Bernd Leno joins Fulham

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby VCC » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Özim wrote:Arteta seems to rate him, but then again he seems to like players that have errors in them (Luiz, Xhaka) so it’s no big surprise.

Can only pick the players you have
Leno picks himself, Macey has clearly never improved enough or he would have made match day squads other than when injury permitted.
Luiz has been great with the new cb partnership and his style will always have a possible mistake in it.
Xhaka I cant argue I personally dont see what 4 different managers do, but what ever it is it rarely turns up match day
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Teams conceding the fewest number of goals also concede the fewest number of shots. A top keeper's job is to coordinate with the defense to achieve this. Leno should not be in the position of pulling off fingertip saves 5 times a game like he has done since arriving.

Emi has become a cult hero, despite not making many saves, and certainly none as athletic as the ones Leno has. Why? Because he exuded confidence when playing out from the back and knew exactly when to claim the ball himself or let the defender get it.

Leno OTOH has never taken to playing out from the back well and his footwork looks clumsy even after 2 seasons of practice.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

aniym wrote:
Emi has become a cult hero, despite not making many saves, and certainly none as athletic as the ones Leno has. Why? Because he exuded confidence when playing out from the back and knew exactly when to claim the ball himself or let the defender get it.

Not sure where you got that from. From the Premier League's website this season, from the 5 games both players have played Martinez has made 20 saves to Leno's 14.
Last season Martinez made 34 saves in 9 games (3.7 saves per match) compared to Leno, 113 saves in 30 games (3.7 saves per match)
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Well EMI had a bad day today.
But I stand by my points of his being the better all round keeper than Leno.

I hope the comparisons end there and Leno is frantically working on his crosses and distribution and more so communicating.
Incidentally 1st thing a attacking team does when playing a keeper poor in the air at corner time, they place a player right in front of the keeper,
If you have a commanding keeper in the air you wont see an attacker in the 6 yard area prior to corner being taken.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Could be worse. Could have let bamford score a hat trick
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:36 pm

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:34 am

Leno was an absolute and utter clown in the midweek game.
I am not sure why some of our fans feel the need to track Emi's errors (significantly less than Leno's) to somehow try and cover for Leno.

We simply sold the wrong goalkeeper. That is quite obvious.
Now we need to look in January / next summer for alternatives to Leno.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ESR10 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:33 am

Callum wrote:

:rofll:
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Santi » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:57 am

Funny. Think Leno’s the one who gets more excuses from what I’ve seen though, Luiz getting blamed by a lot for the goal the other day.

Anyway we have enough issues at the club, just back Leno and have a problem just with the board for selling Emi if you need to. Gotta try and let it go cos it won’t change anything.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:26 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Leno was an absolute and utter clown in the midweek game.
I am not sure why some of our fans feel the need to track Emi's errors (significantly less than Leno's) to somehow try and cover for Leno.

Imo still too early to tell whether we should the wrong goalie. I like both of them, but lets first see how martinez does over a full season

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Dejan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Leno was an absolute and utter clown in the midweek game.

Imo still too early to tell whether we should the wrong goalie. I like both of them, but lets first see how martinez does over a full season

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

But Martinez is in a poorer team now with a worse defensive record.

I don't even think its a competition, Martinez is clearly superior the only thing they're equal in pretty much is shot stopping.

I'd love for us to buy him back next season, make him no1 and give him his AFC fairy tale.

............ and us, a top class goalie who's not causing havoc at the back.

When Emi was here he was practically the best performing goal keep in the Prem.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:46 pm

All the blame should go to our idiot of a manager. When you keep passing the ball to your keeper as part of your tactics. Mistakes are bound to happen. No team pass it back to the keeper as much as us. Keepers are not outfield players and playing back should happen only when you have no choice. Otherwise we might as well put a midfielder in goal
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:44 pm

Is it only me that thought his positioning for the goal was poor
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Callum » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:59 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Is it only me that thought his positioning for the goal was poor

Not really sure what else he could have done. He has to close the angle that Under has or else he has a free shot at goal.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:05 pm

Callum wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Is it only me that thought his positioning for the goal was poor

Not really sure what else he could have done. He has to close the angle that Under has or else he has a free shot at goal.

He wasn't at fault for the goal.
He did, however, make another clown like mistake at the start of the game.

Stupid errors every game means he is not good enough. That's how keepers are judged... minimising those errors.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football