Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Losmeister » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:50 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:He needs to get our attack to amp up more, wasting too much time letting the CB's hold the ball but then not enough potency in attack.

He has Auba, Laca and Pepe ffs, how can we not be dominating more?

If it wasn't for Laca's great goal we'd of been woeful today, we sleep walked into a defeat against a pretty poor Spurs team trialing a 4-4-2 for the first time and we still didn't finish them.

b/c Laca and Pepe arent producing anywhere close to whatthey did in ligue 1.
Laca had 27,21, and 28 in his last 3 years.
Pepe had 13 and 22

Also, for their height- Auba and Pepe provide a near zero threat for a headed goal, whcih goes for every other single player in the team.

and the midfield produces maybe 3-5 good forward passes per game.
Bellends crosses suck.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:30 pm

With league two grade midfield and idiots like Luiz and Musti, you can't win big games . Arteta shouldn't have played an open game with garbage defense and midfield. Should have played like the Wolves game. Go toe to toe. Under estimated Mou and he got one across us again. Deplorable!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Losmeister » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:26 pm

also... iw onder what lineups we would be seeing if holding martinelli and mari were not injured...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:28 pm

Losmeister wrote:also... iw onder what lineups we would be seeing if holding martinelli and mari were not injured...

Arteta had banished Martinelli from even appearing as a sub BEFORE he was injured.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Losmeister wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:He needs to get our attack to amp up more, wasting too much time letting the CB's hold the ball but then not enough potency in attack.

He has Auba, Laca and Pepe ffs, how can we not be dominating more?

If it wasn't for Laca's great goal we'd of been woeful today, we sleep walked into a defeat against a pretty poor Spurs team trialing a 4-4-2 for the first time and we still didn't finish them.

b/c Laca and Pepe arent producing anywhere close to whatthey did in ligue 1.
Laca had 27,21, and 28 in his last 3 years.
Pepe had 13 and 22

Also, for their height- Auba and Pepe provide a near zero threat for a headed goal, whcih goes for every other single player in the team.

and the midfield produces maybe 3-5 good forward passes per game.
Bellends crosses suck.

French Ligue 1 is the equivalent of the 1st of 2nd division here.
Neither Laca or Pepe ever proved themselves at the top level before we shelled out 135 million for them.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:57 pm

Talked a lot of wenger type bs in the press conference stuff about dominating the game and being pleased with the performance.

Worst bit was:

Still, we came back in the second half and we were even better, we were even more dominant still

Not sure what second half he was watching lol
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Tony Adams wrote:Talked a lot of wenger type bs in the press conference stuff about dominating the game and being pleased with the performance.

Worst bit was:

Still, we came back in the second half and we were even better, we were even more dominant still

Not sure what second half he was watching lol

I'm going to keep my eye on both Arteta and Edu in the window, I want to see a priority to buy CB's and move on these clowns.

If we start next season with this back 3 or 2/3 of them still starting, I want both Edu and Arteta fired.

I know Arteta doesn't make the final decision but if he presses Edu enough and make it clear he wants a CB, Edu can't surely ignore that.

If Arteta doesn't have the balls to make Edu give him a CB then we need a manager who can make our recruitment team listen.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby gamechannel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 am

I dont know what people are talking about when they say we played well and created in attack. All our attempts came from long passes or shots from difficult angles with very little penetration. We didn't create easy chances. We need to play through the middle and start passing in the box. Cant just keep relying on chances off long balls, long range shots and/or crosses. Very stagnant offense. I know, defense has been issue for a long time but why can't we play a free flowing attacking style is beyond me.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:33 am

gamechannel wrote:I dont know what people are talking about when they say we played well and created in attack. All our attempts came from long passes or shots from difficult angles with very little penetration. We didn't create easy chances. We need to play through the middle and start passing in the box. Cant just keep relying on chances off long balls, long range shots and/or crosses. Very stagnant offense. I know, defense has been issue for a long time but why can't we play a free flowing attacking style is beyond me.

Lloris made just one decent save in 90 minutes .... we had just 4 shots on target .... we may have dominated possession but we created almost nothing against a team that allows 15 shots per game average. Spurs played a 9 man defence and we failed to break it down, not sure what the problem is maybe our attack having almost no heading ability means defenders can focus on the ground game, however Man City are even shorter and they score bundles? The lack of creativity between the front three? the lack of crosses? the lack of movement? When Arteta says we dominated he has the stats to back him up but in reality the Spurs back five (missing Foyth, Dier and Tanganga) had a pretty easy day, and that's simply not good enough.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:40 am

EliteKiller wrote:
gamechannel wrote:I dont know what people are talking about when they say we played well and created in attack. All our attempts came from long passes or shots from difficult angles with very little penetration. We didn't create easy chances. We need to play through the middle and start passing in the box. Cant just keep relying on chances off long balls, long range shots and/or crosses. Very stagnant offense. I know, defense has been issue for a long time but why can't we play a free flowing attacking style is beyond me.

Lloris made just one decent save in 90 minutes .... we had just 4 shots on target .... we may have dominated possession but we created almost nothing against a team that allows 15 shots per game average. Spurs played a 9 man defence and we failed to break it down, not sure what the problem is maybe our attack having almost no heading ability means defenders can focus on the ground game, however Man City are even shorter and they score bundles? The lack of creativity between the front three? the lack of crosses? the lack of movement? When Arteta says we dominated he has the stats to back him up but in reality the Spurs back five (missing Foyth, Dier and Tanganga) had a pretty easy day, and that's simply not good enough.
Its the Wengerball style of play. Opponents can just sit back and know we'll pass it around in our own half for 90 mins. Then when the ball is being passed around our defence put a bit of pressure on and there is a mistake in them and you can nick a goal.

Again our goal came from a piece of magic (from Laca) rather than a good passage of play. Most of our goals since the restart have come from individual brilliance or opponents' mistakes rather than quality tactics/play. The sideways (or backwards) passing is killing our creativity.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:50 am

I really hope Pep calls Arteta and teaches him a thing or two about subs or reading a game.

After the Liverpool game, I wouldn't mind if Klopp tutored Arteta.

P.S. The tweet doesn't simply factor in Arteta's time here obviously.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Goonerz » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:07 am

I think Arteta needs a ball carrying attacking midfielder. Play Cabellos in Xhaka’s position and buy someone in the mould of Vieira, Wilshere, santi, Cesc or Rosicky etc. Someone that can carry that ball to the front 3.
We are a bit static and keep playing sideways / always doing back passes.
The amount of time that Kolasinac kept passing the ball back was so infuriating. He get the ball, looked or moved ahead a bit then kept running back with the ball.
Same with Tierney. They just kept doing sideways or back passes
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:39 am

What I saw was possession football from the back and dinosaur-slow build up play. then in the blink of an eye a Spurs counter attack and a goal threat. Its like watching the same Wenger shit all over again. Nobody wants to see that shite. We don't have the players to make it work, find a solution that suits the players we have FFS, this one-dimensional bullshit is what put me off football, if Arteta is bringing it back then, I'm oot.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:49 am

I get that you have a way you want to play but without the right personnel it won't work. That should be common f***ing sense, why is it so difficult for successive managers to grasp !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:18 am

Going back to my hypothesis: the problem is his inability to read the game efficiently, his failure to use subs effectively.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk