The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby gooney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:26 pm

Ozil is offcourse not the player he was....but the idea he cant create more than willock who we played as nr 10 yesterday is such a lie. We have 9 goals in 9 games and our expected goals per game is one of the worst in the league. We have gone over 7 hours in the league without a goal in open plays. Like some of you think being a good fan is backing the club no matter what. its like a cult trump supporters behaviour here. Ozil is good enough to be in that squad
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 pm

I said it when the decision was announced, while he's playing 3-4-3 I can back the decision but I even said, the moment he tries to play a formation based on having a CAM then he's going to shoot himself in the foot.

............. and here we are.

I mean, he's playing Willock, don't get me wrong he looks good against Farmers in the Europa but I said he's not ready for tougher Prem games.

Arteta said he'd take responsibility if things go wrong, well, we're here.

Arteta should of kept to the Atletico model, he even bought their best CM ffs, his indecision due to feeling the pressure is making him regress.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I said it when the decision was announced, while he's playing 3-4-3 I can back the decision but I even said, the moment he tries to play a formation based on having a CAM then he's going to shoot himself in the foot.

I mean, he's playing Willock, don't get me wrong he looks good against Farmers in the Europa but I said he's not ready for tougher Prem games.

Arteta should of kept to the Atletico model, he even bought their best CM ffs, his indecision due to feeling the pressure is making him regress.

Partey was never their best CM. Not even close.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:14 am

aniym wrote:
Santi wrote:Also this bs that he isn’t training, where did that come from Aniym?

He's not training with the senior team is what I meant. But looking into it, I can't find any evidence that he's doing any kind of regular training at all. I don't mean joining the team to train while on holiday, which Henry, Pires and others often did after leaving. I mean training with the regularity needed to gain match fitness. This is the last tweet I found regarding this.

Last weekend, Sokratis was in the starting XI w/ the U23s v Everton. He clearly expects to continue playing in a senior role, either in Jan or in the summer. Nothing from Ozil. He isn't in the U23 squad as far as I can tell. As such, I'd assume he's not training with them either.

Ozil's good friend Merts heads up the academy. Steve Bould is the coach and wouldn't have any reason to exclude Ozil. Even then, we only hear about Ozil on Twitter. That tells me the guy won't kick a ball for us again under any circumstances.

So you couldn't find this from 28th Oct?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... n-22921582

Never mind the numerous videos on Arsenal official instagram with him in training, one literally 3 days ago, before the Leeds game. Glad you've deduced a whole load of shit though.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:27 am

Santi wrote:btw I have no doubt some of the players are questioning his call to leave Ozil out of all squads. I think he's on thin ice with them and potentially on the verge of losing them like Unai did.

Ozil is popular inside and outside of the squad, top players wont like seeing it and our forwards especially will get fed up knowing he's there on his couch when they're feeding on scraps.

Where do you get this from? After he was binned by all his previous clubs, and quit his national side, it was noticeable how very few of his previous teammates came out in support ... the term 'damned with faint praise' seems appropriate.

No question Ozil is/was a great player but to claim he was 'popular inside and outside of the squad' seems a stretch ...

When he quit on Germany only the vocal minority howled, it's just the same at Arsenal ... we should never have given him that ridiculous contract, that was the mistake and we've been paying for it ever since.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:31 am

Binned by Real Madrid lol wtf

Check Ronaldo and Ramos reaction to him going.

They needed money to balance the books after getting Bale. 2 players would bring 40m plus at that time. They'd never sell Ronaldo then so Ozil was the one. Hardly binned.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:34 am

Why? Don't you bang on about Ozil fanboys and lover boys? So that's his popularity outside of the squad done, nevermind his more than double Auba's 10m insta followers.

As for in the squad, as I said, the likes of Laca, Auba, Mustafi, Nelson, Torreira, Cazorla (obv not here anymore) all like his posts even when it's against the club such as his post after being left out of the squad.

Can't be 100% sure obviously, but seems very much like the front players get along with him, back him and will no doubt miss him the more they're feeding off Willock's shit passes. Not sure why you expect them to come out and slag their employer? Doesn't mean they don't get along with him and would rather he was in the squad.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:33 am

#FootballingReasons
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:00 am

DiamondGooner wrote:I said it when the decision was announced, while he's playing 3-4-3 I can back the decision but I even said, the moment he tries to play a formation based on having a CAM then he's going to shoot himself in the foot.

Molde. 12million pound farmers?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 am

Angelito wrote:#FootballingReasons

#whatisbestfortheclub
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:28 pm

Santi wrote:
aniym wrote:

Never mind the numerous videos on Arsenal official instagram with him in training, one literally 3 days ago, before the Leeds game. Glad you've deduced a whole load of shit though.

My mistake then, I didn't check Instagram.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:36 pm

aniym wrote:
Santi wrote:
aniym wrote:

My mistake then, I didn't check Instagram.

Fair enough, just surprised you’d jumped to a lot of conclusions as well. Apologies for being a bit OTT :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:58 pm

aniym wrote:
Santi wrote:btw I have no doubt some of the players are questioning his call to leave Ozil out of all squads. I think he's on thin ice with them and potentially on the verge of losing them like Unai did.

Ozil is popular inside and outside of the squad, top players wont like seeing it and our forwards especially will get fed up knowing he's there on his couch when they're feeding on scraps.

There is no difference between him not being on the team sheet (March - August 2020) and him not being registered; he is out of sight and out of mind when it comes to the rest of the team. He had a pretty barren run under Arteta even when he did play.

I'm sure he is on good terms with all the players, but who's really pushing for him to be in the squad? He's not even in training anymore, and he hasn't played professionally since March; you can't reintroduce him and expect fireworks, when his lack of output dates back to 2018.

There's a reason his name is primarily associated with "chances created" these days, the most bullshit, subjective stat there is. If Pepe is leading that table, it's pretty meaningless.

Wait, you are saying creating chances is a bullshit stat ?!! Remind me how many goals we have scored this season, remind me how many chances we have created this season. Are you saying there is no link between the number of goals scored and the number of chances created ?

Think very carefully about your answer ....
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Santi wrote:
aniym wrote:
Santi wrote:Also this bs that he isn’t training, where did that come from Aniym?

He's not training with the senior team is what I meant. But looking into it, I can't find any evidence that he's doing any kind of regular training at all. I don't mean joining the team to train while on holiday, which Henry, Pires and others often did after leaving. I mean training with the regularity needed to gain match fitness. This is the last tweet I found regarding this.

Last weekend, Sokratis was in the starting XI w/ the U23s v Everton. He clearly expects to continue playing in a senior role, either in Jan or in the summer. Nothing from Ozil. He isn't in the U23 squad as far as I can tell. As such, I'd assume he's not training with them either.

Ozil's good friend Merts heads up the academy. Steve Bould is the coach and wouldn't have any reason to exclude Ozil. Even then, we only hear about Ozil on Twitter. That tells me the guy won't kick a ball for us again under any circumstances.

Facts will always trump stupidity and laziness.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:37 pm

theHotHead wrote:Wait, you are saying creating chances is a bullshit stat ?!! Remind me how many goals we have scored this season, remind me how many chances we have created this season. Are you saying there is no link between the number of goals scored and the number of chances created ?

Think very carefully about your answer ....

Off course the more chances you create the better chance you have of scoring but chances alone means nothing.

It doesn't win you anything .... look at last season then look at final EPL positions

Man City 108 big chances created versus Liverpool's 88 - but Liverpool walked away with the title

Spurs 48 big chances created 6th place, Brighton 48 big chances created 15th place

Crystal Palace least big chances created with 33 finished 14th, whilst Watford who created 45 still got relegated

Creating chances is one thing but scoring them is what counts -

This season Spurs shots per game 12.8 - goals 21
Arsenal shots per game 9.1 - goals 9

If you don't convert your chances you will end up mid-table or worse ... just ask Watford.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club