Gabriel Martinelli (11)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:16 am

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:In his last appearance he came on to play as striker replacing Aubameyang. Anyone think Arteta may shift him to a central striker role?

I think he can do what Wenger did with Alexis. Deploy him as a left forward or a CF as in Alexis' final full season here—depending on the opposition. He's versatile enough.

Lacazette will most likely be sold in the summer. Nketiah might be loaned out/sold too.

That will leave us with Auba as our only CF, so it makes sense to utilize Martinelli up top. His best games for us have come as a winger, so we don't really know what to expect from him as a striker. He looks like a 9.5 to me if he plays up top.

Wouldn't really mind a front three of Auba - Martinelli - Saka.

All assumptions though. We don't know if Mikel even wants to use him.

I still recall his preseason games as striker and he was dangerous. Really brave getting on to the end of headers, has that burst of pace to get on the end of moves and he was a hard to handle.

Agree on the Alexis comparison. Has that dogged determination about him and he seems versatile enough. We'll see what happens but I still trying to make sense of why he hasn't played yet.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:36 pm

He has a fierce cross on him, I would love to see him on the left more. That said, he probably has better heading ability than PEA so CF might be effective.

I just wish he would get a start so we could what condition he's in.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:14 pm

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ESR10 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:39 pm

Can't and won't understand it. We are 3-1 up, the kid is desperate for some playing minutes after missing such long periods of the season because of injury and Arteta decides to play Auba who needed the rest anyways.

Arteta persisted with Willian despite being dog shit for months and can't give a potentially world class kid 10 minutes to play when we are comfortably winning.

Really bad man management from Arteta.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Zenith » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:42 pm

ESR10 wrote:Can't and won't understand it. We are 3-1 up, the kid is desperate for some playing minutes after missing such long periods of the season because of injury and Arteta decides to play Auba who needed the rest anyways.

Arteta persisted with Willian despite being dog shit for months and can't give a potentially world class kid 10 minutes to play when we are comfortably winning.

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby theHotHead » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:56 pm

Zenith wrote:
ESR10 wrote:Can't and won't understand it. We are 3-1 up, the kid is desperate for some playing minutes after missing such long periods of the season because of injury and Arteta decides to play Auba who needed the rest anyways.

But apparently we all have agendas because we are critical of the bad decisions we are seeing.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:35 pm

As I've said, if he doesn't have a place here, we should sell him. Arteta has his favorites. Check this tweet:

This may or may not be factually true. That's not my thesis.

But he's never criticized an experienced veteran (Willian) in public. He never said that Willian needs to continue to, "show us what he can do and he will find a place in the starting line-up."

Willian is Arteta's first major signing at Arsenal, so of course, he'd want it to work out. That's not an issue.

It's similar to Josh Kroenke's stance on Arteta.

You simply can't cherry-pick on these notions. If Martinelli isn't someone Arteta rates, well, tough luck, I hope we sell him in the summer. If Martinelli does have a future here, I'd like to see more than mere lip-service.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:00 pm

Zenith wrote:

jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:01 pm

Angelito wrote:

Translation:

"He doesn't worship me and has his own mind, so I am going to sh*t on him and treat him just like I did with Guendouzi, Saliba and Ozil, whilst paying lip service to the media... oh, by the way, did I tell you how brilliant my signing Willian is".
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:04 pm

aniym wrote:He has a fierce cross on him, I would love to see him on the left more. That said, he probably has better heading ability than PEA so CF might be effective.

I just wish he would get a start so we could what condition he's in.

Having almost no game time for months he's not going to be in condition in terms of match fitness. His career here is done.
He'll need to rebuild it elsewhere and what is worse, we've taken a player we could have got 50m for even last year, to a player who will probably leave for 10-20m.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:08 pm

Let's not question the wisdom of a guy that's reportedly being considered to replace world class manager Ronald Koeman.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:07 pm

Angelito wrote:

Sounds similar to what was said when they were asking him about Maitland-Niles absence from the team.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:21 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Really bad man-management from Arteta.

But apparently, we all have agendas because we are critical of the bad decisions we are seeing.

Mmmm makes you think, doesn't it?
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Nuggets » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:22 pm

aniym wrote:Let's not question the wisdom of a guy that's reportedly being considered to replace world class manager Ronald Koeman.

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Nuggets

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:20 pm

Angelito wrote:

Here we go again, Arteta with his agendas, another top young player probably on his way out, he’s never rated Martinelli.

When are we going to get rid of this chump, can’t wait to see the back of him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk