Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:41 am

We play our best football on the counter. Only watched the highlights but it's not that different from how Spurs beat City. If anyone finds Arteta's style boring you wouldn't enjoy watching us coached by Mourinho either.

Personally, I hope Arteta isn't trying to replicate Pep's style of football. It doesn't work and costs billions in players to get it working. Us trying to dominate possession more and player higher up the pitch has cost us some points. That Villa lose looks a lot worse. Hoping to see something new today but it sounds like we'll see more of the same judging from Arteta's press run.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby LMAO » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:56 am

Power n Glory wrote:We play our best football on the counter. Only watched the highlights but it's not that different from how Spurs beat City. If anyone finds Arteta's style boring you wouldn't enjoy watching us coached by Mourinho either.

Personally, I hope Arteta isn't trying to replicate Pep's style of football. It doesn't work and costs billions in players to get it working. Us trying to dominate possession more and player higher up the pitch has cost us some points. That Villa lose looks a lot worse. Hoping to see something new today but it sounds like we'll see more of the same judging from Arteta's press run.

As long as he drops Laca and Willian... :disgust:

A front three of Pepe-Auba-Saka is all I ask for until Martinelli can play games.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:28 am

LMAO wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:We play our best football on the counter. Only watched the highlights but it's not that different from how Spurs beat City. If anyone finds Arteta's style boring you wouldn't enjoy watching us coached by Mourinho either.

As long as he drops Laca and Willian... :disgust:

A front three of Pepe-Auba-Saka is all I ask for until Martinelli can play games.

I think he'll play Auba down the left and Lacazette up front again. Pepe will probably start instead of Willian though.

It's the midfield combo I'm looking at. It will be Xhaka and Ceballos as the midfield two again. 3-4-3. Depends if Leeds press high or allow us to have the ball. I think we're in trouble if they don't press. Ceballos needs to have a good game regardless.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:39 am

It's chalk and cheese - Spurs played a very congested narrow defence giving away the wide areas (City managed 23 crosses, had 10 corners to Spurs 0)) Spurs were only defending the zone in line with the penalty area, it's football designed for counter attacking as opposing players are drawn out wide creating holes for one of the front three to drop in (and they have Kane) that's a tactical plan not a lucky accident.

We played City with two wide FB's and tried to defend the wings almost the exact opposite approach, this meant that with FB's out wide our midfield had to drop deep to hold their midfield runners, and as happens most weeks we isolated the front three who can't or won't drop deep.

When we played City we created ZERO attempts from playing on the counter attack, our transition was just to slow - 8 of our 11 attempts came from set pieces, we didn't manage a single shot on target in the second half ... Spurs created all their attempts (and both goals) from fast counter attacks where City players were caught out of position.

Spurs made 24 tackles in midfield we made just 11 .... Spurs aggressive press disposed Man City 18 times, we managed to do that just 5 times.

You may think Arteta sets up like Mourinho but it's just not true ... he sets up far more like Pep with his attacking fullbacks supposed to drag opposing players wide and create space for the front three to exploit ... the problem is everyone knows this is Plan A and defend accordingly, feck we even made Villa look good.

Mourinho just let Walker and Cancelo run out of position, in fact he switched Son away from Walker (who has the pace to recover) and played him against Cancelo, that worked after just 5 minutes ...

Compared to Mourinho Arteta is very naive, hardly surprising it's his first job - today he will be compared to Bielsa another man with 65 years behind him ...

Bielsa will have his players in the face of our midfield and defence, if he can isolate our front three from the rest we will be feeding off scraps yet again, we will need a quick goal to break up their game plan, if not Arteta will need to find a bloody good Plan B

Mourinho did it with Pep which despite similar possession to us he won 2-0 and Arteta lost 1-0 ... so no it's not the same at all.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:06 am

EliteKiller wrote:

It's chalk and cheese - Spurs played a very congested narrow defence giving away the wide areas (City managed 23 crosses, had 10 corners to Spurs 0)) Spurs were only defending the zone in line with the penalty area, it's football designed for counter attacking as opposing players are drawn out wide creating holes for one of the front three to drop in (and they have Kane) that's a tactical plan not a lucky accident.

We played City with two wide FB's and tried to defend the wings almost the exact opposite approach, this meant that with FB's out wide our midfield had to drop deep to hold their midfield runners, and as happens most weeks we isolated the front three who can't or won't drop deep.

When we played City we created ZERO attempts from playing on the counter attack, our transition was just to slow - 8 of our 11 attempts came from set pieces, we didn't manage a single shot on target in the second half ... Spurs created all their attempts (and both goals) from fast counter attacks where City players were caught out of position.

Spurs made 24 tackles in midfield we made just 11 .... Spurs aggressive press disposed Man City 18 times, we managed to do that just 5 times.

You may think Arteta sets up like Mourinho but it's just not true ... he sets up far more like Pep with his attacking fullbacks supposed to drag opposing players wide and create space for the front three to exploit ... the problem is everyone knows this is Plan A and defend accordingly, feck we even made Villa look good.

Mourinho just let Walker and Cancelo run out of position, in fact he switched Son away from Walker (who has the pace to recover) and played him against Cancelo, that worked after just 5 minutes ...

Compared to Mourinho Arteta is very naive, hardly surprising it's his first job - today he will be compared to Bielsa another man with 65 years behind him ...

Bielsa will have his players in the face of our midfield and defence, if he can isolate our front three from the rest we will be feeding off scraps yet again, we will need a quick goal to break up their game plan, if not Arteta will need to find a bloody good Plan B

Mourinho did it with Pep which despite similar possession to us he won 2-0 and Arteta lost 1-0 ... so no it's not the same at all.

You may be the exception but you're splitting hairs between defence set ups. If you look through most of those that have been critical of our style, they say it's just too defensive, we're not creating much and it's boring.

Without question, Arteta isn't Mourinho and he may try to be a bit more offensive than him but for those that can't stomach his style and just simply say it's not attractive, boring, but enough chances/shots...again, I don't think they'd an enjoy an Mourinho team who is more defensive.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:16 am

Power n Glory wrote:You may be the exception but you're splitting hairs between defence set ups. If you look through most of those that have been critical of our style, they say it's just too defensive, we're not creating much and it's boring.

Without question, Arteta isn't Mourinho and he may try to be a bit more offensive than him but for those that can't stomach his style and just simply say it's not attractive, boring, but enough chances/shots...again, I don't think they'd an enjoy an Mourinho team who is more defensive.

I get what you're saying but I reckon as long as you're winning most fans will be OK with that ... I watched the Spurs game and it was pretty boring stuff, technically very good but as a crowd pleaser forget it ... that said I bet most Spurs fans are like pigs in shit this morning.

Leicester when they won the title played nine men behind the ball, fouled any player who got within thirty yards of goal, and just booted it long for Vardy and Co. Dire football but do any Leicester fans now care about that?

The only thing that matters for Arteta is top four points or trophies - The FA Cup rightly made last season a success - if he can repeat that trophy winning trick all well and good, but if he can't missing out on the CL for the 5th season in a row, that simply won't cut it especially if the lot up the road get in.

I remember boring, boring Arsenal ... they were good times.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:You may be the exception but you're splitting hairs between defence set ups. If you look through most of those that have been critical of our style, they say it's just too defensive, we're not creating much and it's boring.

I get what you're saying but I reckon as long as you're winning most fans will be OK with that ... I watched the Spurs game and it was pretty boring stuff, technically very good but as a crowd pleaser forget it ... that said I bet most Spurs fans are like pigs in shit this morning.

Leicester when they won the title played nine men behind the ball, fouled any player who got within thirty yards of goal, and just booted it long for Vardy and Co. Dire football but do any Leicester fans now care about that?

The only thing that matters for Arteta is top four points or trophies - The FA Cup rightly made last season a success - if he can repeat that trophy winning trick all well and good, but if he can't missing out on the CL for the 5th season in a row, that simply won't cut it especially if the lot up the road get in.

I remember boring, boring Arsenal ... they were good times.

Yes, I think the majority would be happy if we were winning games. There are exceptions because even whilst winning there were some that were unhappy with the style of play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:10 pm

Spurs knocked 6 past Man U I doubt very much they are like Artetas Arsenal which struggles to score one goal never mind more than 1, we also beat Man U but couldn’t score a goal from open play and only won due to a penalty in the end.

Mourinhos teams are very disciplined but they are disciplined with a purpose, players works very hard, know they’re roles and he sets up his teams based on what he’s facing, he’s doesn’t just use one blanket tactic to fit all teams.

Personally have watched many Mourinho teams and I admire what he does with them, they aren’t as defensive as some say, they’re just very structured.

It wasn’t even a choice for me, would have been Mourinho everytime over a guy who has never actually managed anyone.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:17 pm

11/12 real season

Best title winning side ever.

Who was the manager?

But but defensive
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:24 pm

His chelsea team with fabregas, hazard and costa play some great football
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby KG3 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Ach wrote:11/12 real season

Best title winning side ever.

Who was the manager?

But but defensive

Marsbar100 wrote:His chelsea team with fabregas, hazard and costa play some great football

That Inter Milan side 09/10 treble winner were also amazing

Don’t worry though we have Peps assistant who knows all of his tactics and secrets so pretty soon we’ll be playing like prime treble winning Barcelona from 08-09 :lol:
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Won 2 trophies with a Moyes man utd side.

But Arteta is the better choice cos he makes pep a nice cup of tea
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Arteta needs to unfuck himself. He started of well but early success seems to have gone to his head. Alienating Ozil, the stupid loan deals, playing this defensive garbage has made him look poor. It’s not too late to turn it around.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:23 pm

swipe right wrote:Arteta needs to unfuck himself. He started of well but early success seems to have gone to his head. Alienating Ozil, the stupid loan deals, playing this defensive garbage has made him look poor. It’s not too late to turn it around.

Re-instate Ozil and add him in pen to the team sheet.
Sell Auba and Laca in January and bring in a new striker.
Bring in a new creative midfielder who will replace Ozil next year.
Bring in a CB to play with Gabriel
Bring in a new goal keeper.
abandon his crappy style of football

That would be a start to a long road ahead.

But the best way to unfuck himself would be to resign and go and get a coaching job at a lower-level club (much lower level)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Jedi » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 pm

swipe right wrote:Arteta needs to unfuck himself. He started of well but early success seems to have gone to his head. Alienating Ozil, the stupid loan deals, playing this defensive garbage has made him look poor. It’s not too late to turn it around.

I don't think there's much that can be done until January. There's just no proper creators in this team.

They let Ramsey go on a free, they kicked out Ozil, they let Mkhitaryan go for free (who now has 5 goals and 4 assists in 8 for Roma). Even selling Iwobi was a mistake because he had very promising xA stats in Emery's first season.

What did they expect was going to happen?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk