana, the same guy who recommended Runarsson.

Runarrson is a 25yo third division rookie

Onana has been playing CL w/ Ajax since at least 2018. I could have scouted him.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:36 pm

Cana was with him at Barca, he didn’t scout him.

Obama is out of contract next summer anyway, shouldn’t we just let his ban run it’s course and then try and sign him for free if we need to get a backup to cover his ban?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:00 pm

Özim wrote:Cana was with him at Barca, he didn’t scout him.

Obama is out of contract next summer anyway, shouldn’t we just let his ban run it’s course and then try and sign him for free if we need to get a backup to cover his ban?

What is your point? Maybe Onana sucked in 2015. Today, he's more established than any of our keepers including Leno. Getting a CL quality gooalkeeper well under 30yo for £2m is a steal.

Now if Edu gives him £150k pw, it doesn't work out and he becomes impossible to sell, then we have a problem.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Paddy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:07 pm

Andre onana's ban has been reduced to October.

Bring him in
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:16 am

November I think, he got 9 months.

Still it means we’d need to buy another keeper as well and be without him for 3 months.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Paddy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:05 am

We should resign Ryan as backup. I liked him.

Play him till onana is available.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:50 pm

He can start training w/ first team in September, November is when he can officially play competitively.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:07 pm

The guy is a top top top class keeper as Thierry would say, who unless he is massively into his extreme and endurance sports and could make Bear Grylls look like a lame dick cry baby, should stay away from Arsenal for the sake of his mental health, fulfilment of ambitions and enjoyment of football. Way too good for our club and will go to Chelsea after Arsenal have done all the ground works once again
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:59 am

This seems to have gone quiet, talk is we have to sell Leno first.

Let me get this right, we have to sell the only keeper we have to buy another keeper? I think we should line someone up then look to sell Leno personally.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:22 pm

Özim wrote:This seems to have gone quiet, talk is we have to sell Leno first.

Let me get this right, we have to sell the only keeper we have to buy another keeper? I think we should line someone up then look to sell Leno personally.

I'd wager that once the ban got reduced, other clubs registered their interest and now the player is reviewing his options.

Our options on the other hand: Matt Ryan, Aaron Ramsdale and that 4th choice Newcastle GK. You couldn't make it up.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill