Arsenal Vs Bolton | Premiership 10/01/09

Re: Arsenal Vs Bolton | Premiership 10/01/09

Postby madaboutplanes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:33 pm

I will blame the result on the weather...I feel if it were a couple of degrees warmer the score would be higher. Now this might sound outright stupid, but imo when you play in real cold temperatures, your body reactions are slow as your muscles are stiffer than usual.

During play the body temperature will rise, but the external temperature still plays a deep role in how stiff your muscles are! I am talking from experience in Canada - in my university we have a indoor dome (a huge tent covering the field) but not much heating during winter. When its -15 or colder outside, I feel the difference immediately...everyone playing is much slower but you gradually build up as the game wears.

This might explain our play during the early stages of both 1st and 2nd halves. Though I am glad to get the 3 points. Hope for a Pool loss and a draw between Chelsea and Man Utd :pray:
madaboutplanes
Michael Thomas

Postby the real gooner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:36 pm

A must win,WON! :arsenal3:
the real gooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GunnGunn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Nasri was moved to the centre for the second half in the last two games running, and when he has moved, we have looked almost back to our best.

Nasri should be moved to the centre full time in Cesc's absence, his pass for Ade (should have scored) today is just one reason why.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby arseman » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Anyone else think Vela is a bit ineffective on the left wing? I know he's played in that position in Spain and done well by all accounts, but whenever I see him, he keeps cutting inside, and that brings the ball onto his right foot, which he won't use......
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby arseman » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:40 pm

essexgunner wrote:
Bristol_Gunner wrote:it was but ade was slow, he could of taken it first time

agreed, just saw another replay and he took for ever

I think he was right to control it though, the ball seemed to come at him with some speed, a first time shot would probably have gone high and wide....

I think the Bolton defender should be given credit for that....
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GunnGunn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:41 pm

He had some nice touches but Left Wing ain't his game anymore.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby arseman » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:46 pm

RVP is on some good form though, really impressed with some of his touches today.. very unlucky not to score
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:59 pm

gunngunn wrote:Nasri was moved to the centre for the second half in the last two games running, and when he has moved, we have looked almost back to our best.

Nasri should be moved to the centre full time in Cesc's absence, his pass for Ade (should have scored) today is just one reason why.

Definately, centre seems to be his optimum position.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby rvtheace » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Dang, missed the match. But looks like we had a good attacking game, let's keep the results going!
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby rogerthornhill » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:25 pm

Disappointing match, great result, three points. :arse fan:
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Gooner Girl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Just got back from the match (popped a few pics in my picture thread) Boy, was it chilly! Sat right at the back of the Bolton supporters end with The Bish, my hubby and his daughter. When i have done this before the Bolton fans were very quiet throughout the game but they easily outsang the Arsenal fans today (although an Arsenal supporting mates assure me Red Action made a lot of noise...) Atmosphere wants the best... (maybe everyone was just more intent on keeping warm?)

Was a pretty boring game (hubby kept dozing off!) and it was the same old story as most weeks. Arsenal totally dominate, dance around the box with the ball not actually looking as if they will ever have a shot on goal and eventually its intercepted, booted out and we start again. I don't actually rate Bendtner that highly but he was just what we needed today, adding some directness into our play. The defence had sod all to do until Bolton perked up for moments in the second half and i really thought we were heading for a 0-0 draw. TBH, i felt a little sorry for Bolton (not just cos the bish looked SO patheticly sad when we scored) cos whilst they never showed much attacking threat they were unlucky to have Riga and Elmander go off and they defended quite well for most of the game. Lucky victory and not exactly promising for the future...
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Git » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:25 pm

Helen, your hubby could sleep through World War Three by the sounds of things.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Gooner Girl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Git wrote:Helen, your hubby could sleep through World War Three by the sounds of things.

Yeah he could! Thats no real indicator of how bad was. He falls asleep at work, at church, in the pub, standing up on the train, watching Brighton play, when he met his future inlaws for the first time... :rolleyes:
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Laura » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Nasri seems a natural replacement for Cesc in the middle, if he's played on the left he keeps cutting in and it becomes too predictable. When Vela came on he exploited the space we had up on the left wing and made Bolton nervy
Ade I thought was off his game, he seems to have forgotten about the striking part of being a striker - just wanted to lay off every pass that came his way.I thought the Bolton defence would have crumbled if someone would have just ran at them. Bendtner gets too much of a knocking I think, you got to admit he gets himself into decent positions and he was back defending too when we needed height back in the box
Djourou looked solid today when they called on him too - really think he's improved a lot this season

Glad we won in the end, made it worthwhile standing in that cold :)
Laura
Patrick Vieira

Postby golfinguy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:35 pm

Fell asleep after the match - too much drink last night ;)

What a relief when we finally scored. Great result.

But we're finding it increasingly difficult to breakdown teams that pack 10 behind the ball all day. Too many sideways passes on transition - thats when we need to attack.

Diaby holds onto the ball too long, but he also seems to be the only one that will consistently turn on a defender - everyone else seems too content to pass it back.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09