Bernd Leno (1)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby VCC » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Özim wrote:Arteta seems to rate him, but then again he seems to like players that have errors in them (Luiz, Xhaka) so it’s no big surprise.

Can only pick the players you have
Leno picks himself, Macey has clearly never improved enough or he would have made match day squads other than when injury permitted.
Luiz has been great with the new cb partnership and his style will always have a possible mistake in it.
Xhaka I cant argue I personally dont see what 4 different managers do, but what ever it is it rarely turns up match day
User avatar
VCC
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9471
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby aniym » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Teams conceding the fewest number of goals also concede the fewest number of shots. A top keeper's job is to coordinate with the defense to achieve this. Leno should not be in the position of pulling off fingertip saves 5 times a game like he has done since arriving.

Emi has become a cult hero, despite not making many saves, and certainly none as athletic as the ones Leno has. Why? Because he exuded confidence when playing out from the back and knew exactly when to claim the ball himself or let the defender get it.

Leno OTOH has never taken to playing out from the back well and his footwork looks clumsy even after 2 seasons of practice.
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7685
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 am

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby theHotHead » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

aniym wrote:
Emi has become a cult hero, despite not making many saves, and certainly none as athletic as the ones Leno has. Why? Because he exuded confidence when playing out from the back and knew exactly when to claim the ball himself or let the defender get it.

Not sure where you got that from. From the Premier League's website this season, from the 5 games both players have played Martinez has made 20 saves to Leno's 14.
Last season Martinez made 34 saves in 9 games (3.7 saves per match) compared to Leno, 113 saves in 30 games (3.7 saves per match)
User avatar
theHotHead
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9641
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby VCC » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Well EMI had a bad day today.
But I stand by my points of his being the better all round keeper than Leno.

I hope the comparisons end there and Leno is frantically working on his crosses and distribution and more so communicating.
Incidentally 1st thing a attacking team does when playing a keeper poor in the air at corner time, they place a player right in front of the keeper,
If you have a commanding keeper in the air you wont see an attacker in the 6 yard area prior to corner being taken.
User avatar
VCC
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9471
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Could be worse. Could have let bamford score a hat trick
Ach
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 19101
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby Callum » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:36 pm

User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36706
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Kieran Tierney's back pocket

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:34 am

Leno was an absolute and utter clown in the midweek game.
I am not sure why some of our fans feel the need to track Emi's errors (significantly less than Leno's) to somehow try and cover for Leno.

We simply sold the wrong goalkeeper. That is quite obvious.
Now we need to look in January / next summer for alternatives to Leno.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8050
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby Mustafi » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:33 am

Callum wrote:

:rofll:
Mustafi
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
 
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:06 am
Location: Bremen, Germany

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby Santi » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:57 am

Funny. Think Leno’s the one who gets more excuses from what I’ve seen though, Luiz getting blamed by a lot for the goal the other day.

Anyway we have enough issues at the club, just back Leno and have a problem just with the board for selling Emi if you need to. Gotta try and let it go cos it won’t change anything.
Image
User avatar
Santi
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 38171
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 am

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby Dejan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:26 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Leno was an absolute and utter clown in the midweek game.
I am not sure why some of our fans feel the need to track Emi's errors (significantly less than Leno's) to somehow try and cover for Leno.

We simply sold the wrong goalkeeper. That is quite obvious.
Now we need to look in January / next summer for alternatives to Leno.
Imo still too early to tell whether we should the wrong goalie. I like both of them, but lets first see how martinez does over a full season

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
User avatar
Dejan
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 26898
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Dejan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Leno was an absolute and utter clown in the midweek game.
I am not sure why some of our fans feel the need to track Emi's errors (significantly less than Leno's) to somehow try and cover for Leno.

We simply sold the wrong goalkeeper. That is quite obvious.
Now we need to look in January / next summer for alternatives to Leno.
Imo still too early to tell whether we should the wrong goalie. I like both of them, but lets first see how martinez does over a full season

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk


But Martinez is in a poorer team now with a worse defensive record.

I don't even think its a competition, Martinez is clearly superior the only thing they're equal in pretty much is shot stopping.

I'd love for us to buy him back next season, make him no1 and give him his AFC fairy tale.

............ and us, a top class goalie who's not causing havoc at the back.

When Emi was here he was practically the best performing goal keep in the Prem.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 24375
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby gooney » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:46 pm

All the blame should go to our idiot of a manager. When you keep passing the ball to your keeper as part of your tactics. Mistakes are bound to happen. No team pass it back to the keeper as much as us. Keepers are not outfield players and playing back should happen only when you have no choice. Otherwise we might as well put a midfielder in goal
gooney
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15684
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:44 pm

Is it only me that thought his positioning for the goal was poor
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
User avatar
Marsbar100
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby Callum » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:59 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Is it only me that thought his positioning for the goal was poor

Not really sure what else he could have done. He has to close the angle that Under has or else he has a free shot at goal.
User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36706
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Kieran Tierney's back pocket

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:05 pm

Callum wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Is it only me that thought his positioning for the goal was poor

Not really sure what else he could have done. He has to close the angle that Under has or else he has a free shot at goal.


He wasn't at fault for the goal.
He did, however, make another clown like mistake at the start of the game.

Stupid errors every game means he is not good enough. That's how keepers are judged... minimising those errors.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8050
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nuggets, Power n Glory, Zenith and 4 guests