Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:49 am

I have been supportive of Arteta but now is the time to see an improvement and I am not seeing it at all. The game plan of defending against the top 6 team is weak as f**k, I expect us to defend well as a team but give the other team a go - not over committing like Wenger but attack.

This season we have been limp, the football has been sterile. Defending alone is only part of the game, we could've hired Allardyce if that was the only thing that was important. Im not pleased with what I am seeing at all, the Arteta honeymoon is well and truly over.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:54 am

EliteKiller wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:In the end of the day we lost 1-0 to the joint best team in the league at their ground.

Is that really such a disaster or just football?

in the last 2 games we're 1-1 against City.

A year ago we'd of lost both games handedly.

We lost to a team that were hammered by Leicester and drew with Leeds ... a team missing 5 key players ... this was an opportunity for Arteta to take the game to a top six opponent not just play for a point. If you take much pleasure from a 1-0 defeat against a team playing mid-table football you're pretty easily pleased. Today was a step backwards let's hope we don't see much more of the same.

I'll watch the game today and pass judgement when I've veiwed it.

I'm not going to make an argument until I've watched the performance.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:56 am

That's Ancelotti. He's no chump. But happy with Arteta. Biggest complaint has to be the team selection and subs.

Bellerin was poor for the first goal and I guarantee if that were AMN he'd get slaughtered on here. That was amateur defending.

Also, Xhaka and Ceballos are too slow in midfield. They couldn't cover enough ground. On the first goal you saw how both were caught out of position and Celballos struggling to cover the ground. Should have started with Elneny and Partey. Ceballos has been so inconsistent. He was a passenger in that game. Hit and miss.

Willian....seems clear that Arteta us unsure of how to use Willian. That was an absolute waste. Why try him out in that role for the first time against City? Just odd. Took far too long to change things around as well.

But overall disappointed we didn't get a point from that game because they weren't good at all. But as said before, Pep wouldn't have wanted to lose to Arteta. They would have prepped hard to not lose that game.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:08 am

Agree he got the lineup completely wrong, Arteta does seem to do that a fair amount to be honest, Willian was an odd one and personally I’d have definitely played Partey, but as we know Xhaka is an Arteta favourite.

Subs were too slow as well, we should have made changes before. Also thought Luiz made his usual errors in big games, you just can’t play him in these games he’s a liability m, but it seems we had no choice as apparently Saliba who cost 30 million is no good.

Overall it’s not the loss that’s most disappointing,, it’s the fact we lost in such tepid fashion, as someone said this is the beet opportunity we’ll get to beat City away, a weakened out of form team, who are defensively unstable and no fans.

I do think it’s been a poor start this season, 3 wins and 2 defeats but we’ve been poor in at least 4 games.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:48 am

Disagree. We've lost to Liverpool and City. Two teams we've beaten before. It's far from a bad start to the season.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby LMAO » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:17 am

Not too fussed about the result. Would've liked to nick a point, but I had City away as 0 points from the beginning of the season.

Will judge the performances once Partey gets settled in.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:34 am

Power n Glory wrote:Disagree. We've lost to Liverpool and City. Two teams we've beaten before. It's far from a bad start to the season.

We’ve been awful in 2 of the other 3 games as well and the first half against Fulham was poor too.

Performances are generally poor to be honest, reminds me of Emerys unbeaten run.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:36 am

Build from the back, thats how title winning squads are made. Gabriel and Partey will give us that. We are learning how to shut sides down, yesterday we pretty much did that.

That is an experience, it means when we have a lead against lower opposition then we will have more belief in the way to see it through. We weren't far off getting a result and once the defence is there (as a team rather than as individuals) then I'm guessing the next step will be to drill for attacking areas in the same way we have for defensive areas.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:57 am

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Disagree. We've lost to Liverpool and City. Two teams we've beaten before. It's far from a bad start to the season.

We’ve been awful in 2 of the other 3 games as well and the first half against Fulham was poor too.

Performances are generally poor to be honest, reminds me of Emerys unbeaten run.

Emery's Arsenal looked chaotic. Trying to understand his football was just as difficult as trying to understand his English.

I'm having a hard time understanding where the priorities lie with you and some fans at the moment. Is the aesthetic more important at the moment? Are you expecting too much too soon? I'm disappointed with some of the team selection but hoping he adjusts it as time goes on. The only reall sticking and stubborn point I see with him is the Aubameyang on the left thing.

I didn't have much expectation for Arteta when he arrived. Would have preferred a more experienced manager but we got what we got. So far, he's done better than expected and I was also fully prepared for a different brand of football. Not saying there isn't room for improvement but you've seen when we've scored goals it's usually the type of goal that looks like it's been worked on in the training ground.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:14 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:

Emery's Arsenal looked chaotic. Trying to understand his football was just as difficult as trying to understand his English.

I'm having a hard time understanding where the priorities lie with you and some fans at the moment. Is the aesthetic more important at the moment? Are you expecting too much too soon? I'm disappointed with some of the team selection but hoping he adjusts it as time goes on. The only reall sticking and stubborn point I see with him is the Aubameyang on the left thing.

I didn't have much expectation for Arteta when he arrived. Would have preferred a more experienced manager but we got what we got. So far, he's done better than expected and I was also fully prepared for a different brand of football. Not saying there isn't room for improvement but you've seen when we've scored goals it's usually the type of goal that looks like it's been worked on in the training ground.

True but Artetas Arsenal basically have no attack.

Defending is decent, but basically we’ve sacrificed everything to defend and this our attack really doesn’t have much to it, I don’t expect perfect football but I expect a bit better attacking football than we produce, more balance between attack and defence basically.

At the moment we play teams and they seem to be the more dominant force (not just the best teams), even when we do win.

The lineups are often poor as mentioned, which doesn’t help. Whilst some might be convinced about Arteta because of a cup win and a couple wins against the top sides, for me there’s still a fair bit to be worked on and performances are certainly one, you can only get away with parking the bus so long, eventually it catches up with you.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:29 am

When we score, it's usually a well crafted goal. Quick transitions, on a fast break, sweeping passes and tears through a defence. The way players have been fluid with their positioning as well....it's total football. It doesn't happen often enough but when it does it's enjoyable to watch.

Can't live in a forever state of negativity when it comes to Arsenal. I was close to switching off after we had the Covid break. It's the same discussions on forums and if it ever gets to the point where it's looking hopeless again, I'm switching off. For me, where at a stage where it's interesting to watch our games.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 am

Not getting Ancelotti continues to humiliate us with every passing game
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:39 am

I guess we’ll have to see how the season pans out, so far he’s dropped Lacazette who was on a decent scoring run and in form (not sure why you would do that), insisted on keeping Aubameyang out wide in all games, continued to play Xhaka week in week out and undermined Salibas confidence so that we’re stuck with that calamity Luiz who almost scored an own goal yesterday and also took the free kicks (someone please explain why a guy who probably will score once every 100 times and is a defender is taking free kicks?).

The defence has been decent but the rest is a bit meh for me, ok hoping Partey gets some game time and changes the dynamic a bit that’s for sure.

Results are important of course, but you can ignore performances, we need to put in some convincing performances as well, Ancelotti at Everton is certainly getting better performances out of his team right now.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:43 am

Ach wrote:Not getting Ancelotti continues to humiliate us with every passing game

Klopp us high praise for Ancelotti and thought he could make Everton rivals to Liverpool, the guy knows what he’s taking about so I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened.

So far the Rodriguez signing looks like it’s making a real difference, he’s really standing out.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:05 am

Özim wrote:
Ach wrote:Not getting Ancelotti continues to humiliate us with every passing game

Klopp us high praise for Ancelotti and thought he could make Everton rivals to Liverpool, the guy knows what he’s taking about so I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened.

So far the Rodriguez signing looks like it’s making a real difference, he’s really standing out.

I was in favour of Ancelotti and rate what he's doing but I get the sense this is a grass is always greener situation. You don't realise he hasn't beaten any of the top sides besides the one win against Spurs this year. If the performances were reversed and we had Everton's results I'm sure you would hold out on the praise whilst winning and remain sceptical. If it were Everton that had won the FA Cup instead there would be even more praise of Ancelotti.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk