Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby ag6789 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:57 pm

But we're past that period though. We've bought big and established players like Ozil, Sanchez, Auba, Laca, and even a risky Pepe at 72mil, since then. At that time, 2010-2012 these buys were unthinkable.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:34 pm

I don't even think at this point its about prices of players, its more like Arteta has a plan and is he getting the players that will fit what he wants?

If its Edu running around making those decisions, his ideas are likely different to Arteta.

I noticed he went to a back 5 or 3-4-3 against Southampton, I'm starting to think as I did when Emery used it that this team plays better that way.
We used it in games like Inter Milan etc and always seemed to get better results with it.

I'd prefer Arteta stopped trying to replicate an over funded City and started to find a new Arsenal way that fits our players and our budget, Emery was on to something in that first season, we had some good results that took us to reaching point of 4th and the EL Semi final, he just collapsed after that and the man tinkered too much under pressure.

Arteta needs to hurry up and find his way, not Peps.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:32 pm

ag6789 wrote:But we're past that period though. We've bought big and established players like Ozil, Sanchez, Auba, Laca, and even a risky Pepe at 72mil, since then. At that time, 2010-2012 these buys were unthinkable.

This. We sold players because we had to (or so we were told). We dont have to now so we wont.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:40 pm

ag6789 wrote:But we're past that period though. We've bought big and established players like Ozil, Sanchez, Auba, Laca, and even a risky Pepe at 72mil, since then. At that time, 2010-2012 these buys were unthinkable.

OK, so we weren't broke exactly, but before 2011 or so every penny of the net spend surplus went towards paying off the stadium. The club was profitable then thanks to CL football and a reasonable wage bill, but the self sustaining model meant good players were replaced with cheap buys that only sometimes came good.

We're in the opposite situation now, where the stadium is fully paid off, but we're going into Year 4 without CL and have a massive wage bill that's totally misaligned to our league position. We booked a loss of £24m last year after years of profitability. That plus the impact of covid means we will need to sell and probably sell a lot to reduce our wage bill.

And we're much worse at selling players than we used to be. Numerous players left on a free, including our biggest asset in recent years, Alexis. Ramsey, Koscielny, and soon Mhiki, Ozil and Luiz will also go for £0 as well. PEA and Saka could leave for nothing as well.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Mikhi might fetch a little money, but Ozil is in loss column already. Yes, if the rest also departs for nothing it'll be Armageddon at AFC.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 pm

theHotHead wrote:

This. We sold players because we had to (or so we were told). We dont have to now so we wont.

To be sustainable we need to do a Dortmund minus the profit taking. No more has beens that can't make it at Barca or RM.

We have a good core of young players like Pepe, Saka, Martinelli, Terney, Hector (sort of), Smith Rowe, Leno, etc who if stay might well be a golden or at least silver generation to build on. If we keep developing players, nick some from other clubs and let Arteta establish the culture he demands I can see us getting back into the top tier as Liverpool did at some point.

The virus will ensure that transfer fees are not going to keep rising as they have at least for now. The China league is done for. Most smaller clubs will be lucky to survive so a smart director of football will have plenty of opportunity to scavenge some great young talent cheap. I hope Edu is that guy.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:35 pm

Does anyone think Arteta should carry on with the 3-4-3 or go back to the 4-2-3-1?

What I saw against Sheffield is just like with Emery, we played better with the 3-4-3, we beat Inter Millan with 3-4-3.

Like it or hate it, I honestly would of liked us to try something like Leicesters 4-1-4-1 but if that's not in Arteta's mind and he's basically picking off from where Emery left off then I've seen enough evidence especially in Emery's reign that 3-4-3 works better with these players than 4-2-3-1.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 am

If this whole Partey bs is true, I can see Arteta fielding a fluid 4-3-3 next season with:

Leno
Soares - Saliba - Mari - Tierney
Partey - Xhaka - Saka
Pepe - Nketiah* - Martinelli

* If Auba leaves.

If Auba stays, Martinelli false 9, lads.

:1990_dancing.gif:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:02 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Does anyone think Arteta should carry on with the 3-4-3 or go back to the 4-2-3-1?

What I saw against Sheffield is just like with Emery, we played better with the 3-4-3, we beat Inter Millan with 3-4-3.

Like it or hate it, I honestly would of liked us to try something like Leicesters 4-1-4-1 but if that's not in Arteta's mind and he's basically picking off from where Emery left off then I've seen enough evidence especially in Emery's reign that 3-4-3 works better with these players than 4-2-3-1.

4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2, thats what I want to see.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:27 am

Angelito wrote:If this whole Partey bs is true, I can see Arteta fielding a fluid 4-3-3 next season with:

Leno
Partey - Xhaka - Saka

* If Auba leaves.

I cannot :1990_dancing.gif: for any future Arsenal team that has Xhaka in it.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:32 am

Against Norwich I'd go with:

Martinez

Mustafi........ Holding

Bellerin........................................Tierney

........Ceballos.......Xhaka

Pepe........Nketiah..........Aubameyang.........Saka
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Jedi » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:04 pm

Angelito wrote:If this whole Partey bs is true, I can see Arteta fielding a fluid 4-3-3 next season with:

Leno
Partey - Xhaka - Saka

* If Auba leaves.

Do you really think Arteta sees Soares as a starter?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Angelito » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:04 pm

Jedi wrote:

Leno
Partey - Xhaka - Saka

* If Auba leaves.

Do you really think Arteta sees Soares as a starter?

Depends if Bellerin continues to perform like he's a player who's past his prime, or molds his game.

I love me some Bella, but I have no idea why he already looks like he's past his prime.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:00 pm

Well I think that answers that.

3-4-3 it is.

That's the first time since the restart that we've actually played decent football.

It also solves the Auba playing too wide issue as he's now playing LWF instead of LW as Tierney's playing wide.

Also is helping our CB's play out from the back as there's 3 of them there now with two Wing back outlets on top of that.

Happy that Arteta has spotted the improvement against Sheffield and run with it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:03 pm

great win

well done
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext