The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Angelito » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:59 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Angelito wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:Ozil is no longer in the Arsenal squad ... until he is (and that's never happening) this thread is pointless.

Ozil is an Arsenal player. People can discuss any thing they want about him. Why is it burning a few people like you that people want to talk about him?

For those who think he's done and not needed here, fair play. And, it'd be wise not to indulge in a discussion revolving around Ozil.

If people think they would want to appreciate him, talk about him, they have the liberty to do so.

Simple as that.

You should read before spouting shite ... 'this thread is now pointless'

I've posted far to much on this thread before October 16th the point, which even the dumbest must be able to understand, is that between now and Jan 1st nothing can change ... repeating "if only we had Ozil" after every game, is that now the level of post you're aiming for?

Don't pivot around.

If this thread is pointless, you can refrain from contributing in this thread.

If there are some people who want to talk about Ozil, that's fine. If people want to criticize Ozil, that's their opinion and anyone can engage in such discussions.

The thread isn't pointless. It's a thread dedicated to our longest serving player. People might want to remember him fondly, whilst he is still a Gunner.

Just because a rookie manager wants to exclude him for his own reasons, that doesn't mean he is right.

Any position can be contested. And this is the thread to do so.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:00 am

Angelito wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Angelito wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:Ozil is no longer in the Arsenal squad ... until he is (and that's never happening) this thread is pointless.

Ozil is an Arsenal player. People can discuss any thing they want about him. Why is it burning a few people like you that people want to talk about him?

For those who think he's done and not needed here, fair play. And, it'd be wise not to indulge in a discussion revolving around Ozil.

If people think they would want to appreciate him, talk about him, they have the liberty to do so.

Simple as that.

I've posted far to much on this thread before October 16th the point, which even the dumbest must be able to understand, is that between now and Jan 1st nothing can change ... repeating "if only we had Ozil" after every game, is that now the level of post you're aiming for?

Don't pivot around.

If there are some people who want to talk about Ozil, that's fine. If people want to criticize Ozil, that's their opinion and anyone can engage in such discussions.

The thread isn't pointless. It's a thread dedicated to our longest serving player. People might want to remember him fondly, whilst he is still a Gunner.

Just because a rookie manager wants to exclude him for his own reasons, that doesn't mean he is right.

You were in favour of that rookie manager, right?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:08 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Simple as that.

Don't pivot around.

I still am. We all accepted that It would take time. That's why any position can be contested. Just because I wanted a manager or a player here, it doesn't mean I will overlook facts and performances. We should criticize every player or manager, whether we like them, we wanted them, or praise others, we might not prefer, or might not have wanted.

I have full faith in Arteta. I just am not pedantic enough to be blinded by my preferences.

Going round and round pivoting across discussions makes no sense. It's amazing. You're talking about one thing. And all of a sudden fallacies come into play, and the topic of discussion completely changes.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:17 am

Özim wrote:The decision not to include him was terrible, even if he doesn’t play all the time, just give yourself another option in case you need it, he’s being paid anyway.

Now he’s not an option and everytime we don’t create anything it will fall on the manager, he’s brought it on himself though, it’s was a pointless decision clearly not made for footballing reasons.

At least if he included him tried him at some point and it didn’t work at all he’d be vindicated and would be free of criticism, but by including him he’s stacked the pressure on himself which isn’t the cleverest thing to do as a rookie manager with no credit in the bank.

Exactly this.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:18 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Simple as that.

Don't pivot around.

No of course not, the idea of employing a guy with zero experience was ridiculous to the extreme and we’re starting to see the issues that occur from being unproven and lacking any kind of experience. There was talk of him being the next Klopp or him being the brains behind Guardiolas success at City but that’s was way way off the mark.

IMO it was the wrong appointment and he has a lot to do to convince people otherwise, basic errors and blind faith aren’t going to do him any favours, he was always facing a steep climb to prove people wrong because he wasn’t qualified for the job so it just looked like an ill thought poorly research appointment.

I’m not going to apologise for criticising him, as far as I see it if he got the job he’ll be treated like any other manager and will need to prove he’s good enough from the off, no period of grace, the fact he has no experience is irrelevant, he got the job so he has to be qualified for it according to the board, on that basis he needs to deliver now, not on 2,3 or 4 years.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:30 am

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Simple as that.

Don't pivot around.

No of course not, the idea of employing a guy with zero experience was ridiculous to the extreme and we’re starting to see the issues that occur from being unproven and lacking any kind of experience. There was talk of him being the next Klopp or him being the brains behind Guardiolas success at City but that’s was way way off the mark.

IMO it was the wrong appointment and he has a lot to do to convince people otherwise, basic errors and blind faith aren’t going to do him any favours, he was always facing a steep climb to prove people wrong because he wasn’t qualified for the job so it just looked like an ill thought poorly research appointment.

I’m not going to apologise for criticising him, as far as I see it if he got the job he’ll be treated like any other manager and will need to prove he’s good enough from the off, no period of grace, the fact he has no experience is irrelevant, he got the job so he has to be qualified for it according to the board, on that basis he needs to deliver now, not on 2,3 or 4 years.

Oh I know how you feel on Arteta. You haven't kept it a secret. Lol

That's for Angelito who was in favour of Arteta despite numerous conversations about the risk we're taking with a 'rookie manager'.

Just seems a bit of a joke to see how quickly Arteta has been reduced to the 'rookie manager' now that he's excluded Ozil.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:36 am

The only rationale I can think about dropping Ozil, is that Arteta wants to bypass the midfield entirely. He wants Luiz to hit long balls to Tierney, Bellerin etc and try and get them in behind the opposition defense. In such a scenario you would have absolutely no need for Ozil. It would make sense. But it’s scary if that’s his plan.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:42 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Simple as that.

Don't pivot around.

Oh I know how you feel on Arteta. You haven't kept it a secret. Lol

That's for Angelito who was in favour of Arteta despite numerous conversations about the risk we're taking with a 'rookie manager'.

Just seems a bit of a joke to see how quickly Arteta has been reduced to the 'rookie manager' now that he's excluded Ozil.

Lol

It’s not just about Ozil for me, that’s just one more thing that he’s made a poor choice about, I’m not saying Ozil would be the answer either, but to not even keep him around as an option just in case seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Firstly he opens he myself up to more criticism and secondly he could use some other options given we’re struggling to create, even if it’s for 15 minutes at the end of the odd game here and there, but now that’s not an option and things continue this way he’ll probably find himself out of a job and it will be 100% self inflicted.

He couldn’t really afford to make lots of errors given the nature of his appointment, he needed to prove people he was up for the job and ready for it and not just employed because of his relationship with the people at the club and a couple friends recommending him, so far he’s not doing that.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Johnf » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am

Somehow, somehow, a way has to be found to get MO playing again. Someone, whether it be the Board or MA, has to eat humble pie and go on their knees to get Ozil back in the squad and playing. It is a nonsense to have a player of his calibre picking up big wages for doing FA.
Even if he only plays 30 mins or so a game it has to be worth a try because we are going nowhere fast now.
Johnf
Michael Thomas

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:12 am

swipe right wrote:The only rationale I can think about dropping Ozil, is that Arteta wants to bypass the midfield entirely. He wants Luiz to hit long balls to Tierney, Bellerin etc and try and get them in behind the opposition defense. In such a scenario you would have absolutely no need for Ozil. It would make sense. But it’s scary if that’s his plan.

That is a scary thought. Nail on the head.

I don't care much for Ozil. Bigger issue for me is Arteta's vision for attacking football. Someone has to play between the lines but instead we saw 3 CM's split wide, all flat and not one getting forward. I worry about where and how he'd play Aouar if he had him.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:The only rationale I can think about dropping Ozil, is that Arteta wants to bypass the midfield entirely. He wants Luiz to hit long balls to Tierney, Bellerin etc and try and get them in behind the opposition defense. In such a scenario you would have absolutely no need for Ozil. It would make sense. But it’s scary if that’s his plan.

That is a scary thought. Nail on the head.

I don't care much for Ozil. Bigger issue for me is Arteta's vision for attacking football. Someone has to play between the lines but instead we saw 3 CM's split wide, all flat and not one getting forward. I worry about where and how he'd play Aouar if he had him.

He has started playing Luiz as a quarterback. And I have to be honest, Luiz has a phenomenal passing range. It seems to me that what Arteta wants is for us to play the ball forward so quickly that it catches the opposition off guard and prevents them from regrouping. If I’m not mistaken Luiz had the most chances created in the final third against Leicester despite not playing the entire game and being a CB.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Santi wrote:
Özim wrote:The decision not to include him was terrible, even if he doesn’t play all the time, just give yourself another option in case you need it, he’s being paid anyway.

Now he’s not an option and everytime we don’t create anything it will fall on the manager, he’s brought it on himself though, it’s was a pointless decision clearly not made for footballing reasons.

At least if he included him tried him at some point and it didn’t work at all he’d be vindicated and would be free of criticism, but by including him he’s stacked the pressure on himself which isn’t the cleverest thing to do as a rookie manager with no credit in the bank.

Exactly this.

Its like going out and only taking the exact amount of money with you. Or going on a road trip and not bringing a spare wheel. Or running cables in a building and cutting them to the exact length.

You have to have a contingency, you have to have a little extra ..... just in case it is needed.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:52 pm

VCC wrote:Done for now ,
Cant play unless he is in the squad, so with his exclusion he is done here ATM.
So can we now lock this down until Ozil moves somewhere else and takes his homies to support Ozil FC with him

Why ? If people want to talk about Ozil, the situation, the club, why should they not be able to ? If you are fed up of it why keep coming back to the debate ?!

If you have no interest in this why are you here ?? Does your computer/phone automatically bring you here against your wishes ?
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Best player this season

And he's not played a second.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:07 pm

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:Arsenal news: Mesut Ozil compilation video from 19/20 proves Mikel Arteta needs him
https://www.givemesport.com/1611441-ars ... -needs-him

Only a joke of a poster would link such a dumb article.

The man has not been registered in the team so this whole premise is completely and utterly irrelevant, he's no longer an Arsenal player in all but name so what does it matter whether Arteta needs him or not?

May as well be saying Arteta needs Messi.

I thought you announced you'd quit trolling?

Mate sometimes you will make some fantastic posts and other times you will make some outright stupid posts. How is it a dumb article? Its an article that shows clips of Ozil from the 2019/20 season being creative and his range of passing, most of the games were under Arteta's management.

The article goes on to highlight that now we have Partey Ozil would be free to feed Auba with the chances he needs which is a perfectly reasonable argument and one that I made as soon as the Partey deal was concluded.

Your post is just gumpf that has no real relevance to the original post, which stated "proof that Arteta needs him". If you can watch the video and not see that we have nobody in the squad capable of doing what Ozil was doing last season - as proven by the video - then I or nobody from this world can help you.

You just haven't got the point of my post, at all is the problem.

The point wasn't whether or not Ozil is or isn't needed in the team, the point is he's now not eligible for being in the team so what's the point of discussing it? its irrelevant.

I need a million bucks, but it ain't happening and neither is Ozil playing for AFC.

He's gone, even if Arteta "needed" him and it was proven, he hasn't been registered in either the Prem or Europa, he's a dead duck as of now, never coming back, so yes, Swipes post is the epitome of irrelevant.

Stating whether or not Arteta made a mistake is one thing, but its long done now, what's the point?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club