Hamilton equals Schumacher's F1 win record

Re: Hamilton equals Schumacher's F1 win record

Postby Rastayouth » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:22 pm

Hamilton is the GOAT. Check his former teammates, engineers and other driver interviews to confirm. Nobody can best him over one lap, he's one of the best in the wet and he's made the most of his Mercedes seat (combination of good luck and good choice).

Very rarely do you have engineers saying "that time is not in the car, no idea how he did that".

We'd all love to see them race in the same car but that's not the way the game works. The best drivers stay and with a bit of luck find their way to the best seat. He's made the most of it.

Rate Kimi but Hamilton lost that debut title in the pits in Shanghai.

Imagine beating Fernando Alonso in your rookie season.
Rastayouth
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:36 pm

UFGN wrote:If you said back in the 80s or 90s that we'd have a British driver who was the greatest of all time youd have been locked up with a no shoe laces and a lot of plastic cutlery

Same applies to Chris Froome and cycling, or just the number of British winners we've had in the 2010s after decades of coming nowhere close.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:45 pm

Callum wrote:
UFGN wrote:If you said back in the 80s or 90s that we'd have a British driver who was the greatest of all time youd have been locked up with a no shoe laces and a lot of plastic cutlery

Same applies to Chris Froome and cycling, or just the number of British winners we've had in the 2010s after decades of coming nowhere close.

When I was a kid in the 80s we went to a holiday camp in Sussex and do you know who the big celebrity appearance was from?

Brian "Judo Bronze Medalist" Jacks :?

That was the highlight of the week

Fast forward to 2012 and Yorkshire are winning more gold medals than most countries including Australia.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Callum » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:22 am

UFGN wrote:
Callum wrote:

When I was a kid in the 80s we went to a holiday camp in Sussex and do you know who the big celebrity appearance was from?

Brian "Judo Bronze Medalist" Jacks :?

That was the highlight of the week

Fast forward to 2012 and Yorkshire are winning more gold medals than most countries including Australia.

:rofll:
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:27 am

UFGN wrote:
Santi wrote:Yeah we get it buddy, you’re a big Hamilton fan. I didn’t say it was just the car but look at the f***ing stats, nobody beats Mercedes regularly over the last 6 years so he’s racing his teammate and his engine that’s it.

Hamilton proved himself worthy of being the number 1 driver in that team, won’t doubt that. So they paired him with betas like Rosberg and Bottas who won’t challenge the ‘king’. Mercedes recently rejected drivers like Max and Alonso in part because they want a stable number 2 who’s happy to play the part.

It’s great for him, he timed his move to Mercedes perfectly and earned his #1 status there but I find his McLaren title win much more impressive. Plus back in the day it was much harder to be dominant with a DNF only costing you a max of 12 points (easier to catch up) than the 25 points it costs now. Yes equal for the current field but when comparing the eras it makes the current one easier to dominate purely on car reliability, nevermind being the fastest by miles.

Oh we're a "we" now are we? How sweet

Considering MS very rarely failed to finish your point about DNF's is point-less

Hamilton is a legend. He will go on to win more races and more titles, and cement his position in history

Lmao it’s nothing to do with Schumacher’s DNF’s, it’s about the rivals you absolute numpty. His rivals could DNF and still be in with a chance at the title, because it’s only 12 points lost. When you lose 25 points, even as Bottas in the same car, it’s harder to gain that back unless your teammate also has a DNF. Also wasn’t the main point just an example of the 10000 benefits Hamilton has had en route to his titles.

You do seem to be a bit upset about your fave lad so I will give you this, he’s the best driver on the current grid for sure. Please smile.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:51 am

Let max and lewis change cars and im pretty sure max would destroy sir lewis

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:17 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:How good was Senna?

It's worth watching the documentary Senna. It's great. Senna was a beast. A pure racer and you'll see why so many consider him the best and why Lewis admires him so much and studies his racing style. A lot of similarities in their style such as the risk taking and how good they both are at driving in rainy conditions.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:11 am

Great to see Lewis pull this off. I remember when they all questioned his move from McLaren to Mercedes because they were still developing the car. His critics forget that Schumacher and Nico Rosberg were the former drivers car but rarely got on the podium. Mercedes were strategic and built that car from scratch so credit to them as well for having the vision and grabbing Lewis.

Those that say it's just the car don't understand F1 and forget that Rosberg helped develop that car and was with Mercedes from the start. He should have been the more dominant driver if that were just about the car.

Also, debut season, Lewis was a whisker away from a World Championship. Came 2nd in his debut season and beat his teammate, Alonso, who had just won the championship the previous season and the season before that. In his second season, Lewis wins the Championship with McLaren.

Respect for Lewis and what he's done in the sport. Put him in a weaker car and at the back of the grid and you'll see him work the car to it's limits and see a lot of wheel to wheel. Wet conditions....he'll thrive where most fall apart. He's a racer. Put some respect on his name.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:34 pm

The car Rosberg and Schumi were driving was a completely different car with the older style engines. The good thing Hamilton did was move to them at the right time and they picked off in the hybrid era.

Plus already said both Rosberg and Bottas were betas, nobody is painting them as good as Lewis. Its not like he’s a shit driver, he class, but his car is what’s brought all the records and it’s hard to really compare outside of his current peers, even really inside them.

Max and Leclerc in a Mercedes would be giving him much more of a challenge and someone else might win some races or a championship even. As it is, you have one of (if not the best) drivers on the grid in a perfect car. His timing throughout his career has been his greatest gift, unlike Alonso who’s always made bad moves despite probably being a better overall driver.

Excited if these new rules actually even out the cars, you’ll have Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Max, Leclerc and Norris all in different teams trying to compete at the top. Then you’ve also got Ricciardo, Sainz and maybe Kimi who are proper racers in the mix.

Be great when the Mercedes dominance ends, as much as I respect their work.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:23 pm

It was a completely different car Shuey and Rosberg drove but the point is, Mercedes put in the work to build that car from scratch. Also, considering Rosberg was with Mercedes from the start, if it were just about the car, I'd expect him to maybe edge Hamilton considering he helped develop the car.

But either way, switching to the hybrid engines was a game changer and the fact is, the older teams weren't ready and need to step their game up. Mclaren especially. Before the engine switch and when Lewis switched to Mercedes, Lewis helped them finish 2nd in the Constructors championship over Ferrari and McLaren. That says something.

But overall for the last 20 years, the best driver with the best car tends to dominate. Ferrari and Schumacher, Vettel and Red Bull and now Lewis and Mercedes. That's F1. Whoever gets out in front on pole tends to hold that position. It's rare to see wheel to wheel action at the top end. All the action and overtaking tends to happen much further back.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:22 pm

I think you’re expecting too much from Rosberg, he wasn’t even good and again only won the title because of the car and Hamilton having a poor season. Him being in the team earlier isn’t enough to compensate for the gap in ability he had to Hamilton. Comparing those two is a no contest.

Problem with Lewis is that we’ve all seen how he acts like a petulant little child when things aren’t going his way (he did so as recently as 3 weeks ago in Russia) so his main flaw and probably his main challenge (himself) has been negated by consistently having the best car. As I said before, back in 2008 he was far more impressive than he is now, his talent spoke for itself back then. These days he’s a great driver in a perfect car and unfortunately we don’t get to see anyone challenge him even on a semi regular basis.

FWIW, I thought Vettel was massively overrated for his time at red bull as well. His car was the best by far and Alonso almost still took two titles in that shit Ferrari. Vettel actually impressed me more during his time at Ferrari despite his lack of titles because he showed he could push the car to its max even in challenging circumstances. The last 18 months though he’s completely lost his mojo as well.

I like when drivers talent is clear despite being in an inferior car, that’s just me. Max and Lando are good current examples.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:20 pm

I think the examples you have used of Vettel in recent years and Hamilton back 08 goes back to what I was saying about F1. Those that lead the race won't get wheel to wheel race action and will hardly feature on the camera if they're really tearing it up.

Hamilton knows how to race and push a car to it's limits. There is no doubt about that. But whenever a car and certain driver dominate for so long they always say it's the car. Happened with Schumacher and the same with Vettel.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:27 pm

Maybe but I don’t think those cars were as far ahead as Mercedes is. Again hard to tell the dominance of a car vs others and how much a driver is really influencing it. Mercedes car has also benefitted from being out front all the time, had they had a decent challenger then we’ve already seen some spells where it’s shit in the dirty air following other cars.

Both the team and Hamilton have done great jobs, they are top of the game, but it’s been so much easier for them both that it makes it hard for me to say they’re better than previous greats whether that’s Schumi, Senna, Prost or anyone else. Pure numbers of race wins mean f**k all at the end of the day, a great stat to have but you really need to have watched week in week out for 30 years even just to compare Hamilton and Schumi...even then there will be no definitive answer and all down to opinion and preference. Quite liked Schumi being a dirty bastard tbh (although was a Hakkinen fan) and don’t like Hamilton’s petulance so will always side with the former between the two.

Anyway no doubt Hamilton is a great racer, if anything I think it’s a shame he’s had it so easy. Some of his qually laps have shown his true quality but most of the time he’s ticking the car over, 30 secs in front of everyone not driving a Mercedes. I don’t remember such dominance previously in the sport.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:59 pm

I still remember the Schumacher years. 5 titles on the bounce with Ferrari. That was dominance. At the time he wasn't appreciated for it.

With F1 it's not like Touring Cars or Nascar. If you're the best you'll end up in the best car and dominate races. They'll have to do something again to the cars to try and even it out. But it's not Kart racing. Took a while for me to accept that. The engineering part often gets overlooked and it's why there is also a Constructors championship. The teams that are far behind need to step their game up.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:41 pm

:sleepy: :sleepy:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Sport