The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby VCC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 am

hs6bx wrote:I agree with you VCC. The game has moved on and there aren’t many ‘luxury’ players at top clubs anymore - even if you look at the best players in the league like KDB and Silva at city, those boys are excellent out of possession.

Anyway, Ozil, as you guys say is well within his right to stay and pick up his wages. It’s the clubs fault for offering a ludicrous contract.

However, what I will say, is that arsenal MUST be willing to accept a loan offer where we pay even £250k of his wages still. It doesn’t make financial sense not to if he’s not playing right? So a club can come in and pay Ozil £100k p/w for a year loan. Makes sense to me that this should be a no brainier to get a return on investment of some sort.

So when you take this into consideration there could only be 2 reasons why Ozil will still be at arsenal next year:
1. No other club is interested in signing him
2. He doesn’t want to move

If he doesn’t want to move for the same wages, plus first team football then I would suggest that playing football really isn’t that important to him. He’s had his career and is happy to pick up his cheque until his contract ends. Each to their own. I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but I wouldn’t want him in the team. And I don’t Think many others would (if this is the case of course).

if This is hypothetical of course, and none of us know. But is this a fair assessment? What do you guys think?

Pretty much what I think

Arteta has made it crystal he wants work ethic on the pitch, personally I will proudly watch players who fight for everything and if they lose you can take that having seen the guts on the pitch. Imo Ozil like I have said no longer meets any criteria of the new modern athletic dynamic work orientated player.
But I honestly think it will be a miracle to move him
Good player in his time but it's no longer his time.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:05 pm

hs6bx wrote:Here is a question for everyone if that is true - if there are clubs who want to sign Ozil and would pay his wages and offer him Regular first team football (assuming arsenal would even subsidise some of the wages), why wouldn’t he leave?

Well I guess it would need to be at a similar prestige club. No other top club will buy Ozil and pay half of those wages let alone all of it, so he won't be going anywhere.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:07 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I don't see anything in Arteta's actions that he wants anything to do with Ozil or Guendouzi.

If that's going to be the case then we really need to get Ozil loaned out for at least 50% of his wages, that's Lacazettes wages saved even if we pay half of Ozil's wage.

I think everyone needs to get that idea out of their head!! He doesn't want to go so he won't go. So best we face up to that. What do we do when he is here? Not play him in a show of authority and waste all that money?
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 pm

:arse flag.gif:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ag6789 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:57 pm

If he isn't fit enough to handle PL football, then won't it be suicidal to put him in anyway? Any manager in right state of mind will find a way to use his most valuable asset. He has had problems w/ everyone right around WC '18. Even w/ Wenger he didn't play last few games that season. Same w/ Emery and now w/ Arteta, who actually reinstated as soon as he came in.
Ozil hasn't been much effective at all in a long while. He probably has extra football issues. From the media there are plenty of stories regarding games he plays creating back problems, etc. Little can managers do if the players don't behave professionally mid career.
It is like in any profession , if one stops or are unable to do their jobs, they get sacked, but here the circumstances are different, since money has been guaranteed.
AFC' ll have to take the loss and move on.
It is like buying a 30 mil Pepe for 72 mil.
Sheer lack of foresight all round.
Add on another 18 mil to the 42 mil. At least for the time being.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:01 pm

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:I don't see anything in Arteta's actions that he wants anything to do with Ozil or Guendouzi.

If that's going to be the case then we really need to get Ozil loaned out for at least 50% of his wages, that's Lacazettes wages saved even if we pay half of Ozil's wage.

I think everyone needs to get that idea out of their head!! He doesn't want to go so he won't go. So best we face up to that. What do we do when he is here? Not play him in a show of authority and waste all that money?

Play him with the youth
At least some of the up and coming stars may learn his technique for keeping the ball, as long as they learn his work without the ball is unacceptable
But like I say club either pays him out and moves on.
But I guess behind closed doors they should have had a conversation around where Ozil stands in the Arsenal vision. And as its Ozil right to take the wage, its Arsenals right not to pay him out and freeze him from playing.
The latter realistically is a mexican stand off where by Ozil will eventually clear off into the sunset as an eventual forgotten player
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby LMAO » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:26 pm

LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Losmeister » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:10 pm

Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:24 am

theHotHead wrote:

Is it a show of authority though or more like Arteta doesn't want him as a player?

In fact the way he's not even been on the bench it obviously is something more.

......... that's actually more worrying, Arteta simply doesn't want Ozil for whatever reason and its likely to be lack of effort in training or adhering to Arteta's instructions, possibly an attitude conflict like Guendouzi.

In all honesty it looks to me like Ozil just wants to earn his £350k, to me he looks done with it all, he's hardly doing what's needed to get back in Arteta's good books is he, mans playing Fortnight all the time.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:43 am

VCC wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Play him with the youth
At least some of the up and coming stars may learn his technique for keeping the ball, as long as they learn his work without the ball is unacceptable
But like I say club either pays him out and moves on.
But I guess behind closed doors they should have had a conversation around where Ozil stands in the Arsenal vision. And as its Ozil right to take the wage, its Arsenals right not to pay him out and freeze him from playing.
The latter realistically is a mexican stand off where by Ozil will eventually clear off into the sunset as an eventual forgotten player

Ozil's work off the ball is world class - rarely seen a more intelligent player in terms of finding pockets of space and understanding where his team mates are in preparation for receiving a pass and linking play.

'Work off the ball' is far more than tackling and chasing back.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:12 am

Angelito wrote:

:arse flag.gif:

Absolute class footballer - easily the most talented we have.
Watching this - in apparently an awful year - makes me quite worried about Arteta's future plans. If he can't find a place in the entire squad, when we are so bad right now at creating chances - we might be in for some dire years of football - or worse we have a manager who gets into personal arguments with players and drops them regardless of whether it is good for the teams' prospects.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:16 am

He may have been "world class" and maybe was once "the most talented we had" but if he'd rather be on holiday in Turkey than supporting his team mates in an FA Cup final, what more do you need to know about his character?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 am

EliteKiller wrote:He may have been "world class" and maybe was once "the most talented we had" but if he'd rather be on holiday in Turkey than supporting his team mates in an FA Cup final, what more do you need to know about his character?

I am sure he'd rather be playing, but Arteta does not want him.

Should he be in the stands? Yeah, probably. That said, Arteta is in the process of publicly humiliating him - I assume to try and get him to leave - so I have no problem with him not being there.

This entire debacle is of Arteta's doing.

Ozil, Guendouzi, Martinelli. All 3 have been sidelined by Arteta. We're not in a position to be able to sideline such players. Saka also seems like he may be heading into Arteta's bad books too. Our manager is acting like King Joffrey.

jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:38 pm

Update on Ozil
His holiday was approved by the club because he was not allowed to be at today's final. Only 10 non playing club memebers are allowed to attend due to Covid.
What is more interesting to this story is who said he was on holiday. If he's not allowed to attend, then why mention the holiday???
Seems to me that it's Ozil being treated incredibly poorly by Arteta.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:43 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Update on Ozil
His holiday was approved by the club because he was not allowed to be at today's final. Only 10 non playing club memebers are allowed to attend due to Covid.
What is more interesting to this story is who said he was on holiday. If he's not allowed to attend, then why mention the holiday???
Seems to me that it's Ozil being treated incredibly poorly by Arteta.

It's not Arteta. It's Raul and Co.

Arteta has spoken well of Ozil when asked. Unlike with 'Douzi.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club