Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby Paddy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:11 pm

I did.

And I proved you wrong again :roflmao:
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:22 pm

Santi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:
aniym wrote:
Santi wrote:'arteta kept xhaka and plays him every game' ;)

Well, he did. 31/38 PL games last season. First name on the team sheet. This is after he spent £45m on a replacement and made him look like Frimpong.

Xhaka was the main cheerleader for Arteta and Emery in the locker room; without him, the players are either apathetic or actively dislike them both. With him gone, it's over for Arteta.

No, he used what he had available and Xhaka unfortunately was one of our best options. Now he has a chance to sell him and is doing so.

Shows all you moaners for what you are lol.

Name a situation where Xhaka is a better alternative than Elneny.

lol what, most people on here thought elneny was pure trash before this season :rofll: yet you'll give arteta no credit for him doing decent this season but still claim he's a better option than xhaka.

it's hilarious the dancing you guys do to try and make sure you're always on the right side of things :rofll:

I cannot speak for others, but I have never said Xhaka is better than Elneny. Xhaka is shit, Elneny is mediocre, Elneny can at least defend and run, Xhaka can't. Xhaka is shit offensively and defensively, he is a pointless CM, you can at least find a role for Elneny doing the basics, screening the defence and he won't be a liability.

So while you acknowledged "most people" thought Elneny was trash - which is true - everyone didn't. Elneny is not Arsenal quality at all, hence why I want him gone, but he is at least more reliable, less of a liability and of more use than Xhaka

And I'm still waiting for someone to give me a scenario where Xhaka is a better alternative than Elneny.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:48 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:
aniym wrote:

Well, he did. 31/38 PL games last season. First name on the team sheet. This is after he spent £45m on a replacement and made him look like Frimpong.

Xhaka was the main cheerleader for Arteta and Emery in the locker room; without him, the players are either apathetic or actively dislike them both. With him gone, it's over for Arteta.

No, he used what he had available and Xhaka unfortunately was one of our best options. Now he has a chance to sell him and is doing so.

lol what, most people on here thought elneny was pure trash before this season :rofll: yet you'll give arteta no credit for him doing decent this season but still claim he's a better option than xhaka.

it's hilarious the dancing you guys do to try and make sure you're always on the right side of things :rofll:

I cannot speak for others, but I have never said Xhaka is better than Elneny. Xhaka is shit, Elneny is mediocre, Elneny can at least defend and run, Xhaka can't. Xhaka is shit offensively and defensively, he is a pointless CM, you can at least find a role for Elneny doing the basics, screening the defence and he won't be a liability.

So while you acknowledged "most people" thought Elneny was trash - which is true - everyone didn't. Elneny is not Arsenal quality at all, hence why I want him gone, but he is at least more reliable, less of a liability and of more use than Xhaka

And I'm still waiting for someone to give me a scenario where Xhaka is a better alternative than Elneny.

Well the last part purely comes down to perception so not sure exactly what you are looking for. I liked the Elneny Partey combo against Man Utd, when they ran the show, but then the same combo got overrun by Spurs/someone shit in their next app together and they've shown hit and miss form together in the limited time they got.

Xhaka and Partey wasn't great either but given the 3 main CM's we had last season, I'd have opted for this more often than not as well and I have been a defender of Elneny because people slated him far more than he ever deserved.

The latter (Elneny) is a pure steady eddy who will give you basic bland performances more often than not, he will sit there and do the basics that nobody else seems to want to do. Xhaka makes more high profile mistakes and he is a massive c*** but he's a better player, we're just all sick of seeing him.

FWIW I'd sell Xhaka (very happy about this) when we get a replacement and keep Elneny as a decent backup.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:41 am

One major difference here.

Elneny is and always has been a squad player, someone to cover who has a decent game in him every so often, always reliable though to play as a midfield enforcer as well.

Xhaka on the other hand was first choice CM, LB, every game, you name it, also as I mentioned in another thread about Xhaka and Neves, its not that any of these players is so much better in quality, its the things they do during the game I don't like from Xhaka.

Slowing up our play and taking way too long to do anything, he also used to have those regular clown moments and red cards.

He's been tragic and despite his somewhat improvements he's still doing the same effect on our game, and I want rid of it.

To summerise we spend £35m on Xhaka and Elneny cost what £6m? also take wages into account and that's why I prefer Elneny > Xhaka, because Elneny is at least as good as his billing as a back up, Xhaka is not good for 1st choice starter.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:15 pm

Yes but that 6m backup would've been playing 31 games if Xhaka hadn't been there, so the point was we had to make use of him and now he's getting binned...which is long overdue.

Hopefully the replacement isn't just Azeez...
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:30 pm

GTFOH, GraniteBrain!

FINALLY!!!
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:05 pm

Santi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:
aniym wrote:

Well the last part purely comes down to perception so not sure exactly what you are looking for. I liked the Elneny Partey combo against Man Utd, when they ran the show, but then the same combo got overrun by Spurs/someone shit in their next app together and they've shown hit and miss form together in the limited time they got.

Xhaka and Partey wasn't great either but given the 3 main CM's we had last season, I'd have opted for this more often than not as well and I have been a defender of Elneny because people slated him far more than he ever deserved.

The latter (Elneny) is a pure steady eddy who will give you basic bland performances more often than not, he will sit there and do the basics that nobody else seems to want to do. Xhaka makes more high profile mistakes and he is a massive c*** but he's a better player, we're just all sick of seeing him.

FWIW I'd sell Xhaka (very happy about this) when we get a replacement and keep Elneny as a decent backup.

Elneny didn’t play in the 2- 0 defeat at Spurs
He was on the bench
No it wasn’t the same combo at Spurs
Elneny didn’t play
Last edited by starmandb on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Santi » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:20 pm

Yeah mate couldn’t remember who hence I put /someone shit ;)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Paddy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:51 pm

Atalanta and Switzerland midfielder Remo Freuler: "Earlier he (Xhaka) asked me how the roads in Italy are." [@footballitalia]
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Ach » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:52 pm

Swiss midfielder Granit Xhaka's transfer from Arsenal to Jose Mourinho's Roma is not expected to be finalised any time soon because the two clubs have reached a 'stalemate' in negotiations for the 28-year-old. (Corriere dello Sport via Express)
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:59 pm

Appaz we've turned down three bids from them so far.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 am

aniym wrote:Appaz we've turned down three bids from them so far.

Lets hope this isn't Arteta trying to keep hold of his favourite.

Tbf this is probably AFC trying to put a stop to clubs taking the piss with their transfer requests.

We're known for being a soft touch and accepting lowball offers yet we buy high.

However in this case I seriously hope we can get it done.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Slick » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:49 am

Good grief. Every time I open this thread it is with anticipation of reading that this turd gets flushed and I wind up disappointed every time.
Slick
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:29 am

We’ve rejected the bids for him so far apparently, playing with fire here, we might get lumbered with him in the end which would be a massive step backwards.

As for the rest of our business, as usual it’s going at a snails pace and not going too well.

Also premier league clubs are said to have made a cumulative £1bn loss, I’d bet a big chunk is us since we rely so much on match day income, which probably doesn’t bode too well for our transfers.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby #ST » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:50 am

Please let this deal happen. It would be the one positive of this season; at the end of it getting rid of this liability that keeps making it to the team sheet.
Last edited by #ST on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @09-03-'24 = 2 - 1 Brentford
Next game @03-04-'24 = VS Luton [ Block 121 - Seat 847 ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to World Football