Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby ESR10 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 am

I do think that Martinelli returning and maybe signing Szoboszlai in January (thia seems to be a real possibility) Arteta could have a much better team attacking wise.

I Iike that you could see his vision on the pitch. The players know what they need to do (unlike in Emerys times).

His team selection (sticking with Willian, not playing Martinelli when he was fit) and his man management (Saliba and Özil) are not on the level required. It reminds me of Wengers stubbornness. I hope he can work and improve on it.

Beginning from January the team which I want to see:

Martinelli - Auba - Pepe
Szoboszlai*- Partey - Saka
Tierney - Gabriel - Chambers/Luiz - Bellerin
Leno

*If not signed then Smith-Rowe

I think this team is capable of scoring goals compared to the ones we are playing now.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby starmandb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:51 am

swipe right wrote:Would you accept finishing the season in 11th place?

Would you have sacked Herbert chapman and Bertie mee for finishing lower
Before winning a league and a double the following year?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 am

starmandb wrote:

There’s always anomalies, this guy has zero experience and isn’t going to be anything special, he’s all hype like most things in football these days.

His man management is terrible, favouritism il-advised, style boring and tactics one dimensional, he won’t even give certain players a chance.

We finished low in the table last season with him, we’re 11th now, that’s terrible given the resources he has at his disposal.

He was a bang average player for us and now he’s a bang average manager as well!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:41 am

Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:

There’s always anomalies, this guy has zero experience and isn’t going to be anything special, he’s all hype like most things in football these days.

His man management is terrible, favouritism il-advised, style boring and tactics one dimensional, he won’t even give certain players a chance.

We finished low in the table last season with him, we’re 11th now, that’s terrible given the resources he has at his disposal.

He was a bang average player for us and now he’s a bang average manager as well!

Tell us how you really feel? :biggrin:

The next few games are crucial. We need to bounce back It doesn't sound like Arteta will change much in terms of tactics so if we won't see a massive change in tactics we need to see a massive improvement in performance and effectiveness.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:07 am

starmandb wrote:

Bertie Mee got a name made for AFTV.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:18 am

Power n Glory wrote:The next few games are crucial. We need to bounce back It doesn't sound like Arteta will change much in terms of tactics so if we won't see a massive change in tactics we need to see a massive improvement in performance and effectiveness.

The end of the season will be the measuring stick - Arteta was appointed just a month after Mourinho - we spent net 64m last summer compared to Mourinho 97m (but 32m of that was for LoCelso the previous summer) .... so broadly the same investment

If Mourinho ends up a long way in front, and heaven forbid winning a trophy, can Arteta survive if we don't? Maybe he will get another season who knows what Stan will put up with ... but I'm pretty sure our fickle fans will be baying for blood, they've got form.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:30 am

swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

I’m sorry
I don’t know what that means
Bertie mee had been the club physio
Had no managerial experience
Finished 4th 7th 9th 12th in his first 4 seasons
But the fairs cup win was our first trophy in 17 years.
Mee was my first arsenal manager
70/71 still remains the best home season I have ever seen.
If we went 1-0 up you could put your house on us winning
starmandb

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:The next few games are crucial. We need to bounce back It doesn't sound like Arteta will change much in terms of tactics so if we won't see a massive change in tactics we need to see a massive improvement in performance and effectiveness.

The end of the season will be the measuring stick - Arteta was appointed just a month after Mourinho - we spent net 64m last summer compared to Mourinho 97m (but 32m of that was for LoCelso the previous summer) .... so broadly the same investment

If Mourinho ends up a long way in front, and heaven forbid winning a trophy, can Arteta survive if we don't? Maybe he will get another season who knows what Stan will put up with ... but I'm pretty sure our fickle fans will be baying for blood, they've got form.

I would say to monitor Everton and how they're doing. Ancelotti and Arteta were appointed and took charge of their teams the same day. Everton were far behind us and if they end up above us I think it's then fair say Arteta is way behind.

With Spurs, Mourinho took over a team that's better than ours. I think they'll finish in a top 4 position. It would be great if we can keep up with then but I doubt it.

Ugh...just reading that back to myself....it's a clear downgrade we've made. The standards have dropped. I'm rooting for Artea but this was a mistake. Progress will be slow.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:52 am

starmandb wrote:
swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

I’m sorry
I don’t know what that means
Bertie mee had been the club physio
Had no managerial experience
Finished 4th 7th 9th 12th in his first 4 seasons
But the fairs cup win was our first trophy in 17 years.
Mee was my first arsenal manager
70/71 still remains the best home season I have ever seen.
If we went 1-0 up you could put your house on us winning

Nice memory. Glad you’ve had five decades enjoying the Arsenal. Respect.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:26 am

Tottenham were 14th when Jose took over. Hadn't won an away league game since January 2019 and there was player unrest in the squad. One of the reasons why no one wanted Pochettino to go. He had lost the players.

They got rid, Jose comes in and look at them now.

Our decision to not get Jose continues to haunt us
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:

The next few games are crucial. We need to bounce back It doesn't sound like Arteta will change much in terms of tactics so if we won't see a massive change in tactics we need to see a massive improvement in performance and effectiveness.

Lol

To be honest it’s well documented I didn’t rate or want the guy here and thought it was a mistake appointing him.

I always said he has no period of grace, he needs to produce something tangible early on. To be honest though he hasn’t for me, the football is terrible and yes our defence is better but it’s totally been at the expense of the attack, there’s no balance, anyone can do that if they basically set out their team to defend and not attack.

We have a very good forward line that looks totally impotent under him, that is some achievement, but what really irritating me about him is his favouritism, it just reminds me of his mentor Wenger, there’s no logic is some of his decisions, he doesn’t like someone so cuts them out or doesn’t play them much, even if it’s not for the best of the team.

The treatment of Saliba is disgraceful to be honest, he wants to play but we stupidly didn’t register him and couldn’t even organiser a loan (how incompetent do we have to be seriously?), then he bring that calamity Mustafi back and even offers him a new contract (really?) we wasted money on Willian who does nothing and is another Arteta favourite and he keeps our record signing who should get a run and does score goals out of the team, he got rid of Guendouzi because of one incident and yet kept Xhaka (another favourite) totally disregarding his behaviour and performance (a disgrace IMO).

He’s decided he doesn’t want Ozil, fair enough but then at least make sure you have another creative player for the team if you do that. He wanted rid of AMN then he performed well and we turned down and offer to keep him and the guy can’t get a game over and even Soares who is rubbish gets a game before he does.

That’s not all either, we struggle for goals all season and he continues to play our most potent threat on the wing and brings in Nketiah who just isn’t up to it to play in the middle, he doesn’t play Laca but asks him to spend all his time chasing players in midfield rather than trying to get goals, you couldn’t make it up!

Does this sound like a guy who know what he’s doing to you, because it doesn’t to me!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:30 pm

I supported Arteta's appointment and I still do. HOWEVER, I am not willing to accept foolishness so will call it out as soon as I see it. Last season was Arteta's period of grace, I expect to see progression, we don't have shit players, I don't accept that argument, I didn't accept it when Emery joined and the squad is even better now.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:51 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Lol

To be honest it’s well documented I didn’t rate or want the guy here and thought it was a mistake appointing him.

I always said he has no period of grace, he needs to produce something tangible early on. To be honest though he hasn’t for me, the football is terrible and yes our defence is better but it’s totally been at the expense of the attack, there’s no balance, anyone can do that if they basically set out their team to defend and not attack.

We have a very good forward line that looks totally impotent under him, that is some achievement, but what really irritating me about him is his favouritism, it just reminds me of his mentor Wenger, there’s no logic is some of his decisions, he doesn’t like someone so cuts them out or doesn’t play them much, even if it’s not for the best of the team.

The treatment of Saliba is disgraceful to be honest, he wants to play but we stupidly didn’t register him and couldn’t even organiser a loan (how incompetent do we have to be seriously?), then he bring that calamity Mustafi back and even offers him a new contract (really?) we wasted money on Willian who does nothing and is another Arteta favourite and he keeps our record signing who should get a run and does score goals out of the team, he got rid of Guendouzi because of one incident and yet kept Xhaka (another favourite) totally disregarding his behaviour and performance (a disgrace IMO).

He’s decided he doesn’t want Ozil, fair enough but then at least make sure you have another creative player for the team if you do that. He wanted rid of AMN then he performed well and we turned down and offer to keep him and the guy can’t get a game over and even Soares who is rubbish gets a game before he does.

That’s not all either, we struggle for goals all season and he continues to play our most potent threat on the wing and brings in Nketiah who just isn’t up to it to play in the middle, he doesn’t play Laca but asks him to spend all his time chasing players in midfield rather than trying to get goals, you couldn’t make it up!

Does this sound like a guy who know what he’s doing to you, because it doesn’t to me!

Some valid points and no argument from me because I have the same concerns when looking at some of these decisions. I think he's proven he can command respect and organise a team. I guess that's the bare minimum that I didn't think he'd be capable of when he joined.

He has to now show he can fix the issues we're seeing and not fall out of the title race within the first few months of the season. I think I may have set the bar low just because we have a new manager that hasn't coached before. Also, if we didn't win the FA Cup I wouldn't be so optimistic.

As said, next few games are crucial. It's a major test for him.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:43 pm

Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:00 am

Ach wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55023525

Lol what's he going to do?

If it’s one of his favourites tell them they shouldn’t have done it but that it’s ok because they’ve got their own things going on so not to worry and the play them the following game and every game thereafter!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk