What's with the adulation of George Graham?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: What's with the adulation of George Graham?

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 15, 2020 11:14 pm

NovaGB wrote:
Ach wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:A real European cup is worth an infinite amount of charity cups.

Yup

Can't believe fairweathers are mocking our CWC win to praise Wenger. Ridiculous.

It was a massive trophy when we won it.

Was it f**k, it was scrapped because it was the 3rd best and not needed, like I said it was nice to have it, but id rather the Wenger years.

Absolute rubbish!! I remember the days of the 3 European trophies vividly and they were all big nights and big trophies. Winning the Cup Winners Cup was on a par with anything else big we won. European football is devalued now.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby NovaGB » Fri May 15, 2020 11:25 pm

theHotHead wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
Ach wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:A real European cup is worth an infinite amount of charity cups.

Yup

Can't believe fairweathers are mocking our CWC win to praise Wenger. Ridiculous.

It was a massive trophy when we won it.

Was it f**k, it was scrapped because it was the 3rd best and not needed, like I said it was nice to have it, but id rather the Wenger years.

Absolute rubbish!! I remember the days of the 3 European trophies vividly and they were all big nights and big trophies. Winning the Cup Winners Cup was on a par with anything else big we won. European football is devalued now.

When it was just the European Cup and the Cup Winners cup it was more prestigious, when we won it when i was 14, it was classed as the third tier Euro title, thats why they merged it into the UEFA Cup and not the other way round, maybe i was a bit harsh on it, but it is what it is, it was still nice to win.

Mr. Wenger is not that popular with some of you, i get that, but you can't ignore that he won more and broke more records in his first 6 years at the club that Graham the spud won in his entire career with anybody.

I mean you can't forgive Wenger for out staying his prime despite giving us the most success in our history, but you love George despite the fact he did stupid shit that got him sacked then became a spud, crazy.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 15, 2020 11:34 pm

Yes Graham played boring football, but that was the era, you cannot knock him for that. I think many of us were glad for the bung scandal because we turned stale - but the club were never going to get rid of him otherwise.

Wenger inherited a defence of great players but demotivated, he invigorated the club and created sexy football in a league where people said you can't play like that and win. It was a remarkable achievement. There is no way you can knock Graham's achievements though and lets not forget, was it 18 goals conceded and one lost game in the 90/91 season. We scored plenty of goals in the first half of Graham's reign.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:35 pm

The fact you had to win a domestic cup to get in makes it more exclusive than the uefa cup imo.

Should bring it back and scrap the uefa cup
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby NovaGB » Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:The fact you had to win a domestic cup to get in makes it more exclusive than the uefa cup imo.

Yeah i suppose i'm being a bit harsh on it, will concede that.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby NovaGB » Fri May 15, 2020 11:40 pm

Heres a question, what would have happened if we got Fergie? we were favourites to get him when he was at Aberdeen a season before he took over at United and they were saying Graham was going to be his number 2.

Do you think he would have had the same success with us?
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Fri May 15, 2020 11:48 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:The fact you had to win a domestic cup to get in makes it more exclusive than the uefa cup imo.

Yup pretty much what I said.

94 CWC win was awesome. 95 final defeat was the worst I've ever felt after an Arsenal defeat, even now 25 years later.

The 95 semi final win v sampdoria was the best win I've seen. Only one I've rund around the house going mad he never throwing up later on that night.

CWC needs to come home once more.

But til it does, hopefully we get in the europa and win that
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby NovaGB » Sat May 16, 2020 12:00 am

The buzz from Stefan Schwarz's free kick and the Seaman penalty saves was great, then Nayim's goal was a killer, but losing the way we did to Barca after leading for 76 minutes in the Champions League final was worse for me.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Sat May 16, 2020 12:52 am

NovaGB wrote:Heres a question, what would have happened if we got Fergie? we were favourites to get him when he was at Aberdeen a season before he took over at United and they were saying Graham was going to be his number 2.

Great manager but spent like a drunk sailor in his last decade. Wouldn’t have been able to do that at Arsenal.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby NovaGB » Sat May 16, 2020 3:03 am

swipe right wrote:
NovaGB wrote:Heres a question, what would have happened if we got Fergie? we were favourites to get him when he was at Aberdeen a season before he took over at United and they were saying Graham was going to be his number 2.

Great manager but spent like a drunk sailor in his last decade. Wouldn’t have been able to do that at Arsenal.

That's what I thought
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Sat May 16, 2020 3:06 am

To Fergie’s credit he always evolved. He never stayed hostage to his ideology or the past. His ability to rebuild championship winning teams over three decades was phenomenal. I think Fergie at his prime would take the pants off Guardiola and Klopp.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 16, 2020 7:22 am

theHotHead wrote:Yes Graham played boring football, but that was the era, you cannot knock him for that. I think many of us were glad for the bung scandal because we turned stale - but the club were never going to get rid of him otherwise.

Agreed but if there were football forums back then i'd have probably been in the 'Graham in' brigade lol
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Sat May 16, 2020 9:28 am

Fact is AW never won anything in Europe with the best club team on the planet at on stage!!!!!!
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 16, 2020 12:07 pm

theHotHead wrote:Yes Graham played boring football, but that was the era, you cannot knock him for that. I think many of us were glad for the bung scandal because we turned stale - but the club were never going to get rid of him otherwise.

Wenger inherited a defence of great players but demotivated, he invigorated the club and created sexy football in a league where people said you can't play like that and win. It was a remarkable achievement. There is no way you can knock Graham's achievements though and lets not forget, was it 18 goals conceded and one lost game in the 90/91 season. We scored plenty of goals in the first half of Graham's reign.

I don't think Graham played boring football at all.

Merson, Davis, Thomas, Rocky, Limpar were all in the 90-91 squad where we won the league by 7 points, scored 74 goals, only lost once (to a flukey Chelsea goal) and only conceded 18. a +56 goal difference.

Our defence was so good that we kept 24 clean sheets - and so other teams just found it very difficult to score against us. The matches might have been considered boring for opposing fans because they barely got a sniff at our goal all season.

Then, of course, Grahams first title. THE most exciting culmination to a season in history.

I think, generally nder Graham our football going forward, especially when Wright arrived, was excellent and our defence was simply sublime.
I woudl take Graham's brand of football over Wengers any day.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 16, 2020 12:13 pm

VCC wrote:Fact is AW never won anything in Europe with the best club team on the planet at on stage!!!!!!

That's because Wenger did not have the first clue about defending. He knew nothing about how to set a team up, how to coach - zilch - when it came to the defensive side of the game.
He was always a five a side manager who go t very lucky with the team he inherited. Graham's defence and Bergkamp (signed by Rioch) gave Wenger a platform to build upon, but when that platform was gone, Wenger's team fell apart.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk