The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:09 am

EliteKiller wrote:We need to bring back the guy who created just 3 goals in the whole last season - yup that makes perfect sense - let's just pray he's no longer a squad player come Monday then this sad fanboy nonsense can finally end.

Using stats alone doesn't tell the whole picture. Ozil keeps the ball moving, we look like a more coherent unit going forward.

We look clueless at the moment. Any fool can set up a team to defend, that's why the likes of Pulis Allardyce and Hughes had jobs with duffer teams. Creating is an entirely different kettle of fish, its why Wenger was great, problem was he went too far and neglected defending.

Its easier to destroy than it is to create. Ozil needs to play.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:17 am

swipe right wrote:We are unable to create chances and yet leave this guy on the bench. Crazy.

He actually doesn't make the bench
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:33 am

swipe right wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:We need to bring back the guy who created just 3 goals in the whole last season - yup that makes perfect sense - let's just pray he's no longer a squad player come Monday then this sad fanboy nonsense can finally end.

So all of a sudden a world cup winner, 5 times German player of the year, Real Madrid star, 19 assists a season player has just become shit and he can’t get into the squad ahead of Dani Ceballos and Joe Willock? Yeah that makes sense.

Exactly. Willock he last season averaged 11 passes per game and Ceballos who plays deep in the middle averaged 52, Ozil averaged 46. Ceballos who has been one of the better players this season averages 55 passes.

He is on the ball more, we keep the ball better when Ozil plays.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 am

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Put hardworking players around Ozil and give him his free role. He’ll get us 10 assists a season. At least until we buy more creative midfielders. Saka and Willian on the flanks and Partey and El Neny/Xhaka behind him.

Leaving room for just one of Auba / Laca / Pepe / Nketiah .... with your line up he might get 10 assists but we would be lucky to get 40 goals a season and probably end up in a relegation scrap.

No, you need one decent defensive midfielder to free up Ozil, you dont need 2.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:37 am

theHotHead wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Put hardworking players around Ozil and give him his free role. He’ll get us 10 assists a season. At least until we buy more creative midfielders. Saka and Willian on the flanks and Partey and El Neny/Xhaka behind him.

Leaving room for just one of Auba / Laca / Pepe / Nketiah .... with your line up he might get 10 assists but we would be lucky to get 40 goals a season and probably end up in a relegation scrap.

Auba
Saka Ozil Willian
Xhaka Partey
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:28 am

Would’ve won yesterday with Ozil
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:39 pm

Santi wrote:Would’ve won yesterday with Ozil

Agree - City were there for the taking.
We just needed better quality in the final 3rd.
Saka did his best but he was our only outlet.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Been a big critic but he is needed
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:08 pm

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Auba
Saka Ozil Willian
Xhaka Partey

Why Xhaka?? He wouldn't be anywhere near my starting 11.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 pm

I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby gamechannel » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:44 pm

theHotHead wrote:I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.

Thats just the same old rhetoric from Ozil critics. Their criticism is not invalid that his impact has diminished compared to his earlier years. But its their constant refusal to come up with a single viable name in the current squad when asked about a better alternative for Ozil that makes me laugh. They keep saying Ozil is past it yet he's still the best creative mid we got but the Ozil critics won't admit that cuz they're blinded by their agendas. Its one thing to say Ozil shouldn't play over someone like Havertz, Firminho, Fernandez et al, but to say that he doesn't deserve to play while we trot out rubbish like Willock, Nelson, Willian etc is lunacy.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:08 pm

gamechannel wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.

Thats just the same old rhetoric from Ozil critics. Their criticism is not invalid that his impact has diminished compared to his earlier years. But its their constant refusal to come up with a single viable name in the current squad when asked about a better alternative for Ozil that makes me laugh. They keep saying Ozil is past it yet he's still the best creative mid we got but the Ozil critics won't admit that cuz they're blinded by their agendas. Its one thing to say Ozil shouldn't play over someone like Havertz, Firminho, Fernandez et al, but to say that he doesn't deserve to play while we trot out rubbish like Willock, Nelson, Willian etc is lunacy.

That's great. But tell me the last time Ozil had an impact against Man City and helped us win the game?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:28 pm

Arteta system is one of press with out the ball this is something asked of all the players with the possibility of putting your foot in to win the ball.
That one factor is why Ozil wont be picked and probably never will again for Arsenal.the gaffer ain't going to ask for something to be a constant player must do, then exempt someone from that
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Angelito » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:38 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
gamechannel wrote:

Thats total bull crap.

That's great. But tell me the last time Ozil had an impact against Man City and helped us win the game?

Nobody has an issue with Ozil being benched. The problem is, he's not being benched! He's not even in the squad when he's out second highest earner.

And, he sure as heck isn't the worst player amongst those 25 here.

Ozil won't be here next season. Arteta will be. He won't be able to hide being Ozil for too much long. Arsenal fans won't be able to blame Ozil for long. The script will write itself soon.

I don't want my manager to say that losing 1-0 to this City side is "progress."
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:43 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
gamechannel wrote:

Thats total bull crap.

Nobody has an issue with Ozil being benched. The problem is, he's not being benched! He's not even in the squad when he's out second highest earner.

And, he sure as heck isn't the worst player amongst those 25 here.

Ozil won't be here next season. Arteta will be. He won't be able to hide being Ozil for too much long. Arsenal fans won't be able to blame Ozil for long. The script will write itself soon.

I don't want my manager to say that losing 1-0 to this City side is "progress."

Do we know when Ozil last had an impact off the bench?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club