Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby hs6bx » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:10 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
hs6bx wrote:I guess the only thing that matters is whether we should keep Aubameyang since RvP retired long ago. It doesn’t really matter who is better - I’ve witnessed people argue the Messi v Ronaldo case for ages, and one person will pull stats, another will pull trophies. The fact is you can focus on whatever you want but different people will focus on different things that they like / dislike in order argue the point. No one grounded firmly in their belief is going to have their mind changed... but Equally no one can be correct / incorrect if it’s just an opinion.

For what it’s worth I’m fully on board with giving Auba a new contract. It’s very difficult to replace a 20-25 goals a season man without paying through the nose... and let’s face it, what top striker wants to come play in the Europa league? Forget the age for a second... is he likely to grab another 20 odd goals a season next year? Well if he stays fit I’d say yes. Remember that it only takes one day for a player to go from 31 to 32. They don’t become drastically worse overnight - the decline is slow. The reality is that he bangs in the goals and will probably get even more In a better side... which hopefully we will be next season!

Largely agree.
The only reason RVP was brought up is because he cost 29m at his peak and it puts into perspective the folly of losing c30m in transfer fees and paying an extra 39m in wages for a player who has failed to even get close to RVP's peak in the PL. There are many other players that could equally be used as an example.

The reason I think Auba should be sold is not because I think he is a bad player. On the contrary, I think he is a very good goalscorer, but has little else (nothing) to his game. 22 goals in consecutive seasons is very good but not exceptional. With nothing else to offer, the money could be spent far more wisely on building our long mid term future.

No one as yet has come with any counter argument as to why Auba should be kept. It's just about the 22 goals in a year. But, we're not going to lose the goals if we lose Auba.

That is my point. For 22 goals a season for a team that finished mid table who could come in and do that? Or who in the squad is going to replace those goals (meaning they score that many in addition to their current goal tally)?
hs6bx
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 pm

hs6bx wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
hs6bx wrote:I guess the only thing that matters is whether we should keep Aubameyang since RvP retired long ago. It doesn’t really matter who is better - I’ve witnessed people argue the Messi v Ronaldo case for ages, and one person will pull stats, another will pull trophies. The fact is you can focus on whatever you want but different people will focus on different things that they like / dislike in order argue the point. No one grounded firmly in their belief is going to have their mind changed... but Equally no one can be correct / incorrect if it’s just an opinion.

For what it’s worth I’m fully on board with giving Auba a new contract. It’s very difficult to replace a 20-25 goals a season man without paying through the nose... and let’s face it, what top striker wants to come play in the Europa league? Forget the age for a second... is he likely to grab another 20 odd goals a season next year? Well if he stays fit I’d say yes. Remember that it only takes one day for a player to go from 31 to 32. They don’t become drastically worse overnight - the decline is slow. The reality is that he bangs in the goals and will probably get even more In a better side... which hopefully we will be next season!

Largely agree.
The only reason RVP was brought up is because he cost 29m at his peak and it puts into perspective the folly of losing c30m in transfer fees and paying an extra 39m in wages for a player who has failed to even get close to RVP's peak in the PL. There are many other players that could equally be used as an example.

The reason I think Auba should be sold is not because I think he is a bad player. On the contrary, I think he is a very good goalscorer, but has little else (nothing) to his game. 22 goals in consecutive seasons is very good but not exceptional. With nothing else to offer, the money could be spent far more wisely on building our long mid term future.

No one as yet has come with any counter argument as to why Auba should be kept. It's just about the 22 goals in a year. But, we're not going to lose the goals if we lose Auba.

That is my point. For 22 goals a season for a team that finished mid table who could come in and do that? Or who in the squad is going to replace those goals (meaning they score that many in addition to their current goal tally)?

I think we'd have players step up and score - we always have in the past.
My bet would be we'll score more next year with or without Auba.
If we continue our defensive improvement we'll move up the league, maybe get top 6.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
jayramfootball
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:18 pm

ag6789 wrote:I will put Sanchez, Cazorla and Ozil ahead of RVP in terms of achievements and effectiveness for Arsenal.
RVP had one stellar season for us and spend almost 50% of his tenure (7 yrs) on treatment table. When he hit red hot form he ditched us for greener pastures.

To be fair this is spot on. Yes he scored some remarkable goals for us but it was really his last season and a half with us that he really sparkled. For the same reason I can't put Rosicky up there - even though he was one of my favourite Emirates players, out for too long injured. I absolutely put Cazorla up there, the man was brilliant and Cesc was phenomenal, Ozil breathed life back into the club and was the catalyst for end our trophy drought. I'm not sure about Sanchez, not sure if he deserves to be up there ...... :think:
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Jase89 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:08 am

Wonder if there is any truth to the rumours in the paper that Auba tried to secure a switch to Chelsea in the January window this year?

Daily Mail “Arsenal skipper Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang plotted a shock move to Chelsea in January but the deal collapsed due to his wage demands.”
Jase89
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Santi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

First thought was that it’s some mind games ahead of the match tbh, otherwise why’s it only coming out now
#YoPierre
Santi
Member of the Year 2017
Member of the Year 2017

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Santi wrote:First thought was that it’s some mind games ahead of the match tbh, otherwise why’s it only coming out now

Could be, though wouldn't surprise me if true.
Auba is all about himself and always has been. Let's not forget he went on strike at Dortmund.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
jayramfootball
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Jase89 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:18 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Santi wrote:First thought was that it’s some mind games ahead of the match tbh, otherwise why’s it only coming out now

Could be, though wouldn't surprise me if true.
Auba is all about himself and always has been. Let's not forget he went on strike at Dortmund.

If he wasn’t all about himself he would have signed a new contract by now. I firmly believe he is waiting for another club to come in for him. I’ll eat my hard hat if he signs a new deal with us, just can’t see it
Jase89
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby starmandb » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Is it beyond the wit of man to put all personal feelings about players to one side and get unequivocally behind the arsenal on fa cup final day? Or is the desire to be right more important? Dont you know that nobody is ever wrong on the internet anyway. Come on you gunners....
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018

Postby VCC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:02 pm

So hope he gets in this game early
VCC
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Rayyo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:55 pm

Jase89 wrote:Wonder if there is any truth to the rumours in the paper that Auba tried to secure a switch to Chelsea in the January window this year?

Daily Mail “Arsenal skipper Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang plotted a shock move to Chelsea in January but the deal collapsed due to his wage demands.”

the night before a cup final

i think we know the answer
Rayyo
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Fenice » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Could be his last game with us. Surely wants to exit with a cup?
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Didn't know he had the best minutes to goal ratio in the PL since he's joined. I knew he had the most goals.

Pundits seem confident he will stay

No one knows.

Must stay
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Tony Adams » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Pay him what he wants!
Tony Adams
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:01 pm

If this is to be his last game then what a last game.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:35 pm

Please sign. Out on the pitch
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk