Arsenal's Financial Situation

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:39 pm

But the players took a pay cut so the job cuts didn't happen. So what gives ?!!

Thats like me starting a charity and taking the money and spending it on clothes, cars and holidays.

Will the players get their money back ?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:42 pm

StLGooner wrote:It's unfortunate, but the players are what bring the team more revenue, not those 55 people, so you have to still invest in the team to get out of this financial rut. Would people feel better if we didn't announce signings at all, so their feelings weren't hurt? I get it, it sucks for those 55 people, but life goes on. I would imagine those 55 people would understand since they worked there. The fans don't pay money to go see them, they pay to see world class athletes, and world class athletes are what is going to bring in more money.

They are my local club and represent my local area. It is a coincidence as far as I'm concerned that they happen to be one of the biggest clubs in the country. I want success at the club but success with honour, and shafting people on a normal working wage in this way is not acceptable.

As a fan of a club which happens to be a big club, I put up with a lot including high ticket prices.... but stiffing regular staff to save a few quid is too much for me.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:48 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:It's unfortunate, but the players are what bring the team more revenue, not those 55 people, so you have to still invest in the team to get out of this financial rut. Would people feel better if we didn't announce signings at all, so their feelings weren't hurt? I get it, it sucks for those 55 people, but life goes on. I would imagine those 55 people would understand since they worked there. The fans don't pay money to go see them, they pay to see world class athletes, and world class athletes are what is going to bring in more money.

They are my local club and represent my local area. It is a coincidence as far as I'm concerned that they happen to be one of the biggest clubs in the country. I want success at the club but success with honour, and shafting people on a normal working wage in this way is not acceptable.

As a fan of a club which happens to be a big club, I put up with a lot including high ticket prices.... but stiffing regular staff to save a few quid is too much for me.

So are you saying you're no longer going to be a fan? :dontknow:

This is what happens with Stan as the owner. We should be lucky that he hasn't moved the team to Manchester or Liverpool yet. The man is a first class w***er.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Well he already gave up being a fan once.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:37 pm

StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

This is what happens with Stan as the owner. We should be lucky that he hasn't moved the team to Manchester or Liverpool yet. The man is a first class w***er.

We might have been playing our home games in Scunthorpe if we didn’t recently get a new stadium. #bargainstadium
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:28 pm

hs6bx wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

We might have been playing our home games in Scunthorpe if we didn’t recently get a new stadium. #bargainstadium

Or sharing one with Spurs if Dein got his way before he left.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:41 pm

I hate how some fans are so quick to defend this decision, as if our multi-billionaire owner is right in not stumping up what is effectively pocket change to keep hard-working people in their jobs. Why are people so quick to defend billionaires these days?

Also, football clubs are not just businesses, they're more than that. Most businesses have to compete with others to keep their consumers happy (i.e. their fans), but clubs know that their fans' loyalty is almost guaranteed. That gives them a social responsibility to act in a certain way, and defend the club's values. It's not just about bottom lines and profits, football clubs are not just regular businesses.

Genuinely makes me ashamed to support this club right now, at a time when we should all be ecstatic and happy about the weekend's result.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:07 pm

Callum wrote:I hate how some fans are so quick to defend this decision, as if our multi-billionaire owner is right in not stumping up what is effectively pocket change to keep hard-working people in their jobs. Why are people so quick to defend billionaires these days?

Also, football clubs are not just businesses, they're more than that. Most businesses have to compete with others to keep their consumers happy (i.e. their fans), but clubs know that their fans' loyalty is almost guaranteed. That gives them a social responsibility to act in a certain way, and defend the club's values. It's not just about bottom lines and profits, football clubs are not just regular businesses.

Genuinely makes me ashamed to support this club right now, at a time when we should all be ecstatic and happy about the weekend's result.

I agree Callum, it’s really sad for our club and football in general. But such is the nature of ownership in the premier league that the only way to affect this will be to hit their pockets by not going to games. And even then the prawn sandwich brigade will still buy tickets to ‘entertain’. this is a tough one because it then means If fans vote with their feet then the players don’t get the support, and likely the team suffers because of that.

Personally I’d like to see an more sensible financial model all over Europe with wage caps and clubs either owned by the fans or publicly listed. In the short term though... that is unlikely
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Callum » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:15 pm

hs6bx wrote:
Callum wrote:I hate how some fans are so quick to defend this decision, as if our multi-billionaire owner is right in not stumping up what is effectively pocket change to keep hard-working people in their jobs. Why are people so quick to defend billionaires these days?

I agree Callum, it’s really sad for our club and football in general. But such is the nature of ownership in the premier league that the only way to affect this will be to hit their pockets by not going to games. And even then the prawn sandwich brigade will still buy tickets to ‘entertain’. this is a tough one because it then means If fans vote with their feet then the players don’t get the support, and likely the team suffers because of that.

Personally I’d like to see an more sensible financial model all over Europe with wage caps and clubs either owned by the fans or publicly listed. In the short term though... that is unlikely

Yeah it's a trend happening all over Europe, but there are examples of clubs who still remain more true to their fanbases at the expense of financial gains at all cost. Like if you asked me if I'd prefer keeping those 55 staff members on the books rather than signing Willian on 100k p/w, I'd know what I'd prefer...

I'd rather support a club that has some sort of social responsibility to it's staff members and community that chasing success at all costs. We're also talking about a negligible amount of money here in the grand scheme of things.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:30 pm

I remember when I first came on this forum I suggested wage caps and/or transfer caps, and I pretty much got told that it was just a stupid American thing. Now I see some are starting to see the light. :)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:39 pm

If this forces the club's leadership to focus on developing homegrown talent and buying cheaper youth players for squad depth, instead of giving mega-contracts to underperforming players and free transfers, then there might be some light at the end of the tunnel. We can't continue paying Top 4 wage bills with Top 8 finishes.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:46 pm

StLGooner wrote:I remember when I first came on this forum I suggested wage caps and/or transfer caps, and I pretty much got told that it was just a stupid American thing. Now I see some are starting to see the light. :)

Could only agree if it was worldwide
Wouldnt like to see us hamstrung
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:50 pm

starmandb wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I remember when I first came on this forum I suggested wage caps and/or transfer caps, and I pretty much got told that it was just a stupid American thing. Now I see some are starting to see the light. :)

Could only agree if it was worldwide
Wouldnt like to see us hamstrung

Yes, of course it would have to be world wide. Which I understand is easier said than done.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:07 pm

Yup, never understood the animosity myself. The argument I received most was that it would be unfair to the league that implemented a cap because other leagues could simply offer more to entice players. Yet, the NBA is a superior league to the EuroLeague and is in no danger of being overtaken as the world's top basketball league despite there being no salary cap in Europe. In fact, many of the best EuroLeague players decide to come over here to play.

I personally think out of all of our leagues in America, the MLB's luxury tax system where teams pay a surcharge if they go over a certain payroll cap on players would work best in Europe. The richest owners could pay the tax, but it'll quickly get to the point where doing so long-term won't be worth it to their personal fortunes.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:47 pm

LMAO wrote:

Yup, never understood the animosity myself. The argument I received most was that it would be unfair to the league that implemented a cap because other leagues could simply offer more to entice players. Yet, the NBA is a superior league to the EuroLeague and is in no danger of being overtaken as the world's top basketball league despite there being no salary cap in Europe. In fact, many of the best EuroLeague players decide to come over here to play.

I personally think out of all of our leagues in America, the MLB's luxury tax system where teams pay a surcharge if they go over a certain payroll cap on players would work best in Europe. The richest owners could pay the tax, but it'll quickly get to the point where doing so long-term won't be worth it to their personal fortunes.

Yea, but I do think it would have to be worldwide in football. Even though I think many people think that the Prem is the best football league, it isn't that much better than Spain, Germany, or Itally, compared to how much better the NBA is to the Euroleague. Does that make sense? I would worry that players would just go to Spain or elsewhere to get more money, and then one of those leagues would get all the talent and become elite.

Now, the luxury tax thing might work, but it's going to be hard to get owners to sign up for that.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk