The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Angelito » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Such a horrible thing that it has to end this way for him. :(
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Rockape wrote:You do know that charitable donations are tax deductable....so its us that are actually paying for those meals.

Just sayin!

Meanwhile Rashford , aged only 21 has raised his head above the parapet to fight the government for something he believes in.

And when Ozil tries to fight against a government he gets shut down and told to be quiet :dontknow:

Either way one gets credit, the other gets scrutinised. I originally thought it was the causes they were supporting that drove the difference but now Mesut is practically on board with the same cause as Gashford.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:51 pm

Angelito wrote:

Such a horrible thing that it has to end this way for him. :(

Yea, cry me a river. :crybaby: He played his part in his downfall.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Rockape » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:53 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Rockape wrote:You do know that charitable donations are tax deductable....so its us that are actually paying for those meals.

Just sayin!

Meanwhile Rashford , aged only 21 has raised his head above the parapet to fight the government for something he believes in.

Tax-deductible just means you can write off the amount against your taxable income... It doesn't mean the whole amount would have otherwise been paid in tax.

Really? I suggest you read up on it a bit more!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:32 pm

Rockape wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Just sayin!

Tax-deductible just means you can write off the amount against your taxable income... It doesn't mean the whole amount would have otherwise been paid in tax.

Really? I suggest you read up on it a bit more!

I don't need to.
If you think someone giving to charity doesn't have to spend a penny of their own money, why don't you try donating a £1m today to your favourite charity and see how it works out for you. Hell, why not make it £1bn... after all, you would not have to pay anything, the tax payer would pick it all up... right?
JHC.
:rolleyes:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:42 pm

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:58 pm

This stalemate looks set to continue until the contract expires.

Arteta is not Mourinho, he won't publicly criticize Ozil's commitment or skills to justify his decision. As he says, people have already made up their minds whether they believe his reasons or not.

Similarly, Ozil will not offer any kind of public self-reflection about his performances since 2018. His position is "I'm doing my best in training, I don't know why I'm not being picked'. Now that the die is cast and he's out of the squad, why should he change his tune?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gamechannel » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:44 am

Angelito wrote:

As many opportunities as he could? Lol. Ridiculous statement in itself.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:52 am

Arteta speaks as if Ozil is a youth team player. Who he gave a chance but hey he just wasn’t good enough. Mate, Ozil has had ten times the career you had. So why not tell us what the problem is? Is it his attitude? His fitness? His commitment? His work rate? His chemistry with the strikers? His unwillingness to track back? What the hell is it? He talks so much about Ozil but yet says nothing.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:07 am

Arteta is coming out of this looking really really bad at the moment, Ozil, Saliba, the lineups, the tactics, the results, all pretty bad for him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:30 am

Arteta won't air out the reason. He's not Mourinho, as aniym says. Thinking back to what Arteta is saying and what Merts said about Ozil's life outside of football changing, maybe it's an issue with Ozil's focus and not a physical thing. He might be fine in training and fit but from what I understand, Arteta sends the players homework and videos to study on tactics and opponents. Maybe that's the issue Arteta is referring to and trying over and over again but he's not doing it.

Also, I totally forgot about Ozil's friendship with the Turkish president, Erdogan. Have to admit, I haven't done my research on the guy or Turkey's human rights violations but looking into it now. I can see why the club would distance themselves from Ozil's political PR stunts. If you think Ozil has been left out for non footballing reasons and can't accept Arteta's explanation and think it's something more cynical, follow the breadcrumbs and look up what's going on with Turkey and Erdogan. It's a bit rich for Ozil to talk about the clubs silence on the muslims being persecuted in China when he has close ties with the man who is actually sending them to China for extradition. Messy stuff.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/erd ... -the-west/

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/09/16/er ... ent-state/
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:00 am

Power n Glory wrote:Arteta won't air out the reason. He's not Mourinho, as aniym says. Thinking back to what Arteta is saying and what Merts said about Ozil's life outside of football changing, maybe it's an issue with Ozil's focus and not a physical thing. He might be fine in training and fit but from what I understand, Arteta sends the players homework and videos to study on tactics and opponents. Maybe that's the issue Arteta is referring to and trying over and over again but he's not doing it.

Also, I totally forgot about Ozil's friendship with the Turkish president, Erdogan. Have to admit, I haven't done my research on the guy or Turkey's human rights violations but looking into it now. I can see why the club would distance themselves from Ozil's political PR stunts. If you think Ozil has been left out for non footballing reasons and can't accept Arteta's explanation and think it's something more cynical, follow the breadcrumbs and look up what's going on with Turkey and Erdogan. It's a bit rich for Ozil to talk about the clubs silence on the muslims being persecuted in China when he has close ties with the man who is actually sending them to China for extradition. Messy stuff.

He certainly had no problem airing out the reasons Saliba wasn’t starting. Can’t defend set pieces and can’t stay on his feet.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:08 am

swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Arteta won't air out the reason. He's not Mourinho, as aniym says. Thinking back to what Arteta is saying and what Merts said about Ozil's life outside of football changing, maybe it's an issue with Ozil's focus and not a physical thing. He might be fine in training and fit but from what I understand, Arteta sends the players homework and videos to study on tactics and opponents. Maybe that's the issue Arteta is referring to and trying over and over again but he's not doing it.

He certainly had no problem airing out the reasons Saliba wasn’t starting. Can’t defend set pieces and can’t stay on his feet.

I bet you can't find a direct quote or interview where Artea said those words you've just used.

But again, if you don't believe it's for footballing reasons do some research on Erdogan and then let's talk.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:38 am

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta says he gave former Germany playmaker Mesut Ozil "as many opportunities" as he could before leaving the 32-year-old out of his Premier League and Europa League squads. (Sky Sports)

By not picking him since march? The absolute crap this guy comes out with.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:18 am

The way Arteta's eyes lit up post match when we went back to playing 3-4-3 and he remembered what it gives him in the way we play .......... Ozil was never going to fit that model anyway.

Thats the irony of Arteta, he has an idea of wanting a Pep model yet Arteta the man has a much more cautious and drilled approach to the game and that's the conflict going on in his head, which he needs to sort out once and for all, the Pep model has a space for Ozil, clearly, the Arteta deep down preference doesn't.

That's one if not the reason why he doesn't want a player like Ozil, I think there is some club stuff mixed up in it as well plus now that Arteta is manager and not coach one of the things he has to do now like Wenger did is take club decisions on the chin and front for them.

Fact is it doesn't really matter "why" whether its club or manager, fact is they've both decided to cut him, and he's not coming back so its a pointless investigation, the mans not even eligible for games now, its done.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club