Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:09 pm

VCC wrote:Arteta needs to remain open with the fans, his comments around the void of difference are good for all concerned. I like that it shows should he be the fall guy, it will be a transparent experience in relation to how much assistance he is given from the club.

I agree but the problem is ........... how long before he's called into the office and had a word with?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:20 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
VCC wrote:Arteta needs to remain open with the fans, his comments around the void of difference are good for all concerned. I like that it shows should he be the fall guy, it will be a transparent experience in relation to how much assistance he is given from the club.

I agree but the problem is ........... how long before he's called into the office and had a word with?

They should call him now and have a word with him about his lineups and style of play and to remind him he isn’t Wenger.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:41 pm

Özim wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

They should call him now and have a word with him about his lineups and style of play and to remind him he isn’t Wenger.

Arteta doesn't set up the team to play anything like Wenger ball.

He came into the job saying he wanted to play a Wenger / City style of play with possession in a 4-2-3-1.

But that's all changed, he's now playing a 3-4-3 and we even abandoned the possession play against Liverpool.

Wenger ball was having lots of skilled midfielders basically playing tikka takka passing in a 5 man midfield, Arteta if anything is relying on a playing out from the back using his 3 CB's.

Under Wenger our defenders never held onto the ball for so long, they just shifted it to the 5 man midfield and let them pass the ball around.

Arteta's game plan is 3-4-3 so we can play out from the back (without getting run over like we were with 2 CB's), high press from the front 3, possession & passing if we can, go forward using width provided by the Wingbacks.

Wenger never did most of that, he played a 4-5-1, didn't really bother enforcing a high press or let the defenders play out from the back any where near as much, he swamped midfield with 5 mids so they could retain possession and pass teams to death.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Özim wrote:Arteta concerned about the transfer funds, probably not use to not having endless money and not being able to buy the worlds best players if you feel like it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53425833

I don't remember him managing a side before Arsenal.

What he said is exactly what any manager/coach should say if they're managing a biggie like Arsenal.

No manager can do anything worthwhile without having some fine players.

So this passive-aggressive swipe at Arteta for Pep's adventures is petty.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:02 pm

Arteta sees the writing on the wall;

- City pulled an OJ and Pep will likely spend 150-200m next season
- Utd will spend big as always
- Chelsea have bought big players and will likely get Havertz too
- Liverpool is a question mark for now, but still have a top team

As shit as our results have been, we will slide further down without significant improvements. People are getting hyped about a bunch of kids (Saka, Saliba, Martinelli), but kids don't win anything.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

"You can win nothing with the kids"- Sir Alex changed all that sometime back.
Arsenal have a very potent forward line.
If they can get couple of good midfielders and get rid of poor performers, there's plenty of hope in near future.
As per Football.London and Mirror, Silent Stan is planning cash injection to revive our fortunes.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Angelito wrote:
Özim wrote:Arteta concerned about the transfer funds, probably not use to not having endless money and not being able to buy the worlds best players if you feel like it.

What he said is exactly what any manager/coach should say if they're managing a biggie like Arsenal.

No but he put out the cones at a club that spends megabucks on any player they want to buy!

I don’t trust him with money anyhow, this is the same guy that rates Luiz, Mustafi and Xhaka and doesn’t play Martinelli and Torreira much.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:21 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Özim wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Arteta doesn't set up the team to play anything like Wenger ball.

He came into the job saying he wanted to play a Wenger / City style of play with possession in a 4-2-3-1.

But that's all changed, he's now playing a 3-4-3 and we even abandoned the possession play against Liverpool.

Wenger ball was having lots of skilled midfielders basically playing tikka takka passing in a 5 man midfield, Arteta if anything is relying on a playing out from the back using his 3 CB's.

Under Wenger our defenders never held onto the ball for so long, they just shifted it to the 5 man midfield and let them pass the ball around.

Arteta's game plan is 3-4-3 so we can play out from the back (without getting run over like we were with 2 CB's), high press from the front 3, possession & passing if we can, go forward using width provided by the Wingbacks.

Wenger never did most of that, he played a 4-5-1, didn't really bother enforcing a high press or let the defenders play out from the back any where near as much, he swamped midfield with 5 mids so they could retain possession and pass teams to death.

Against Liverpool we barely had the ball as they were too good with it, we have however been playing that slow pass pass football under Arteta, yes he wants us to play out from the back, but then Wenger just wanted players who can pass so it’s not so different. As for the press it’s not a regular thing, it seems to come and go. Either way I don’t rate his brand of football, it’s pretty boring, yesterdays result was really down to luck, Liverpool no longer having the same level of motivation to win and him having picked the backup players because he’s saving his favourites for the FA cup, the only important game we had left which meant something, the North London derby we lost.

Moreover I see a lot of traits in Arteta that Wenger had, he has the same blond spot when it comes to sub standard players for a start.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Jedi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:28 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:But that's all changed, he's now playing a 3-4-3 and we even abandoned the possession play against Liverpool.

To be fair, Arteta admitted in the post-match conference that they didn't plan to sit back and abandon possession. They simply got dominated by Liverpool.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:31 pm

Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:But that's all changed, he's now playing a 3-4-3 and we even abandoned the possession play against Liverpool.

To be fair, Arteta admitted in the post-match conference that they didn't plan to sit back and abandon possession. They simply got dominated by Liverpool.

Yes spot on, Liverpool we’re far too good, they really schooled us, on another day they’d have won comfortably, if they had something to play for they would have too.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:08 pm

But 'Pool played their best eleven still lost. Arteta knows his limitations and thus trying to set up the team as needed. He knows his midfielders are not up to scratch, and he doesn't have many options either, so he plays 3-4-3 to stifle the attack. Going toe to toe with a team in top form would be suicidal, so he adopts different tactics to surprise Klopp. Press when least expected, and pounce on the mistakes.
'Pool usually presses hard and gets away by instilling fear into opponents, here , they got a taste of their own medicine, albeit in different proportion.
Arteta also sees potential in players that , us, laymen ignore. Everybody thought Reiss Nelson is rubbish, he forced mistakes on the very best defender and also scored an excellent goal w/the calm and composure of seasoned campaigner.
I see in Arteta a thinking man who under benign circumstances will do a pretty good job. He is also not averse to taking calculated risks. Something to look forward to the next season.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:43 pm

ag6789 wrote:But 'Pool played their best eleven still lost. Arteta knows his limitations and thus trying to set up the team as needed. He knows his midfielders are not up to scratch, and he doesn't have many options either, so he plays 3-4-3 to stifle the attack. Going toe to toe with a team in top form would be suicidal, so he adopts different tactics to surprise Klopp. Press when least expected, and pounce on the mistakes.
'Pool usually presses hard and gets away by instilling fear into opponents, here , they got a taste of their own medicine, albeit in different proportion.
Arteta also sees potential in players that , us, laymen ignore. Everybody thought Reiss Nelson is rubbish, he forced mistakes on the very best defender and also scored an excellent goal w/the calm and composure of seasoned campaigner.
I see in Arteta a thinking man who under benign circumstances will do a pretty good job. He is also not averse to taking calculated risks. Something to look forward to the next season.

Make no mistake, this was a lucky result against a team who totally dominated but miss their chances, a team who have won the title and are no longer at full intensity, VVD has looked shaky in the last few games, clearly he’s lost his focus which is understandable but they still utterly dominated us.

Whilst it’s a nice result (albeit meaningless) the only game that meant anything because of it being a North London Derby was the Spurs game and we lost that.

I don’t think it was anything amazing by Artera, it was circumstances, luck and a team who have nothing left to play for.

On top of that a number of players that featured are players Arteta doesn’t fancy that only played as the guys he did were rested for the FA cup.

If Liverpool we’re still playing for the title they would have put us to the sword and won this comfortably.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:01 pm

I thought the Derby loss was unlucky for us
Luck is part of the game.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 pm

ag6789 wrote:I thought the Derby loss was unlucky for us
Luck is part of the game.

Yes but there’s luck and luck.

Liverpool came to our place and had 24 shots to our 3 and 13 corners to our 2, they completely dominated us. The spurs game was now where near that clear cut.

As I said if Liverpool were still playing for the title they would have beaten us comfortably, Van Dijk has been a completely different player in the last few games for example.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:16 am

Özim wrote:
Angelito wrote:

No but he put out the cones at a club that spends megabucks on any player they want to buy!

I don’t trust him with money anyhow, this is the same guy that rates Luiz, Mustafi and Xhaka and doesn’t play Martinelli and Torreira much.

How is it his fault that he was Pep's assistant at a club where winning matters?

Arteta hasn't even been here for a season. So, we don't know who he rates or who he doesn't. He hasn't had a transfer window where he could advise the club on the types of players he'd like here.

It irks me that he didn't play Martinelli before that injury, or the way we're basically playing Xhakaball right now.

That said, it's too early to put a definitive stamp on his style and caliber. If we're as bad as we are now come the end of next season, we need to review our options.

I'm excited to see what he does next season. Perhaps I'm the only one, but if we get our recruitment right, top-4 isn't as difficult as people claim it is.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk