Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:52 am

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Why Have Arsenal Allowed Their Standards To Slip So Drastically Under Mikel Arteta?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/grahamruth ... cfbaf358a5

The author of the article is an idiot. How is he going to say there is a lack of alarm at Arsenal, from the hierarchy and the fans and then saying Spurs are still in various competitions and there is more noise there. Nonsense. What more noise is there? The Spurs hierachy have said f**k all, Spurs fans are no more vocal than us, we moan more than they do!! They are used to not winning shit!

There are no fans at stadiums either, so how does this eejut know what the fans are saying!!

HH - you can bet Mou gets the sack before Mikel.

Yeah I feel the same. But there is no way the fans are happy which is what the author stated.

I think quite a large portion of the fan base are content to be mid-table.
I see it all the time in defence of performances and players and lowering expectations.
Started seeing it under Wenger - where he became far more important than the club itself in the eyes of far too many fans.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:58 pm

Well they are some strange fans then ! Not sure how anyone can see where we were 10 years ago let alone 20 and be ok with our decline.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Why Have Arsenal Allowed Their Standards To Slip So Drastically Under Mikel Arteta?

The author of the article is an idiot. How is he going to say there is a lack of alarm at Arsenal, from the hierarchy and the fans and then saying Spurs are still in various competitions and there is more noise there. Nonsense. What more noise is there? The Spurs hierachy have said f**k all, Spurs fans are no more vocal than us, we moan more than they do!! They are used to not winning shit!

There are no fans at stadiums either, so how does this eejut know what the fans are saying!!

Yeah I feel the same. But there is no way the fans are happy which is what the author stated.

I see it all the time in defence of performances and players and lowering expectations.
Started seeing it under Wenger - where he became far more important than the club itself in the eyes of far too many fans.

None of our fans are content to be mid table. Not a single one. But some of us have experienced it before, and know that it's just a matter of time before we are successful again. In the meantime it's pointless to continually moan.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby swipe right » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

None of our fans are content to be mid table. Not a single one. But some of us have experienced it before, and know that it's just a matter of time before we are successful again. In the meantime it's pointless to continually moan.

Entitled?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Rockape » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:48 pm

Yep, and its fecking boring too! I love a good rant and moan occasionally, but this relentless dirge will just drive posters away.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:50 pm

Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Is it just a matter of time? It’s been 15+ years since we were successful and we’re worse than we ever have been since then, if anything we’re getting worse there’s no signs of improvement of success.

This constant support for managers who don’t perform is a problem, with I’m sorry but midtable shouldn’t be acceptable and should be a sackable offence.

Every year it’s the same, expectations are lowered and some fans defend the manager, first we went from challenging, top 2 to settling in the top 4.

Then we had to fight to get 4th every year, then we dropped to top 6, now it’s midtable. Everytime those same fans support the process and accept it.

Now we’re midtable and it’s accepted, excuses left right and centre, it’s the refs, it’s the lack of quality players, it’s the players not performing, it’s never the manager poor guy has got it tough, first management job in football with zero credentials handed to him on a plate by a big club with no ambition, earning big money for a nobody as well.

It’s really tough for him, he’s been handed and awful squad with players like Tierney, Auba, Laca, Saliba, Pepe, Saka, ESR and only got to spend on the likes of Partey, Soares, Ceballos, Gabriel, Odergaard, it’s really tough for him it really is.

There’s a real losers mentality amongst some Arsenal fans there really is, this club should never be midtable and anyone that takes us there should be sacked without hesitation, especially when he’s been outperformed by those before him who were deemed not good enough.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 pm

Rockape wrote:

Yep, and its fecking boring too! I love a good rant and moan occasionally, but this relentless dirge will just drive posters away.

Maybe ask the manager to do his job properly, he’s the reason people aren’t happy, he’s had us stuck in midtable or lower all season, that’s the equivalent of relegation for a club of our stature, we should never be anywhere near midtable, but we have been since he arrived.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:02 pm

Our slip from top 4 began with the arrival of Xhakha ( 2nd last yr of Wenger reign?). Slow decline since then through 3 other managers. Probably end w/ his departure. He has been the hallmark of mediocrity.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:18 pm

Rockape wrote:

It already has.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:21 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Eh?

Mou is already feeling the heat. The media have been more vocal about him than Arteta. He's also started throwing players under the bus and when that happens under Mou, it's usually curtains for him.

Unlike at Arsenal, Spurs need to dish out £30m if they were to sack Mourinho. Otherwise, I feel Levy would have absolutely pulled the trigger.

You also have to recall that Spurs are a media darling. As you might have noticed, the whole hullabaloo about a power shift in North London has died down even when they're ahead of us in the table.

Arsenal fans, meanwhile, have remained loyal towards Arteta. Media outlets don't criticize him and the general narrative, this far, has been about bigging up his accolades here rather than highlighting his underperformance.

Heck, at the start of the season, these media people were criticizing Pep. Some Citizens were calling for his head for the poor start.

Absurdity has been a theme for fans of various clubs as well as pundits and journalists this season.

Meanwhile, at Arsenal, there were murmurs of a new contract on the table for Arteta in the summer. There's no talk about his job ever being in jeopardy, with talks surmounting to Arteta receiving the biggest budget of any Arsenal manager in history this up-coming summer.

The tide is changing. Slowly but surely. Even if Arsenal honchos are more than pleased given Arteta's performance, the fans will turn on him if this calamity persists.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Santi wrote:
Rockape wrote:

It already has.

I don't come in as often.

It gets depressing. Echoes of Wenger's final years when the moaning was at an epically tedious level.

Some on here are like those things from Harry Potter that suck the life out of everything.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:16 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Santi wrote:
Rockape wrote:

It already has.

I don't come in as often.

It gets depressing. Echoes of Wenger's final years when the moaning was at an epically tedious level.

Some on here are like those things from Harry Potter that suck the life out of everything.

A forum of football fans is simply a reflection of how fans are feeling about the progress or lack of progress in relation to the club.
There really isn;t much life left to suck out of the club in all honesty. Its been a shambles for many years.

We're 10th in the league - what kind of positivity are you looking for?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:19 pm

Angelito wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Eh?

Mou is already feeling the heat. The media have been more vocal about him than Arteta. He's also started throwing players under the bus and when that happens under Mou, it's usually curtains for him.

Unlike at Arsenal, Spurs need to dish out £30m if they were to sack Mourinho. Otherwise, I feel Levy would have absolutely pulled the trigger.

You also have to recall that Spurs are a media darling. As you might have noticed, the whole hullabaloo about a power shift in North London has died down even when they're ahead of us in the table.

Arsenal fans, meanwhile, have remained loyal towards Arteta. Media outlets don't criticize him and the general narrative, this far, has been about bigging up his accolades here rather than highlighting his underperformance.

Heck, at the start of the season, these media people were criticizing Pep. Some Citizens were calling for his head for the poor start.

Absurdity has been a theme for fans of various clubs as well as pundits and journalists this season.

Meanwhile, at Arsenal, there were murmurs of a new contract on the table for Arteta in the summer. There's no talk about his job ever being in jeopardy, with talks surmounting to Arteta receiving the biggest budget of any Arsenal manager in history this up-coming summer.

The tide is changing. Slowly but surely. Even if Arsenal honchos are more than pleased given Arteta's performance, the fans will turn on him if this calamity persists.

It's odd how there hasn't been as much criticism for Arteta in the mainstream media. For Sky, I know Neville has that whole stance on new managers needing a chance which could have an influence on how they report on Arsenal but it doesn't explain everywhere else.

Even for Arsenal fan podcasts, you can sense the split in opinion from the different hosts on the same show. Some you can tell are sold on Arteta and are willing to give him a chance, others aren't. If you listen to The Tuesday Club, Arseblog or Arsenal Vision Podcast this season you can tell. It's very odd.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Is it just a matter of time? It’s been 15+ years since we were successful and we’re worse than we ever have been since then, if anything we’re getting worse there’s no signs of improvement of success.

This constant support for managers who don’t perform is a problem, with I’m sorry but midtable shouldn’t be acceptable and should be a sackable offence.

Every year it’s the same, expectations are lowered and some fans defend the manager, first we went from challenging, top 2 to settling in the top 4.

Then we had to fight to get 4th every year, then we dropped to top 6, now it’s midtable. Everytime those same fans support the process and accept it.

Now we’re midtable and it’s accepted, excuses left right and centre, it’s the refs, it’s the lack of quality players, it’s the players not performing, it’s never the manager poor guy has got it tough, first management job in football with zero credentials handed to him on a plate by a big club with no ambition, earning big money for a nobody as well.

It’s really tough for him, he’s been handed and awful squad with players like Tierney, Auba, Laca, Saliba, Pepe, Saka, ESR and only got to spend on the likes of Partey, Soares, Ceballos, Gabriel, Odergaard, it’s really tough for him it really is.

There’s a real losers mentality amongst some Arsenal fans there really is, this club should never be midtable and anyone that takes us there should be sacked without hesitation, especially when he’s been outperformed by those before him who were deemed not good enough.

It's a slow rot and we have an owner that's very slow to react. I'm more worried about his standards. Fan pressure could eventually force Arteta out once we have fans back in the stadium but we'll be back at square one if KSE make another dud appointment.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:25 am

Yes it is, standards are falling all the time but I do think some fans seem to accept it Is what it is, using the squad and refs and excuses for it.

Right now this is nothing short of a disastrous season for us, how anyone else can pain it any other way I don’t know, Arteta has been a failure there’s no other way to describe it, so many on and off the field markers show this, I can’t understand why anyone would want to give him longer in the job.

It’s clear he’s not up to it and I don’t see a good manager in there at all, the only thing that suggests he may be any good is some unsubstantiated hype from some of his friends, in the real world there is no evidence.

Di Matteo won the CL and domestic cup and look at him now.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk