Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Nuggets » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:03 am

Dejan wrote:
Alexis wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Unai Emery - 57 points (all after 29 matches)
Mikel Arteta - 46 points (all after 29 games)
So how is this clown still here?

such a shit comparison.

emery took over from wengers trash who were still decent going forward. Arteta had to take over from ball to kolasinac and cut back predictable strategy + 3 billion shots on target for opposition.

Let's not forget emery hadn't fukin clue how to set teams up and had to keep changing it in the second half. You'd understand 2-3 times, but man was doing it for about 20 games in a row. at some point i started to think it was deliberate and of course lets not forget how both auba and laca were massively overperforming from the scraps of chances they got. It's all leveled out now, but emery was beyond lucky to get that many points.
Arteta has had the better team.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

But done very little with it. ;)
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Nuggets » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:05 am

Alexis wrote:

such a shit comparison.

emery took over from wengers trash who were still decent going forward. Arteta had to take over from ball to kolasinac and cut back predictable strategy + 3 billion shots on target for opposition.

Let's not forget emery hadn't fukin clue how to set teams up and had to keep changing it in the second half. You'd understand 2-3 times, but man was doing it for about 20 games in a row. at some point i started to think it was deliberate and of course lets not forget how both auba and laca were massively overperforming from the scraps of chances they got. It's all leveled out now, but emery was beyond lucky to get that many points.

....and Arteta is not :lol:
Nuggets

Postby theHotHead » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:01 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Proud of Arteta for trying the 4-4-1-1.

At least now after a 3-0 win he can consider his options now he's tried most formations.

Now he has to pick one and develop it.

He's tried 3-4-3 / 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1

Now make one work.

Mate we were poor in the first half and better in the second against a team who, lets face it, are 3 or 4 levels below the Prem. Anything should work against them

That's always going to be the case when your experimenting for the first time with your B-Team.

People have to be given a chance to get it right and they showed that with 3 2nd half goals, would it work in the Prem :dontknow: but Partey know's that system well from Atletico.

Also, I didn't say he should stick with 4-4-1-1 ............ I said now he's tried them all "he" needs to pick one and stick with it, so the team can get some consistencey and master it, I'm just glad he tried it.

My vote is 3-4-3 or 4-4-2.

I think it suits the players we have in the squad.

Its interesting I see you advocating 4-4-2, for the longest time the narrative on this site has been 4-4-2 is outdated and I have staunchly argued that there is nothing wrong with 4-4-2, no system is better than another system, its down to the personnel and how that formation is implemented.

Glad to see someone else acknowledges 4-4-2 as a perfectly viable option.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:08 am

starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

At least now after a 3-0 win he can consider his options now he's tried most formations.

Now make one work.

Mate we were poor in the first half and better in the second against a team who, lets face it, are 3 or 4 levels below the Prem. Anything should work against them

1 level
They are the equivalent of a bottom 3 championship side

You reckon Starmandb ?? Our reserve team "should" be able to give teams like Molde a can of ass whooping. I can guarantee, if the likes of Willock and Nelson don't make it at Arsenal, they will drop to a bottom 5 Prem club then drop down to the Championship. I think their actual level is Division 2 which is 3 levels below the Prem. Personal opinion of course.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:13 am

Özim wrote:
Alexis wrote:

such a shit comparison.

Arteta has been beyond lucky to get quite a few points too, we’ve scraped results in games we could just easily have lost, you can’t make a case against one and not look at the other in the same way.

Arteta actually has put very few decent performances out, most of the games have been very narrow wins.

In short Arteta has been absolutely awful almost all the time since he arrived, we’re no languishing where we are in the table for no reason.

Arteta inherited a worse mess than Emery did and Arteta has the better squad.

I feel far more confident of our defending under Arteta, not even close, can't say I was overly confident of our attacking under Emery so not much of an advantage over Artea. Overall, for me, my confidence is far higher with Arteta than it was with Emery because of that defensive capability, it keeps you in the match in tight games.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:56 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:
Alexis wrote:

such a shit comparison.

Arteta has been beyond lucky to get quite a few points too, we’ve scraped results in games we could just easily have lost, you can’t make a case against one and not look at the other in the same way.

Arteta actually has put very few decent performances out, most of the games have been very narrow wins.

In short Arteta has been absolutely awful almost all the time since he arrived, we’re no languishing where we are in the table for no reason.

Arteta inherited a worse mess than Emery did and Arteta has the better squad.

I feel far more confident of our defending under Arteta, not even close, can't say I was overly confident of our attacking under Emery so not much of an advantage over Artea. Overall, for me, my confidence is far higher with Arteta than it was with Emery because of that defensive capability, it keeps you in the match in tight games.

Maybe but not scoring goals means you won't win many.

Ignoring all this though, I don't see anything about Arteta that is going to launch us up the table and get us challenging, there's nothing unique, nothing special it's boring, monotonous play that's means every game is hard work. even if we improve a bit this guy is not going to take us where we want to be that's for sure so I'd rather we cut our losses and let someone else have a go.

The guy makes nonsensical decisions week in week out and that's not the sign of a good coach, also look where we are in the table, it's a disgrace to be honest, we were pretty low last season under him too, I've seen zero progression since last season, if anything we've gone backwards as we now can't score against anyone but sunday league teams.

I agree it went wrong with Emery but I never thought he got the players, in his fist season we scrimped and he had little to work with, in the 2nd season there was Pepe and Luiz which was ok but we never got a decent CB (well we did but loaned him back and still won't play him now). Arteta has a lot more to work with, Gabriel, Partey and of course Saliba if he hadn't cut him out completely.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:34 pm

Emery never got the players because he was an absolute bellend ! He seemed totally clueless during that unbeaten run, often lucking into points, his first half teams and performances were night and day from the second half performances. Then of course his personal battle with Ozil that he (Emery) lost !!

In the second season he completely dropped Ozil, he tried to turn our specialst DM into an offensive DM, he completely lost whatever players that he did have and got himself into an almighty mess, he had to be sacked !! Lets not forget Xhaka-Gate was under his watch and happened I think because of our poor performances leading up to that night, fans were just fed up.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:19 pm

Arsenal could lose three home league matches in a row without scoring for the first time since a run of four from November to December 1908.

Mikel Arteta's side have 13 points after nine matches. Their lowest points tally after 10 Premier League fixtures is 14, set in 1992-93 and 1994-95.

The Gunners last lost more than four of their opening 10 league fixtures in 1983-84.

They have failed to reach double figures for goals after nine matches of a league season for the first time in 34 years.

I knew we were shit under Arteta but not this shit. Win v wolves imperative
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:54 pm

I wonder when the last time we played the champions. The runners up to the champions and a side where we hadn’t won at for 14 years was in the last 10 years?
I will leave this for some other glumbucket to look up
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:54 pm

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Now make one work.

That's always going to be the case when your experimenting for the first time with your B-Team.

People have to be given a chance to get it right and they showed that with 3 2nd half goals, would it work in the Prem :dontknow: but Partey know's that system well from Atletico.

Also, I didn't say he should stick with 4-4-1-1 ............ I said now he's tried them all "he" needs to pick one and stick with it, so the team can get some consistencey and master it, I'm just glad he tried it.

My vote is 3-4-3 or 4-4-2.

I think it suits the players we have in the squad.

Its interesting I see you advocating 4-4-2, for the longest time the narrative on this site has been 4-4-2 is outdated and I have staunchly argued that there is nothing wrong with 4-4-2, no system is better than another system, its down to the personnel and how that formation is implemented.

Glad to see someone else acknowledges 4-4-2 as a perfectly viable option.

I said that even before Atleticos recent success with it, when Zedie and Callum declared 4-4-2 old hat and ineffective, I said all systems can work.

I do say though the 90's version of 4-4-2 may be a bit to open for today but Atletico has shown that with a tactical adjustment 4-4-2 can actually be defensive with discipline and good cb's, but it will always retain that hard counter element if you have the strikers / wingers.

Take Mourhinio for example, he won the treble in the tikka takka era with a defensive 4-2-3-1.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:19 am

TOTAL SHOTS TAKEN (20/21)

:hiding:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Swan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:47 am

What an embarrassment
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gooney » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:53 am

Angelito wrote:TOTAL SHOTS TAKEN (20/21)

:hiding:

loool this clown has burnley the most conservative pl team ever taking more shots than us. I really hate his fans as well, cause one win and they are back to bigging this cancer up again. He needs to be sacked asap
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:59 am

That shit means nothing though, position in the league is what counts.

Idgaf if we have two shots a game.......if they both go in.

People hanging on stats to fulfill an agenda is sad, come with wins and table position and I won't argue, and in that vein, we do need to be being better.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:00 am

DiamondGooner wrote:That shit means nothing though, position in the league is what counts.

Idgaf if we have two shots a game.......if they both go in.

People hanging on stats to fulfill an agenda is sad, come with wins and table position and I won't argue, and in that vein, we do need to be being better.

people have this weird idea the more you create, the more likely you are to score and fans like attacking football. All that matters is the league position and we are in a respected 14th position with -1 goal difference 1/4 of the season gone. He has done great job so far
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk