Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Which one did you get?

Pfizer-BioNTech
32%
Moderna
15%
Janssen (J&J)
6%
Oxford-AstraZeneca
29%
Sinopharm/Sinovac
No votes
Sputnik-V
No votes
Not vaccinated yet
18%

Total votes : 34

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed May 20, 2020 11:28 am

Ach wrote:So now it's a crisis when I want something out of it but in other threads, it's "only 6 people got infected out of 750, what crisis?"

Anyway I wasn't being serious. Time off would be nice and I'll still probably get it whether crisis is over or not cos we aren't opening til July anyway.

Of course it's a crisis. It's nowhere near as bad as it was though. It seems you want it back to that stage so you can live off us.

We've hit the point where our hospital deaths are lower than average for this time of year.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Wed May 20, 2020 11:38 am

Aren't you one of the guys who want football back just cos you're bored and want entertainment? Even though clubs are infected left, right and centre?

I just want time off for a period of time I haven't had in years. im in furlough. Same as millions of others. I guess we're all living off others. I don't want this to continue. I said I want lockdown to continue and there's nothing wrong with that cos I want it to be safe for me and my family. I have vulnerable parents who haven't been outside for weeks and won't be going out.. you and yours might be immortal and think it's all fine and dandy but not all of us have that luxury
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 am

I don't even care if football comes back or not. I just don't agree with reasons I read to not have it back. I work for the NHS, I'm not 'bored' and in need of entertainment. Infected left right and centre? its under 1% which would be massively lower than the rest of the country if everyone had been tested.

My family is far from immortal. People know about my sisters previous condition and family from this very forum she owns. She's still out there protecting lives. My step dad is unable to have his latest operation and he's been attacked by cancer over and over for the last 30 years.

Its getting to the point when we are gonna cause worst harm to people and kill them that way.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pm

Well then, hopefully everything is over asap and we can all go back to the new normal life we will have.

It's getting better but I don't think it's at the level where I feel it's safe. It only takes one person to be an idiot and infect others.

My wife is in Pakistan, I finally got her Visa application sorted and we had finished the final interviews and were waiting on the answer when all this began and it's been put on hold. I want lockdown to be over so she can come over and we can have a life together but not whilst it's not safe. Hundreds are still dying. Maybe not as many as before but it's a lot safer in Pakistan atm than it is here.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StockGooner » Wed May 20, 2020 12:30 pm

@ Yorky, I share some of your sentiments, but surely hospital deaths are lower than average because people are not going to hospital becuase they can't, or won't? It seems a dangerous statistic to throw out. Even though I would say I am more in your camp of not continuing to furlough.

I'm surprised Ach's employer's have just done it now and not months ago, but in some ways I am glad that they have because at least they have fought to keep staff on, but then if I were Ach does that make me feel valued? Or unsafe? Sorry Ach don't know what you do and not trying to speak for you there.

I think the 80% should have been lowered by now, because some firms are using it to keep people on with no goal of a job at the end. Additonally, there is only one place the majority of funds to pay for it can come from. But I think the Gov't are trying to delay when people (And it will happen) are made redundant. Some were done immediately, some will be done end of July, some will be done October. It gives the economy chance ot recover and by the time May redundancies have jobs in July, the July redundancies are fighting 1m people instead of 2m people (Fgiures just examples, not actuals)
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed May 20, 2020 12:38 pm

StockGooner wrote:@ Yorky, I share some of your sentiments, but surely hospital deaths are lower than average because people are not going to hospital becuase they can't, or won't? It seems a dangerous statistic to throw out. Even though I would say I am more in your camp of not continuing to furlough.

I'm surprised Ach's employer's have just done it now and not months ago, but in some ways I am glad that they have because at least they have fought to keep staff on, but then if I were Ach does that make me feel valued? Or unsafe? Sorry Ach don't know what you do and not trying to speak for you there.

I think the 80% should have been lowered by now, because some firms are using it to keep people on with no goal of a job at the end. Additonally, there is only one place the majority of funds to pay for it can come from. But I think the Gov't are trying to delay when people (And it will happen) are made redundant. Some were done immediately, some will be done end of July, some will be done October. It gives the economy chance ot recover and by the time May redundancies have jobs in July, the July redundancies are fighting 1m people instead of 2m people (Fgiures just examples, not actuals)

Yes you're correct about the hospital deaths. The care home deaths are still higher than usual and the balance seems to be somewhere between there rather than homes if I remember rightly.

I don't think its a more dangerous statistic to put out there than the ones the government use every day. Deaths in England have now been under 200 a day since the 8th of May and possibly under 150 from the 13th depending on any more delays (which don't seem to have more than a 5 day lag over the last week). The problem is we only seem to be shown the data on deaths which include deaths up to 2 months ago at times.

If the government want people to not be scared of the outside they need to start showing people the data on the deaths by actual date.

EDIT: Just to add; my own personal thoughts is absolutely millions have already been infected in the UK. Easily 10million and quite possibly as dramatic as over 20mill but obviously I don't have evidence or facts for this.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Wed May 20, 2020 2:37 pm

Ach wrote:Well then, hopefully everything is over asap and we can all go back to the new normal life we will have.

It's getting better but I don't think it's at the level where I feel it's safe. It only takes one person to be an idiot and infect others.

My wife is in Pakistan, I finally got her Visa application sorted and we had finished the final interviews and were waiting on the answer when all this began and it's been put on hold. I want lockdown to be over so she can come over and we can have a life together but not whilst it's not safe. Hundreds are still dying. Maybe not as many as before but
it's a lot safer in Pakistan atm than it is here.

You think so? I was reading that Pakistan has decided the shutdown is unsustainable there and is being lifted based on economics and unrest . If there will be a massive resurgence it should logically be in densely populated nations such as Pakistan or India. Or China?
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Wed May 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:I don't even care if football comes back or not. I just don't agree with reasons I read to not have it back. I work for the NHS, I'm not 'bored' and in need of entertainment. Infected left right and centre? its under 1% which would be massively lower than the rest of the country if everyone had been tested.

My family is far from immortal. People know about my sisters previous condition and family from this very forum she owns. She's still out there protecting lives. My step dad is unable to have his latest operation and he's been attacked by cancer over and over for the last 30 years.

Its getting to the point when we are gonna cause worst harm to people and kill them that way.

Firstly, as an NHS provider thanks man. Your first hand insight is very valuable to guy like me who has long been skeptical of what I am being told by the media, the government and those who tend to depend on that information (verified or not) as the basis of their thinking.

A few months back I posted (parroted to be fair as it was my Doctor bro in Law who brought it up very early to me) something about the cure possibly being worse than the disease if we are not careful and that I feel that has proven to be correct on many levels. A complete shutdown when the virus was an unknown quantity was justified IMO. But there were many voices of reason who were warning of unintended consequences such as long term economic effects on businesses, mental illness, reversal of global anti poverty measures, massive tax revenue deficits, and as you point out collateral damage to people with other deadly conditions such as cancer or heart conditions who have died due to lack of care. Here in the US hospitals were empty or closed and people died. Businesses and jobs were lost in areas with no cases for hundreds of miles. When the general public is in a tizzy, re-enforced by repetitive single lane media reporting combined with massive condemnation of anyone holding a differing view...well then policy becomes opinion driven and thus political.

But now we have examples of what works in different situations and places. We know the risk to healthy folks in their prime is extremely low, despite the occasional outlier example of a 20 something dieing which is tragic for the person's family but statistically unremarkable. That is science if we accept it or not. Very little of this public response has been scientific nor coordinated...from total shutdowns to Brazil's cavalier and disastrous policies.

There are lessons to be learned and relearned as history does repeat...take what you read with a grain of salt especially when the message is that we are all going to die if we do not comply no matter the demand. Hyperbole works because many folks fail to see it for it is. Simplistic emotional reactions such as claiming the stock market is the paramount incentive of policy when it simply reflects sentiment of investors, either-or binary arguments such as 'stay inside or die' choices should be red flags to consumers of information.

Covid while being an unknown, but becoming far more a known each day will be a memory such as smallpox soon. The lessons learned will be invaluable going forward only if we as a society take heed of those lessons...or even be willing to acknowledge the lessons. I mean beyond the medical side of it, as in taking a step back and thinking it all through as in a cost benefit analysis, evaluating the information we relied on. I await after action reports that ignore the politics and don't care whose ox is gored. (I will not be holding my breath on that!) If we want to really understand the truth then we need to seek the truth and be willing to accept it. To do that we need diversity of thought. Something that was once treasured.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed May 20, 2020 5:30 pm

To add more to what we are saying it's estimated that an additional 4800 people with cancer will die due to a 3 month delay in treatment of 95000 patients.

Has anyone noticed the government have stopped publishing how many people have been tested?

On another note I got an email the other day to be involved in the contact tracing app, nothing major and mainly to provide feedback in testing. Heard nothing since so I'm not expecting that any time soon if they don't get sorted out.

EDIT: Just after I posted they actually provided how many people were tested. 60744. They talk like they're sorting more tests and it gets lower not higher. Not one day have we tested 100,000 people.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Looks like the people have spoken and their willing to go herd immunity now summer has hit.

The beaches today were packed, people I know who locked themselves up for 2 months exclusively are now starting to go out and about.

I suppose the one thing is if we do get a second spike we have the hospital space and equipment now so can aid more people rather than like before where the NHS was un-prepared.

At the height of the pandemic those new hospitals lay empty ffs.

I have to admit, I'm at the tale end of putting up with the lockdown, I've barely left the house since March 24th and yet everyone else is out meeting up, sunning it up.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Wed May 20, 2020 10:22 pm

It was the worst lockdown in the history of lockdowns. Government are a joke. Police can do nothing. Should've followed the Italians. If you're caught outside then you get jailed
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby dc16 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:41 am

It feel like it is done round here. Not so much an increase in a huge number of people being out and about but just an increase in people mingling and interacting with each other, not always social-distancing.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:57 am

No new cases reported in London yesterday.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby dc16 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:08 am

That's great news.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu May 21, 2020 10:56 am

Ach wrote:It was the worst lockdown in the history of lockdowns. Government are a joke. Police can do nothing. Should've followed the Italians. If you're caught outside then you get jailed

I agree with you here.

It took too long to lock down and then when they did it wasn't a proper lockdown either. Things could of been much less worse even though we seem to be getting towards the end now. I don't think we needed to be jailing people but I think the reason for the type of lockdown (and all the vague government messages in the last few months) we had is cause Boris still wanted his herd immunity plan without the blame for the deaths.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee