Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Which one did you get?

Pfizer-BioNTech
32%
Moderna
15%
Janssen (J&J)
6%
Oxford-AstraZeneca
29%
Sinopharm/Sinovac
No votes
Sputnik-V
No votes
Not vaccinated yet
18%

Total votes : 34

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Postby Jedi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:44 pm

UFGN wrote:Scientists are trying to develop a vaccine against Covid-19 coronavirus..... bare in mind, the common cold is a coronavirus or more specifically a shitload of different coronaviruses that change and mutate regularly.

Do we have a vaccine against the cold? No of course we don't. How valuable would such a vaccine be? It would be worth ££££££. Everyone would want it.

Soooo, we have to be realistic and say we might not get a vaccine at all. It seems more likely that the solution will be to develop better treatments so that the death rate is further reduced. We might have to just live with it..... also bare in mind that some viruses weaken in their potency over time, but that takes many years.

I'm pretty clueless about viruses but from what I've been reading i don't think a lot of what you said is true.

First of all, based on a google search, the common cold is 75% rhinoviruses. There are some coronaviruses that fall under the umbrella term but they don't represent the majority. Source: https://www.verywellhealth.com/why-ther ... old-770451

Secondly, all viruses mutate regularly but the changes in Covid-19 don't seem to be that dramatic and shouldn't pose a problem for a vaccine:
It may come down to the structure and biology of this particular virus. SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is covered in tiny spikes called surface proteins. Experts say that the virus is unlikely to mutate in a meaningful way, meaning the vaccines that are being developed now are likely to work in the future.
Source: https://abcnews.go.com/US/covid-19-vacc ... d=71333281

Lastly, my impression was that scientists feel pretty confident about having an effective vaccine in 2021. Here's a company claiming they'll have an emergency vaccine by October:
A vaccine in development by the British-Swedish company AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford is based on a chimpanzee adenovirus called ChAdOx1. The vaccine is in a Phase II/III trial in England and Phase III trials in Brazil and South Africa. The project may deliver emergency vaccines by October. In June, AstraZeneca said their total manufacturing capacity stands at two billion doses.
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... acker.html

Again, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to viruses and I might be missing something obvious but everything I've read so far points me to believe that this will all be over in early 2021 :dontknow:
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:20 pm

Has anyone on this forum tested positive?

I have a feeling I'm about to be quarantined. I've been coming into the office since April, and 1 person tested positive in here 2 weeks ago, but hasn't been back in since, and another guy has symptoms (that I just had direct contact with yesterday) and is getting tested now. So I can't imagine I'll be lucky enough to avoid not getting it, so just wondering what its going to be like when I do. I guess not everyone has symptoms though, so maybe I'll get lucky and be ok.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VCC » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:03 pm

StLGooner wrote:Has anyone on this forum tested positive?

I have a feeling I'm about to be quarantined. I've been coming into the office since April, and 1 person tested positive in here 2 weeks ago, but hasn't been back in since, and another guy has symptoms (that I just had direct contact with yesterday) and is getting tested now. So I can't imagine I'll be lucky enough to avoid not getting it, so just wondering what its going to be like when I do. I guess not everyone has symptoms though, so maybe I'll get lucky and be ok.

Stay safe m8 and we hope should you become possitive it is a mild case.
There was a case here would have to trudge through the pages to find it but off memory was described as mild
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Jedi wrote:
UFGN wrote:Scientists are trying to develop a vaccine against Covid-19 coronavirus..... bare in mind, the common cold is a coronavirus or more specifically a shitload of different coronaviruses that change and mutate regularly.

Do we have a vaccine against the cold? No of course we don't. How valuable would such a vaccine be? It would be worth ££££££. Everyone would want it.

Soooo, we have to be realistic and say we might not get a vaccine at all. It seems more likely that the solution will be to develop better treatments so that the death rate is further reduced. We might have to just live with it..... also bare in mind that some viruses weaken in their potency over time, but that takes many years.

I'm pretty clueless about viruses but from what I've been reading i don't think a lot of what you said is true.

First of all, based on a google search, the common cold is 75% rhinoviruses. There are some coronaviruses that fall under the umbrella term but they don't represent the majority. Source: https://www.verywellhealth.com/why-ther ... old-770451

Secondly, all viruses mutate regularly but the changes in Covid-19 don't seem to be that dramatic and shouldn't pose a problem for a vaccine:
It may come down to the structure and biology of this particular virus. SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is covered in tiny spikes called surface proteins. Experts say that the virus is unlikely to mutate in a meaningful way, meaning the vaccines that are being developed now are likely to work in the future.
Source: https://abcnews.go.com/US/covid-19-vacc ... d=71333281

Lastly, my impression was that scientists feel pretty confident about having an effective vaccine in 2021. Here's a company claiming they'll have an emergency vaccine by October:
A vaccine in development by the British-Swedish company AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford is based on a chimpanzee adenovirus called ChAdOx1. The vaccine is in a Phase II/III trial in England and Phase III trials in Brazil and South Africa. The project may deliver emergency vaccines by October. In June, AstraZeneca said their total manufacturing capacity stands at two billion doses.
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... acker.html

Again, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to viruses and I might be missing something obvious but everything I've read so far points me to believe that this will all be over in early 2021 :dontknow:

At least two companies have reported great results with vaccines. One has completed phase two testing in which nearly all of the human subjects produced antibodies. Once phase three is complete they can get approval. The hold up will be production of enough vaccine. They have started production based on the hope it gets approved so they have a leg up on the virus.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:19 pm

I don't know why people assume that it's so straightforward to develop a vaccine.

It's not.

We'd have had a HIV vaccine by now if it were that simple. HIV is also considered as a predominantly RNA virus.

Vaccinations work in three stages:

1. Understanding the genetic sequence of a virus;
2. Developing anti-bodies to it;
3. Ensuring there are no adverse effects.

The Covid-19 research is still in its first phase. Every time scientists discover a pattern, this Covid lad changes its inherent structure.

So, no, whether you're a woke liberal, or a racist conservative, developing a vaccine has its own set of protocols.

A proper testing of RNA viruses on humans has not been successful yet.

In such a environment, you can't expect scientists to form a magical formula.

Like condoms and HIV, facial condoms are your best bet at this stage.

Social distancing = intimacy with your wife/gf/trusted people.

Washing hands/sanitizers = keeping your privates clean and infection free.

This is not HIV. But, in a metaphorical way, it's like HIV.

Be prepared if there's never a stable vaccine against this. That said, the funding on Covid-19 outweighs funding on any other research because it's such an erratic and easily transferable infection.

Covid-19 isn't a joke.

It's a respiratory ailment. And, nobody knows what it exactly is, as of now.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jedi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Angelito wrote:
The Covid-19 research is still in its first phase. Every time scientists discover a pattern, this Covid lad changes its inherent structure.

Isn't it in the 2nd stage, though? Isn't there several vaccines that have shown very promising results (having a very strong immune response)?

Also based on everything I've read it doesn't mutate dramatically...
One concern is that the virus will mutate to form “escape mutants”. These are mutated versions of the virus that the vaccine-induced antibodies won’t recognise. We see this with other viruses, such as influenza. The flu vaccine has to be altered each year to counter changes to circulating strains.

Luckily, the novel coronavirus has a lower mutation rate than influenza. And while the LSTHM study identified changes in the S gene (the gene that makes the spike) of the various virus strains, mutations in this gene were comparatively rare. Mutations in the epitope regions (the sites in the spike protein the antibodies attach to) were also infrequent.

https://theconversation.com/mutating-co ... -us-140209

Another thing that I've googled now is that Influenza is an RNA virus as well and we have a vaccine for that? What am i missing here?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:39 am

The closest virus to COVID in recent decades has been SARS - it came from an animal (bats highly likely) is a the Coronavirus family and it jumped the species barrier to human transmission - for 15 years scientists have been seeking a vaccine for SARS guess what they haven't created one yet. If finding a COVID vaccine is so easy why has science failed with SARS?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:46 am

This is beyond stupid - Public Health England record Covid as the cause of death for anyone who dies after having received a positive test. Get tested positive and you are on the PHE list, if then three months later you get run over by a bus you end up the PHE deceased list - PHE will record cause of death as COVID - honestly you couldn't make it up if you tried. https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/why-no-one-can-ever-recover-from-covid-19-in-england-a-statistical-anomaly/
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jedi » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:53 am

EliteKiller wrote:The closest virus to COVID in recent decades has been SARS - it came from an animal (bats highly likely) is a the Coronavirus family and it jumped the species barrier to human transmission - for 15 years scientists have been seeking a vaccine for SARS guess what they haven't created one yet. If finding a COVID vaccine is so easy why has science failed with SARS?

Because it was contained in like 3 months and there was absolutely no need for a vaccine?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:36 am

Jedi wrote:Because it was contained in like 3 months and there was absolutely no need for a vaccine?

Scientists knew that the next Coronavirus was inevitable (as indeed is the next one after COVID) finding an effective vaccine has been a top priority, and massive money making opportunity, for Big Pharma for two decades at least. The problem is that just like flu Coronavirus's mutate fairly rapidly so any vaccine will inevitably have a short shelf life ... it's why we have to have new flu jabs every year to tackle the new variants. Lots and lots of scientific papers on the subject https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371787/ and indeed the now discredited WHO had been funding multiple labs (including the one in Whuhan) on Coronavirus research ... it's just not that easy. Any 'vaccine' is liable to be just like the flu jab, about 60% effective and much less so on those with pre-existing conditions ... the best hope for COVID is that just like SARS it mutates to a non-life threatening version, only time will tell.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:24 pm

Angelito wrote:I don't know why people assume that it's so straightforward to develop a vaccine.

It's not.

We'd have had a HIV vaccine by now if it were that simple. HIV is also considered as a predominantly RNA virus.

Vaccinations work in three stages:

1. Understanding the genetic sequence of a virus;
2. Developing anti-bodies to it;
3. Ensuring there are no adverse effects.

So, no, whether you're a woke liberal, or a racist conservative, developing a vaccine has its own set of protocols.

A proper testing of RNA viruses on humans has not been successful yet.

In such a environment, you can't expect scientists to form a magical formula.

Like condoms and HIV, facial condoms are your best bet at this stage.

Social distancing = intimacy with your wife/gf/trusted people.

Washing hands/sanitizers = keeping your privates clean and infection free.

This is not HIV. But, in a metaphorical way, it's like HIV.

Be prepared if there's never a stable vaccine against this. That said, the funding on Covid-19 outweighs funding on any other research because it's such an erratic and easily transferable infection.

Covid-19 isn't a joke.

It's a respiratory ailment. And, nobody knows what it exactly is, as of now.

Nobody has claimed it is straightforward. But with several vaccines in human trials producing antibodies that certainly shows great promise.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Callum » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:44 pm

even the coronavirus couldn't get past our defence today

elite
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:13 am

Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Isn't it in the 2nd stage, though? Isn't there several vaccines that have shown very promising results (having a very strong immune response)?

Also based on everything I've read it doesn't mutate dramatically...
One concern is that the virus will mutate to form “escape mutants”. These are mutated versions of the virus that the vaccine-induced antibodies won’t recognise. We see this with other viruses, such as influenza. The flu vaccine has to be altered each year to counter changes to circulating strains.

Luckily, the novel coronavirus has a lower mutation rate than influenza. And while the LSTHM study identified changes in the S gene (the gene that makes the spike) of the various virus strains, mutations in this gene were comparatively rare. Mutations in the epitope regions (the sites in the spike protein the antibodies attach to) were also infrequent.

https://theconversation.com/mutating-co ... -us-140209

Another thing that I've googled now is that Influenza is an RNA virus as well and we have a vaccine for that? What am i missing here?

The typology of vaccination. :P

Bill Gates and Co. are advocating for RNA vaccination. Influenza is a virus with RNA genome but has a "basic" vaccination, which has a success rate of 40-60% depending on the year.

What gives vaccination against influenza an edge is that its been in development since the 1990s, hence, even if influenza viruses changes its structure, we have enough research to modify the contents of the vaccine to match our needs.

RNA vaccination is a different ball game. That's what's needed apparently as it's reportedly more effective. Much research is going into developing a RNA vaccine (a type of vaccine) against Covid-19.

Some of the more promising vaccines use RNA, and these platforms have many advantages, including great speed.

So what’s the catch? This method has never actually been used to produce commercial vaccines.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/1 ... nes-369064

As for the mutation, it's not as highly mutative as influenza, but the research into influenza has 50 years of literature, whereas Covid-19 is a novel virus. It's basically about making an educated guess right now.

Accto scientists, it will mutate (as all RNA viruses do), but evidence at this stage suggests a slower rate of mutation. What we don't know yet is how it will respond when it has to change its behavior. Since its a new virus, the studies have been consistent. Once you introduce an antibody or antigen against it, there is no way to know, so far, how it will mutate. That's where the danger lies.

Influenza viruses mutate, but scientists are able to "predict" it because of the preceding study into it. With Covid-19, it's hit and miss at the moment.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:56 pm

A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and triggers an immune response.

Trials involving 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and T-cells that can fight coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53469839
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:44 am

The T Cell side is massive.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee