Wenger Inn...

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Wenger In

Postby swipe right » Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 am

Two years to the day since Wenger was shown the door.

What’s gotten better:
Nothing

What’s gotten worse:
League position
European performance
Style of play
Player signings
Player re-signings

Was it worth it?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Thu May 14, 2020 10:39 am

Yes

Let it go. He was finished and we all said it would take time to fix he wrongs he did. Time or the best manager in the world. We didn't get that so time it is. With Arteta in charge, it'll take even longer as he's diabolically shit. But I'm ever optimistic he's gone by Xmas.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Thu May 14, 2020 12:34 pm

Bollocks!
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 14, 2020 12:54 pm

swipe right wrote:Two years to the day since Wenger was shown the door.

What’s gotten better:
Nothing

What’s gotten worse:
League position
European performance
Style of play
Player signings
Player re-signings

Was it worth it?

Yes it was definitely worth it, sometimes the medicine tastes nasty.

It goes to show how much Wenger screwed up the club, in the first instance, the second mistake was the appointment of Emery, we literally lost a year and a half because of that.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Unfortunately out of the few mangers worse than wenger we could have got we did, big mess to clear, is arteta up to it its to early to decide.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby ag6789 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:05 pm

Stupid thing to say he was shit or screwed the club, etc, etc, He has made Arsenal a global brand and given us the most successful period in our history.
But, it was time for him to leave , because time and tide waits for none and he was getting on in years.
Transitions are difficult and we were duped by a greasy charlatan for year and half and regressed a bit. Hopefully, Arteta along with Edu will find a path forward, if not, the hunt for the right combination will continue....like ManU and many others.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Thu May 14, 2020 3:36 pm

swipe right wrote:Two years to the day since Wenger was shown the door.

What’s gotten better:
Nothing

What’s gotten worse:
League position
European performance
Style of play
Player signings
Player re-signings

Was it worth it?

Wenger had to go.

If I were Wenger, I'd have left regardless of the situation at Arsenal after that collapse in 10/11. Not because Wenger wasn't good enough. For the simple reason that Wenger shielding the board did more harm than good. Hindsight of course.

He shouldn't have extended at the end of 16/17 either. Doesn't matter if we had a structure in place or not. 17/18 was too toxic.

The biggest mistake Arsenal made was hiring Emery. It was a disaster. Even a past-his-prime Ancelotti would have been a better appointment at the time.

Shame how everything turned out.

With Joorabchian in charge at Arsenal, I'm skeptical about our future. I feel we have royally messed up.

ag6789 wrote:Stupid thing to say he was shit or screwed the club, etc, etc, He has made Arsenal a global brand and given us the most successful period in our history.
But, it was time for him to leave , because time and tide waits for none and he was getting on in years.
Transitions are difficult and we were duped by a greasy charlatan for year and half and regressed a bit. Hopefully, Arteta along with Edu will find a path forward, if not, the hunt for the right combination will continue....like ManU and many others.

And, more or less, this.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 14, 2020 7:03 pm

ag6789 wrote:Stupid thing to say he was shit or screwed the club, etc, etc, He has made Arsenal a global brand and given us the most successful period in our history.

A global brand if you were 10 when Wenger joined us. We were global long before Wenger joined.

He took us forward then took us backwards in a period where the league is more competitive. We did not take advantage of the competitive edge we had and all of that momentum has gone. Totally his fault.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 pm

I see a dark future ahead. Many clubs like Newcastle, Leeds and Forest fell off their perch never to return. I think history will look at Wenger far more kindly than you lot are.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri May 15, 2020 6:12 am

swipe right wrote:I see a dark future ahead. Many clubs like Newcastle, Leeds and Forest fell off their perch never to return. I think history will look at Wenger far more kindly than you lot are.
I agree with how history will look at Wenger. Like Clough but without the charisma.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 15, 2020 7:26 am

swipe right wrote:I see a dark future ahead. Many clubs like Newcastle, Leeds and Forest fell off their perch never to return. I think history will look at Wenger far more kindly than you lot are.

None of those clubs are Arsenal, even with their European Cup wins Nottingham Forest were not as big as us although that is purely subjective. Leeds never had regular success like Arsenal and Newcastle shouldn't even be in the conversation
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby NovaGB » Fri May 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Newcastle will be back contending in a year or 2 they are gonna be a money team like Man Shitty and Chelski.

Leed's biggest problem was the fact they were throwing money around but not winning anything and under performing in the league.

Forest where always punching above their weight, Clough worked miracles with them.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 15, 2020 11:37 pm

I would love to see Newcastle rise up, makes no sense how a club so big and well supported can underachieve like they do
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby NovaGB » Fri May 15, 2020 11:42 pm

theHotHead wrote:I would love to see Newcastle rise up, makes no sense how a club so big and well supported can underachieve like they do

I'd like to see them do better but not better than us :sneaky2:
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: Wenger Inn...

Postby Callum » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:16 am

world class
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk