Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:03 pm

This is silly.

van Persie is widely recognized as our best player post-Highbury.

In fact, the top-4 more or less picks itself with van Persie, Alexis, Cesc, and Ozil. The fifth spot is up for grabs with contenders that include Sagna, Cazorla, and Auba.

What's intriguing is how the three acts of Wenger's Arsenal arc have these epic duos.

Act I: DB10, Henry
Act II: van Persie, Cesc
Act III: Alexis, Ozil
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Its not because who was the better player isn't the debate.

In fact the first thing I said was "I'm not saying Auba is a better all round player" it was simply that Jay was slating Auba's goal scoring record and HE compared RVP.

I put up the numbers to expose him and he had a meltdown and scrambled to change the narrative over and over hoping the point would get lost, I just held him by his little toe so to speak.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:34 pm

I guess the only thing that matters is whether we should keep Aubameyang since RvP retired long ago. It doesn’t really matter who is better - I’ve witnessed people argue the Messi v Ronaldo case for ages, and one person will pull stats, another will pull trophies. The fact is you can focus on whatever you want but different people will focus on different things that they like / dislike in order argue the point. No one grounded firmly in their belief is going to have their mind changed... but Equally no one can be correct / incorrect if it’s just an opinion.

For what it’s worth I’m fully on board with giving Auba a new contract. It’s very difficult to replace a 20-25 goals a season man without paying through the nose... and let’s face it, what top striker wants to come play in the Europa league? Forget the age for a second... is he likely to grab another 20 odd goals a season next year? Well if he stays fit I’d say yes. Remember that it only takes one day for a player to go from 31 to 32. They don’t become drastically worse overnight - the decline is slow. The reality is that he bangs in the goals and will probably get even more In a better side... which hopefully we will be next season!
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Phil71 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:35 pm

hs6bx wrote:I guess the only thing that matters is whether we should keep Aubameyang since RvP retired long ago. It doesn’t really matter who is better - I’ve witnessed people argue the Messi v Ronaldo case for ages, and one person will pull stats, another will pull trophies. The fact is you can focus on whatever you want but different people will focus on different things that they like / dislike in order argue the point. No one grounded firmly in their belief is going to have their mind changed... but Equally no one can be correct / incorrect if it’s just an opinion.

For what it’s worth I’m fully on board with giving Auba a new contract. It’s very difficult to replace a 20-25 goals a season man without paying through the nose... and let’s face it, what top striker wants to come play in the Europa league? Forget the age for a second... is he likely to grab another 20 odd goals a season next year? Well if he stays fit I’d say yes. Remember that it only takes one day for a player to go from 31 to 32. They don’t become drastically worse overnight - the decline is slow. The reality is that he bangs in the goals and will probably get even more In a better side... which hopefully we will be next season!

Well said.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:46 pm

hs6bx wrote:I guess the only thing that matters is whether we should keep Aubameyang since RvP retired long ago. It doesn’t really matter who is better - I’ve witnessed people argue the Messi v Ronaldo case for ages, and one person will pull stats, another will pull trophies. The fact is you can focus on whatever you want but different people will focus on different things that they like / dislike in order argue the point. No one grounded firmly in their belief is going to have their mind changed... but Equally no one can be correct / incorrect if it’s just an opinion.

Largely agree.
The only reason RVP was brought up is because he cost 29m at his peak and it puts into perspective the folly of losing c30m in transfer fees and paying an extra 39m in wages for a player who has failed to even get close to RVP's peak in the PL. There are many other players that could equally be used as an example.

The reason I think Auba should be sold is not because I think he is a bad player. On the contrary, I think he is a very good goalscorer, but has little else (nothing) to his game. 22 goals in consecutive seasons is very good but not exceptional. With nothing else to offer, the money could be spent far more wisely on building our long mid term future.

No one as yet has come with any counter argument as to why Auba should be kept. It's just about the 22 goals in a year. But, we're not going to lose the goals if we lose Auba.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:59 pm

I will put Sanchez, Cazorla and Ozil ahead of RVP in terms of achievements and effectiveness for Arsenal.
RVP had one stellar season for us and spend almost 50% of his tenure (7 yrs) on treatment table. When he hit red hot form he ditched us for greener pastures.
Similar scenario w/ Cesc and Nasri.
Don't have much soft corner for them
Rather will place Rosicky and Ramsey ahead of him. Inspite of horrendous injuries toughened it out for us. Ramsey, the diminished player he was, ( criminal Shawcross tackle), did give us plenty of joy by scoring crucial goals.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby themessiah » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:12 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

Largely agree.
The only reason RVP was brought up is because he cost 29m at his peak and it puts into perspective the folly of losing c30m in transfer fees and paying an extra 39m in wages for a player who has failed to even get close to RVP's peak in the PL. There are many other players that could equally be used as an example.

The reason I think Auba should be sold is not because I think he is a bad player. On the contrary, I think he is a very good goalscorer, but has little else (nothing) to his game. 22 goals in consecutive seasons is very good but not exceptional. With nothing else to offer, the money could be spent far more wisely on building our long mid term future.

No one as yet has come with any counter argument as to why Auba should be kept. It's just about the 22 goals in a year. But, we're not going to lose the goals if we lose Auba.

:clap:

Could see him at Inter maybe if Lautaro moves barca but we have to get a fee. .

Even though Lautaro has been shocking for inter since the restart Lautaro is important here. Whoever of Inter and Barca doesn’t end up with him will go for Auba.

Lukaku Auba would be a very good partnership. With ALexis sanchez as back for both.

If we don’t make Europa and Auba doesn’t want to sign a new deal,we have to sell. The problem is who do we buy?.

As crazy as it sounds i would have said give Martinelli a go but Martinelli is out till 2021 ffs.

I know he has had a poor season but Maybe get Jovic on a loan from Madrid? After that, maybe invest in a creative CM and a CB.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby starmandb » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:18 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Angelito wrote:^ Auba prefers to play centrally. But he's willing to play wherever Arteta wants him to.

Question is, is he better from a wider starting position than he is centrally ? Its all well and good him preferring to be central but is he better from the other position ? I can't remember him being any good for us centrally.

Aubameyang has scored 40 goals in 5308 mins at centre forward
A goal every 132 mins
Better than owen shearer van Persie and suarez among others
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby themessiah » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:29 pm

starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Angelito wrote:^ Auba prefers to play centrally. But he's willing to play wherever Arteta wants him to.

Question is, is he better from a wider starting position than he is centrally ? Its all well and good him preferring to be central but is he better from the other position ? I can't remember him being any good for us centrally.

Aubameyang has scored 40 goals in 5308 mins at centre forward
A goal every 132 mins
Better than owen shearer van Persie and suarez among others

Auba himself has said he does not like playing at center forward because defenders target him but when he comes from the wing, he can run at them. He's wasted playing with back to goal. He's not that kind of player.

People forget that Auba’s greatest quality isn’t just his pace but his timing of runs and POACHING ability which is why he is well suited to wide forward and not the CF role.

RVP is the more complete footballer, and therefore the one better to my personal liking, but AUBA would be the most clinical wide Forward. Auba never be the same level as Henry or Van Persie for that matter they had to learn how to be complete strikers and from his time at St Etienne and on to Dortmund he’s never developed that quality to be the complete Striker imo. Very good LW though.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby hs6bx » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:10 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

Largely agree.

That is my point. For 22 goals a season for a team that finished mid table who could come in and do that? Or who in the squad is going to replace those goals (meaning they score that many in addition to their current goal tally)?
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 pm

hs6bx wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Largely agree.

That is my point. For 22 goals a season for a team that finished mid table who could come in and do that? Or who in the squad is going to replace those goals (meaning they score that many in addition to their current goal tally)?

I think we'd have players step up and score - we always have in the past.
My bet would be we'll score more next year with or without Auba.
If we continue our defensive improvement we'll move up the league, maybe get top 6.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:18 pm

ag6789 wrote:I will put Sanchez, Cazorla and Ozil ahead of RVP in terms of achievements and effectiveness for Arsenal.
RVP had one stellar season for us and spend almost 50% of his tenure (7 yrs) on treatment table. When he hit red hot form he ditched us for greener pastures.

To be fair this is spot on. Yes he scored some remarkable goals for us but it was really his last season and a half with us that he really sparkled. For the same reason I can't put Rosicky up there - even though he was one of my favourite Emirates players, out for too long injured. I absolutely put Cazorla up there, the man was brilliant and Cesc was phenomenal, Ozil breathed life back into the club and was the catalyst for end our trophy drought. I'm not sure about Sanchez, not sure if he deserves to be up there ...... :think:
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Jase89 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:08 am

Wonder if there is any truth to the rumours in the paper that Auba tried to secure a switch to Chelsea in the January window this year?

Daily Mail “Arsenal skipper Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang plotted a shock move to Chelsea in January but the deal collapsed due to his wage demands.”
Jase89
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Santi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

First thought was that it’s some mind games ahead of the match tbh, otherwise why’s it only coming out now
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Santi wrote:First thought was that it’s some mind games ahead of the match tbh, otherwise why’s it only coming out now

Could be, though wouldn't surprise me if true.
Auba is all about himself and always has been. Let's not forget he went on strike at Dortmund.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club