Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:06 am

Power n Glory wrote:Willian was Chelsea's best player just before he left now look at him. Our attackers are capable of way more than what they're showing. It's on the manager.

Exactly this. It's not the players, it never has been the players how can it be when teams with worse players are above us and/or play better football than us!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:09 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Willian was Chelsea's best player just before he left now look at him. Our attackers are capable of way more than what they're showing. It's on the manager.

What? Willian had the occasional good game for Chelsea.
Plus he is getting older.
It was utter madness to sign him.
Players like Willian are exactly the type of older and over-hyped, expensive footballers that a club in our situation should be steering well clear of.

It's true that Arteta is going to make us look worse, because he is a terrible manager, but Willian is not and never will be the answer to any of our problems, no matter who the manager is.

Nonsense Jay, Willian was one of their best players last season and if you look at his output, was his best season ever at Chelsea
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:17 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:I hate how we play the most boring football out of all big teams these days. Attractive, attacking football used to be our pride, our motto, the modern Arsenal way. Now, it's just sad what we've become.

I'd rather play boring football as you put it and win than what we're seeing now.

We're seeing Arteta "attempting" to play stylish passing football and we're losing because his players don't have a scooby and are getting upstaged by the likes of Leeds and Villa.

If we can't out play Leeds and Villa then what the hell chance do we have of out playing a top 4 side or even top 6?

Arteta is not attempting to play exciting football.
His style is intensely boring.

He tried today, he played 4-2-3-1, Willock had a free CAM role, what more "excitement" do you want? the players, played sh*t, no chances being created and they got out hustled on all the 50/50's and our final 3rd passing was horrendous.

........... this lot aren't capable of playing silky attractive football, because if they were they'd be doing it.

Who's going to do it? Xhaka? Willock? Willian who's been sh*t, Pepe who overruns every dribble? Saka who fks up all his final balls?

How are we going to get attractive football out of this lot? we can get winning football, but attractive football, no.

Our best performance was Man Utd, 3-4-3 high pressure, highly competitve.

Can't tell if that comment about Willock in a free CAM role and excitement was tongue-in-cheek or not.

Willock is about as exciting as John Major was as a politician, Willock in a free CAM role is about as exciting as being forced to watch Songs of Praise, Antiques Roadshow and an election broadcast including vote counting back to back to back, as a 10 year old.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby gooney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:36 am

Another game gone and more members coming over to my side. Guys this guy is fraud....get rid of spanish pulis
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Rockape » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:58 am

Let’s face it, Arteta was a gamble which looked like it had paid off when we won the FA Cup and have looked so much more coherent in defence this season.

Now he has serious work to do to get the team firing and deserves some time to achieve that. However, if there’s no improvement by the end of the year, then we need to look elsewhere.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ESR10 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:53 am

Rockape wrote:Let’s face it, Arteta was a gamble which looked like it had paid off when we won the FA Cup and have looked so much more coherent in defence this season.

Now he has serious work to do to get the team firing and deserves some time to achieve that. However, if there’s no improvement by the end of the year, then we need to look elsewhere.

Not too reactionary :clap:
Same here
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby gooney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:33 am

Rockape wrote:Let’s face it, Arteta was a gamble which looked like it had paid off when we won the FA Cup and have looked so much more coherent in defence this season.

I agree with this. I would give him until end of the year and it’s not even about result. If he can’t show improvement in our attacking play. He needs to go. We could have stolen the Leeds game if saka scored. But would that change anything? There are serious problems which shows unless something changes we will fail guaranteed.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:43 am

Pretty much how I feel.

Our league fixtures between now and the end of the year are:

Wolves home
Tottenham away
Burnley home
Southampton home
Everton away
Chelsea home
Brighton away

It's pretty grim that the only games there where I think we'll get something are Wolves where we will probably get a point, and Burnley & Brighton where I'd expect a win.

I don't know if 7 points from 7 games will be enough to save him. There's no doubt the owners want CL football, and at the moment, with this highly competitive PL, it doesn't look like Mikel is the one to deliver that.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby gooney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 am

Phil71 wrote:

Pretty much how I feel.

Wolves home
Tottenham away
Burnley home
Southampton home
Everton away
Chelsea home
Brighton away

It's pretty grim that the only games there where I think we'll get something are Wolves where we will probably get a point, and Burnley & Brighton where I'd expect a win.

I don't know if 7 points from 7 games will be enough to save him. There's no doubt the owners want CL football, and at the moment, with this highly competitive PL, it doesn't look like Mikel is the one to deliver that.

He will argue he still has europa league to secure cl. I know it’s huge gamble. But this means until February we will be on this competition
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:49 am

Phil71 wrote:

Pretty much how I feel.

Wolves home
Tottenham away
Burnley home
Southampton home
Everton away
Chelsea home
Brighton away

He has to pull the team together. This could get really ugly. We're 11th but City and Wolves still have a game in hand.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby KG3 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:10 pm

Ljungburg may have been out of his depth but one this about him is he wasn’t afraid of giving the youth players a shot, most of them were subs in certain games but his final team selection was this against Everton in our 0-0, I guess after getting hammered by city 3-0 the game before he thought f**k it why not.

———————Leno—————

Niles—Chambers—Luiz—Saka

————Torreria—Xhaka———

Nelson————ESR————Martinelli

—————Aubameyang———————

Bench: Martinez, Mustafi, Mavropanos, Guendouzi, Willock, Pepe, Lacazette

You wouldn’t see Arteta fielding such a team with so many youth players even in the Europa League, he doesn't trust our backup goalkeeper to play against a bunch of part time farmers.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:26 pm

KG3 wrote:Ljungburg may have been out of his depth but one this about him is he wasn’t afraid of giving the youth players a shot, most of them were subs in certain games but his final team selection was this against Everton in our 0-0, I guess after getting hammered by city 3-0 the game before he thought f**k it why not.

———————Leno—————

Niles—Chambers—Luiz—Saka

————Torreria—Xhaka———

Nelson————ESR————Martinelli

—————Aubameyang———————

Bench: Martinez, Mustafi, Mavropanos, Guendouzi, Willock, Pepe, Lacazette

You wouldn’t see Arteta fielding such a team with so many youth players even in the Europa League, he doesn't trust our backup goalkeeper to play against a bunch of part time farmers.

I thought that was a desperate move from Freddie. Once you play that card it has to work otherwise it's humble pie when you have to call on your seniors again and hope they're willing to play for you.

A young team in the Europa League is fine but Arteta will have to be careful not to lose the dressing room. Only a handful of players are performing well. Even Nelson and Willock looked poor despite string performances in the EL.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:30 pm

Easier for Ljungberg to field the kids, he was their manager up until recently.

Someone said that Arteta has got the respect of the players, I don't see how, players underperforming badly, players with off the field incidents left right and centre, players being banished from the first team and the most red cards of any team in the Premier League.

Seems more to me like anarchy at Arsenal than players respecting the manager.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Nuggets » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:53 pm

theHotHead wrote:Easier for Ljungberg to field the kids, he was their manager up until recently.

Someone said that Arteta has got the respect of the players, I don't see how, players underperforming badly, players with off the field incidents left right and centre, players being banished from the first team and the most red cards of any team in the Premier League.

Seems more to me like anarchy at Arsenal than players respecting the manager.

You got that right, where is the respect? :naughty:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Phil71 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:58 pm

I think this Ozil business has made Arteta's job much harder.

It's a very difficult situation for a young manager to have to deal with when trying to get things together.

The club have handled the whole affair very shabbily and with no thought for the footballing side.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk