Arsenal's Financial Situation

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby UFGN » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Santi wrote:Well he already gave up being a fan once.


Shut up you little numpty

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that youre not bothered by this, armchair clown
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 19
Member of the Year 2014, 19
 
Posts: 20112
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby Santi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:31 pm

UFGN wrote:
Santi wrote:Well he already gave up being a fan once.


Shut up you little numpty

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that youre not bothered by this, armchair clown



Who said I'm not bothered? Just stated a fact to another poster.

Not my fault daddy Wenger got under your skin so much you had to quit on your club.
Image
User avatar
Santi
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 36672
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 am

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby UFGN » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:37 pm

It all goes back to Hillsborough and the Taylor report IMO. I'm not saying the Taylor report wasn't needed but the powers that be seized the opportunity to gentrify the sport and monetise it on a level not seen before.

Its not a coincidence that Sky Sports and the Premier League closely followed the report and its insistence on all seater stadia. I remember at the time oldskool fans moaning that they were being forced out. They were right.

Once clubs realised they could get away with charging £50 for a ticket, that was it, there was no going back. Now Premier League clubs literally share more characteristics with a FTSE business than a lower league club. That's why they think its OK to just lay people off like any other business would to maximise revenue.
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 19
Member of the Year 2014, 19
 
Posts: 20112
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:22 am

StLGooner wrote:I remember when I first came on this forum I suggested wage caps and/or transfer caps, and I pretty much got told that it was just a stupid American thing. Now I see some are starting to see the light. :)


Only works in the US because sport is all played in a closed shop - a gang of twenty Kronke's decide everything - to compare that to world wide football is like comparing NASCAR Racing to F1 sure it might look similar with cars going around and around, but scratch the surface and the comparison soon disappears.

Football is the world game - Auba can go and get his 100k a week at any club on the planet - if you limit Arsenal to a salary cap of 50k a week we wouldn't have Auba or any top class players, let alone any world class ones ... football operates in a free market environment, the NFL and NBA are USA only closed shop playthings for their rich owners ... there is simply no realistic comparison.

Pushing for a 'closed shop' is exactly what owners like Kronke and the Glaziers want - 25 clubs in a European League with no relegation gives them guaranteed profit every year - that's what they want but it's not what we want. It is as you suggest a very Stupid American Thing you just don't understand why.

FYI - Arsenal were once guaranteed a place in any US style closed shop European league, we aren't anymore ... you want that?
EliteKiller
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby gooney » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:42 am

in clubs defense, do we need scouts when we have kia now and can sign his trash players
gooney
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15621
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:58 am

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:It's unfortunate, but the players are what bring the team more revenue, not those 55 people, so you have to still invest in the team to get out of this financial rut. Would people feel better if we didn't announce signings at all, so their feelings weren't hurt? I get it, it sucks for those 55 people, but life goes on. I would imagine those 55 people would understand since they worked there. The fans don't pay money to go see them, they pay to see world class athletes, and world class athletes are what is going to bring in more money.


They are my local club and represent my local area. It is a coincidence as far as I'm concerned that they happen to be one of the biggest clubs in the country. I want success at the club but success with honour, and shafting people on a normal working wage in this way is not acceptable.

As a fan of a club which happens to be a big club, I put up with a lot including high ticket prices.... but stiffing regular staff to save a few quid is too much for me.


Arsene Wenger completely destroyed the club from top to bottom. The purge at Arsenal that is required extends far beyond the players. Given the cult like behaviour of many fans towards Wenger that still exists today, I can well imagine there exists the same mentality within the ranks of the staff. I reckon the staff that have been let go might be the Wenger FC people and the announcement about finances was just a cover so as not to embarrass Wenger.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6336
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:06 am

EliteKiller wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I remember when I first came on this forum I suggested wage caps and/or transfer caps, and I pretty much got told that it was just a stupid American thing. Now I see some are starting to see the light. :)


Only works in the US because sport is all played in a closed shop - a gang of twenty Kronke's decide everything - to compare that to world wide football is like comparing NASCAR Racing to F1 sure it might look similar with cars going around and around, but scratch the surface and the comparison soon disappears.

Football is the world game - Auba can go and get his 100k a week at any club on the planet - if you limit Arsenal to a salary cap of 50k a week we wouldn't have Auba or any top class players, let alone any world class ones ... football operates in a free market environment, the NFL and NBA are USA only closed shop playthings for their rich owners ... there is simply no realistic comparison.

Pushing for a 'closed shop' is exactly what owners like Kronke and the Glaziers want - 25 clubs in a European League with no relegation gives them guaranteed profit every year - that's what they want but it's not what we want. It is as you suggest a very Stupid American Thing you just don't understand why.

FYI - Arsenal were once guaranteed a place in any US style closed shop European league, we aren't anymore ... you want that?


I think the idea of a wage cap extends to football overall, not just us.

I'd like to see players graded and fixed wages based on grade, with some bonuses for actually winning things.
Players could be regraded each season.

Top grade players - 10k a week, going down from there.
Ticket prices no more than 10 pounds for the best seats.

That, or something like it, is what SHOULD happen, but of course will not because football was completely ruined by money and fans became unimportant a long time ago. They are just cash cows now to be exploited. Football is like a one big drug cartel taking advantage of millions of ready made junkies.

We get to watch spoiled brat players, with far less talent than footballers of yesteryear, earning hundreds of grand a week and laughing their asses off at the fans.

I think the Stranglers song 'No more Heroes' sums it up nicely.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6336
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:32 am

jayramfootball wrote:I think the idea of a wage cap extends to football overall, not just us.

I'd like to see players graded and fixed wages based on grade, with some bonuses for actually winning things.
Players could be regraded each season.

Top grade players - 10k a week, going down from there.
Ticket prices no more than 10 pounds for the best seats.

That, or something like it, is what SHOULD happen, but of course will not because football was completely ruined by money and fans became unimportant a long time ago. They are just cash cows now to be exploited. Football is like a one big drug cartel taking advantage of millions of ready made junkies.

We get to watch spoiled brat players, with far less talent than footballers of yesteryear, earning hundreds of grand a week and laughing their asses off at the fans.

I think the Stranglers song 'No more Heroes' sums it up nicely.


You seem to have an incredibly myopic view off the world ...

Football is regularly played by an estimated 240m people in the world, just a tiny percentage, only a few thousand make a living playing football, and a minuscule statistically insignificant number end up as footballing millionaires. How can you boldly claim "football was completely ruined by money and fans became unimportant a long time ago" when money and fans have almost no bearing on 239.9m of the 240m who play football around the world.

Sometimes Jayram you do let your heart overtake your head, sure there's money in football, there was when we bribed our way into the 1st division back in 1919, but the money only impacts a very tiny minority ... jumpers for goalposts is still what football is all about if you play, and if you watch on TV then you want the best, and that means they get paid fortunes, but they are not alone:

Federer earns 106m a year for hitting a tennis ball, LeBron James 88m for playing hoops, Tiger Woods 65m for hitting a ball in a hole, Mayweather 55m for fighting, Hamilton 40m for driving a fast car .... so why should footballers miss out?
EliteKiller
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby Özim » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:48 am

EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:I think the idea of a wage cap extends to football overall, not just us.

I'd like to see players graded and fixed wages based on grade, with some bonuses for actually winning things.
Players could be regraded each season.

Top grade players - 10k a week, going down from there.
Ticket prices no more than 10 pounds for the best seats.

That, or something like it, is what SHOULD happen, but of course will not because football was completely ruined by money and fans became unimportant a long time ago. They are just cash cows now to be exploited. Football is like a one big drug cartel taking advantage of millions of ready made junkies.

We get to watch spoiled brat players, with far less talent than footballers of yesteryear, earning hundreds of grand a week and laughing their asses off at the fans.

I think the Stranglers song 'No more Heroes' sums it up nicely.


You seem to have an incredibly myopic view off the world ...

Football is regularly played by an estimated 240m people in the world, just a tiny percentage, only a few thousand make a living playing football, and a minuscule statistically insignificant number end up as footballing millionaires. How can you boldly claim "football was completely ruined by money and fans became unimportant a long time ago" when money and fans have almost no bearing on 239.9m of the 240m who play football around the world.

Sometimes Jayram you do let your heart overtake your head, sure there's money in football, there was when we bribed our way into the 1st division back in 1919, but the money only impacts a very tiny minority ... jumpers for goalposts is still what football is all about if you play, and if you watch on TV then you want the best, and that means they get paid fortunes, but they are not alone:

Federer earns 106m a year for hitting a tennis ball, LeBron James 88m for playing hoops, Tiger Woods 65m for hitting a ball in a hole, Mayweather 55m for fighting, Hamilton 40m for driving a fast car .... so why should footballers miss out?


None of them should earn that much it’s not about missing out, but at least in other sports you don’t get rich unless you’re good and achieve something, in football they’re rich before they’ve ever kicked a ball!

Besides footballers wouldn’t miss out, they use to be perfectly happy earning a fraction of what they earn today, if anything today’s game promotes greed, players being enticed to play for the team that pays the most. To suggest someone misses out because they earn 50k as week (that’s still a huge amount of money) rather than
200k is way off the mark, no one needs 200k a week, 50k a week is plenty for anyone.

The pay in today’s game is totally out of control, in many ways the Bosman ruling was a terrible thing for the game.
Last edited by Özim on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Özim
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby hs6bx » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:21 am

In fairness a lot of sports people make obscene amounts of money through endorsements, social media etc. So a wage cap doesn’t clip their wings too much.

Wage cap or otherwise I would just love to see the playing field levelled to the extent that a teams success will come down to how good their manager, coaches, scouting systems, and youth development is. And whoever made the suggestions about bonuses based on winning things - great suggestion! I mean it’s all a big dream, but I think I would make football so much more competitive globally. And the clubs could then afford to drop ticket prices - they would still get a truck load of dosh from TV revenues. The clubs would actually make more money like this. I don’t see the drawbacks if this was in place... inevitably there will be some. I’m sure someone will find a hole in my master plan (probably jayram).
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:16 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:I think the idea of a wage cap extends to football overall, not just us.

I'd like to see players graded and fixed wages based on grade, with some bonuses for actually winning things.
Players could be regraded each season.

Top grade players - 10k a week, going down from there.
Ticket prices no more than 10 pounds for the best seats.

That, or something like it, is what SHOULD happen, but of course will not because football was completely ruined by money and fans became unimportant a long time ago. They are just cash cows now to be exploited. Football is like a one big drug cartel taking advantage of millions of ready made junkies.

We get to watch spoiled brat players, with far less talent than footballers of yesteryear, earning hundreds of grand a week and laughing their asses off at the fans.

I think the Stranglers song 'No more Heroes' sums it up nicely.


You seem to have an incredibly myopic view off the world ...

Football is regularly played by an estimated 240m people in the world, just a tiny percentage, only a few thousand make a living playing football, and a minuscule statistically insignificant number end up as footballing millionaires. How can you boldly claim "football was completely ruined by money and fans became unimportant a long time ago" when money and fans have almost no bearing on 239.9m of the 240m who play football around the world.

Sometimes Jayram you do let your heart overtake your head, sure there's money in football, there was when we bribed our way into the 1st division back in 1919, but the money only impacts a very tiny minority ... jumpers for goalposts is still what football is all about if you play, and if you watch on TV then you want the best, and that means they get paid fortunes, but they are not alone:

Federer earns 106m a year for hitting a tennis ball, LeBron James 88m for playing hoops, Tiger Woods 65m for hitting a ball in a hole, Mayweather 55m for fighting, Hamilton 40m for driving a fast car .... so why should footballers miss out?


In fairness, my heart does not rule my head - it just tells me what is right and wrong. None of these sports people should be earning the money they are. I say that because it costs a fortune to watch sports. We do it as fans because we are emotionally engaged to an extent that is far beyond any other 'product'.
I do not think sports is going to change back to being - well - sport ever again. It's all business and the fans are the ones exploited. No one can tell me it is right in any society that a footballer is paid hundreds of thousands a week whilst fans are paying a small fortune (and high percentage of their income) on attending football matches and buying TV packages.
My heart tells me that the money is obscene - in a society that seems to undervalue real contribution and pay peanuts to people that deserve far more.
My head tells me that is the way it is and is not going to change.
Like I said, sport has become a drug pushed by big business and we are the addicts.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6336
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:37 pm

jayramfootball wrote: In fairness, my heart does not rule my head - it just tells me what is right and wrong. None of these sports people should be earning the money they are. I say that because it costs a fortune to watch sports. We do it as fans because we are emotionally engaged to an extent that is far beyond any other 'product'.
I do not think sports is going to change back to being - well - sport ever again. It's all business and the fans are the ones exploited. No one can tell me it is right in any society that a footballer is paid hundreds of thousands a week whilst fans are paying a small fortune (and high percentage of their income) on attending football matches and buying TV packages.
My heart tells me that the money is obscene - in a society that seems to undervalue real contribution and pay peanuts to people that deserve far more.
My head tells me that is the way it is and is not going to change.
Like I said, sport has become a drug pushed by big business and we are the addicts.


So would you ban all 'expensive' items? no more first class travel, no luxury cars, no houses over 100,000, no 5 star hotels? To pick on football seems a bit limited, enjoyed both playing and watching by a huge chunk of the world's population, who cares if a few dozen players make a lot of money when they bring such pleasure and pain to millions.

If you are a true communist who believes everyone should receive exactly the same then fair enough - but if that's true why are you posting on a website only accessible to the wealthiest 60% of people with internet access? isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Just exactly how are being exploited? are you forced to be a fan?
EliteKiller
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby Dejan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:44 pm

UFGN wrote:
Santi wrote:Well he already gave up being a fan once.


Shut up you little numpty

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that youre not bothered by this, armchair clown
Lold

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
User avatar
Dejan
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 26422
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby Santi » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:50 pm

Aye me too was such a stupid comment.
Image
User avatar
Santi
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 36672
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 am

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby Özim » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:12 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote: In fairness, my heart does not rule my head - it just tells me what is right and wrong. None of these sports people should be earning the money they are. I say that because it costs a fortune to watch sports. We do it as fans because we are emotionally engaged to an extent that is far beyond any other 'product'.
I do not think sports is going to change back to being - well - sport ever again. It's all business and the fans are the ones exploited. No one can tell me it is right in any society that a footballer is paid hundreds of thousands a week whilst fans are paying a small fortune (and high percentage of their income) on attending football matches and buying TV packages.
My heart tells me that the money is obscene - in a society that seems to undervalue real contribution and pay peanuts to people that deserve far more.
My head tells me that is the way it is and is not going to change.
Like I said, sport has become a drug pushed by big business and we are the addicts.


So would you ban all 'expensive' items? no more first class travel, no luxury cars, no houses over 100,000, no 5 star hotels? To pick on football seems a bit limited, enjoyed both playing and watching by a huge chunk of the world's population, who cares if a few dozen players make a lot of money when they bring such pleasure and pain to millions.

If you are a true communist who believes everyone should receive exactly the same then fair enough - but if that's true why are you posting on a website only accessible to the wealthiest 60% of people with internet access? isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Just exactly how are being exploited? are you forced to be a fan?


It’s not about everyone getting paid the same, footballer are overpaid, it’s not even up for debate, they are.

It’s not even a few dozen, it’s the fact very average footballers earn huge fortunes and don’t really do much to deserve them and consequently also push up the salaries of those below them, we now have a scenario where footballers are millionaires before they’ve ever even played for the 1st team and that’s utterly ridiculous.

You can kinda accept the very best might get paid a lot (even if it is too much) as there’s something special about them that elevates them above the regular footballer, but to see mediocre players earning megabucks is a joke to be honest, football has just gone mad when it comes to money, it’s needs a readjustment and a wage cap of some kind for clubs would do just that as it would make clubs regulate how much average players get paid and only the elite would be remunerated a lot more.

It use to be the case that you’d have to achieve something and the money would them come, now the money comes before you achieve anything and even if you achieve nothing you can get very rich, there’s been plenty of example at Arsenal over the years.
Özim
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nuggets and 6 guests