Gabriel Martinelli (11)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby Angelito » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:11 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:Saving him for the europa league. If he doesn't start on thursday then i'm worried.

What I'm worried is about is Arteta's obvious favoritism. And, he seems blind to it.

Within Arsenal, it won't hurt him as much because we're reaching a point where it really doesn't matter whether we finish 14th or 4th. But I feel he will frustrate core fans big time for years to come with his man-management.

About Martinelli, I really hope his agent spins some wheels in the summer. I don't want him to suffer because of the bruised ego of a man who is still desperate to prove that his first major signing is a hit.
So you want us to lose one of the best young forwards in the game because you don't like Arteta? Ok mate :)

I'm not the one deciding to bring on Willian over Martinelli. I'm not the one reluctant to give him ample minutes.

Arteta's original plan was to continue with a 3-4-3, which is why he didn't bother registering Ozil or buying a CAM in the summer. He believed a midfield of Thomas and Xhaka would be it. The front three of Willian, Laca, and Auba would deliver.

It didn't work out.

I honestly don't care if Arteta stays here for 5 minutes or 5 years. It's not about liking him or disliking him. If pointing out his shortcomings means disliking him, in your books, so be it.

If Martinelli continues to be overlooked, we'd be in the same situation as with Guendouzi, Saliba, and Ozil. We'd have to loan him out, or accept a low-ball bid.

I don't want that to happen. I also don't want a prodigy to waste himself at Arsenal.

The EL game will be an eye-opener. I hope he starts. I think he will. But he's down the packing order at this stage, we can't deny that.

There is no point for Willian to get more minutes than Martinelli.

The Willian deal hasn't worked out. That doesn't mean we forge our way until it is successful.

We've been awful at letting players leave at the right time lately. We could have sold Niles in the summer, loaned Willock out in the summer, retained Kola as a back up until the summer when we're playing a make shift LB in Cedric...

You're hoping Martinelli makes it here. I'm afraid that he isn't getting the adequate support to make it here. In such a case, it would be better for both parties to part ways.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:30 pm

#ST wrote:I know us Gooners like to overrate our players alot.. But seriously, this guy is the real deal. He is an absolute WORLD class talent just like Saka is.

Cant wait to get rid of Arteta so we can hopefully appoint a manager that DOES appreciate real talent.

f***ing Willian playing instead of this guy is an absolute joke of a decision.

Arteta has made a number of decisions that are reasons individually to get rid of him and get a new manager, IMO.
Picking Willian over Martinelli is just the latest one of Mikel's brainfarts.

A proven top PL midfielder exiled and replaced, belatedly with a kid from RM who isn't near as good or ready to help us move up the league.
Saliba exiled and told he wasn't good enough - loaned out and alienated, whilst we continue with Luiz and Holding.
Now a young talent who IS ready and coveted by teams all around the world is being exiled and shown he has no future, with Willian - a useless OAP who can;t run anymore - preferred.

The fact Arteta is getting away with these decisions whilst leading us to midtable is baffling.

That's just 3 of the headline f**ups - we've also seen double standard after double standard when it comes to handling players (like Xhaka vs Guendouzi)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:01 pm

Martinelli had a long injury ley off and since has lost some sharpness. He needs to be nurtured carefully. As for Xhakha, he remains injury free and inspite of his obvious weakness, had been favoured by 4 managers now. He remains a regular ( Capt.?) for Switzerland also. A great mystery there!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:13 pm

ag6789 wrote:Martinelli had a long injury ley off and since has lost some sharpness. He needs to be nurtured carefully. As for Xhakha, he remains injury free and inspite of his obvious weakness, had been favoured by 4 managers now. He remains a regular ( Capt.?) for Switzerland also. A great mystery there!

False.

Wenger didn't sign him, nor was he part of Wenger's plans until Cazorla picked up that injury. To accommodate Xhaka, Wenger switched to a 3-4-3, something he'd never done in his career.

Iirc, Wenger wasn't even sure what his designated position was.

He's been favored by 2 managers since Wenger. Freddie was an interim coach, who didn't rock the boat all that much, and left Arsenal when the directors opted for Arteta over him.

He (Ljungberg) didn't even feature all that much after Arteta's arrival. He basically remained out of the stands in what was alleged to give him a different viewpoint.

It makes a lot of sense if you realize how Wenger was a master of his own mind, whilst Emery and Arteta are more for establishments.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:47 pm

Xhaka was signed by wenger
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:50 pm

Angelito wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Martinelli had a long injury ley off and since has lost some sharpness. He needs to be nurtured carefully. As for Xhakha, he remains injury free and inspite of his obvious weakness, had been favoured by 4 managers now. He remains a regular ( Capt.?) for Switzerland also. A great mystery there!

False.

Wenger didn't sign him, nor was he part of Wenger's plans until Cazorla picked up that injury. To accommodate Xhaka, Wenger switched to a 3-4-3, something he'd never done in his career.

Iirc, Wenger wasn't even sure what his designated position was.

He's been favored by 2 managers since Wenger. Freddie was an interim coach, who didn't rock the boat all that much, and left Arsenal when the directors opted for Arteta over him.

He (Ljungberg) didn't even feature all that much after Arteta's arrival. He basically remained out of the stands in what was alleged to give him a different viewpoint.

It makes a lot of sense if you realize how Wenger was a master of his own mind, whilst Emery and Arteta are more for establishments.

The club treated Freddie poorly. He still hasn't got a new job and left to pursue a manager role. Always thought it was odd that he was sent to the stands to watch games and thought he was being isolated and must have been embarrassing for him. It was a visible demotion and I can't imagine he took it well. Had a feeling he'd walk at the end of that season.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:20 pm

This 'nurturing carefully' nonsense really makes me laugh.
The kid has already proven he's ready - which means he should be playing.
If physically he's not up to it, then fine, dump him and move on to someone who is physically capable.

Hiding players on the bench, because you want to wrap them in cotton wool in case they get injured, is ridiculous.

It's a simple equation - right NOW, is he better than Willian? Obviously, because a 1 legged donkey is better than Willian.

There is no other reason to not be giving game time to Martinelli other than Arteta has made a decision he is not good enough or he knows he is but would rather play his pal Willian - forget all the PR and managed messaging.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:49 pm

I think Martinelli has featured of an on after his injury. He is yet to hit the high standards of last season. So he is not a regular yet. whereas Saka and ESR have been consistent this season so they get games regularly.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Is he not fit or does the manager not rate him?

PEA plays almost 90 mins 3x in a week, Martinelli plays 13 mins in that same timeframe.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby themessiah » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:30 pm

The lad has one bad cameo and Arteta will then freeze him out for weeks ffs.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:30 pm

Always said Arteta doesn’t rate him, hasn’t really given him a proper chance since he arrived.

This guy will lead to us losing some of our best talents of we don’t get rid of him soon.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 pm

Save yourself Martinelli. Don't go down with the ship
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:32 pm

Surely he starts on Thursday?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:32 pm

Tony Adams wrote:Saving him for the europa league. If he doesn't start on thursday then i'm worried.
Now I'm worried!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
Now I'm worried!

It doesn't make sense. I'm also worried about Saka playing the full 90 again.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk