The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Rockape » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:08 am

Stoopid headline in the mail online yesterday saying Ozil’s contract expired in Jan 21. That made me sit up, but when I read the article it said he had 21 months left on his contract. Fking useless twats!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:34 am

Looool
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Zanatos3 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:27 pm

Arsenal need to sell Mesut Ozil, says club hero Andrey Arshavin

Coral Barry Tuesday 31 Mar 2020 1:20 pm
METRO News Reporter

LINK

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/31/andrey-arshavin-arsenal-mikel-arteta-mesut-ozil-afc-transfer-12483330/

Arshavin, who spent four years at Arsenal, thinks Ozil is the wrong fit for the Gunners and criticized a ‘weak squad’.
Zanatos3
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:13 pm

theHotHead wrote:I honestly have no doubt - put Ozil in any other top team and he flourishes. Thats why I don't want him to be sold.

Tbh I've given up caring either way now, he's coming out of his prime and toward the downward retirement spiral so for me its not worth batting for.

If he's here and playing well great, if he goes, he's past his prime anyway so no great loss.

The last time Ozil lit the scene up was against Leicester under Emery when Ramsey helped score that amazing goal.

........... since then there's been no magic apart from a decent game in the Carabao Cup and a couple of assists.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:22 am

He needs runners off the ball. Give him runners. Nobody is making runs from deep like Ramsey, nobody is coming in off the flanks like Sanchez. Everything is too static. He has no one to pick out. Lacazette and Pepe are not helping him. Laca is a hard working dolt and Pepe is useless. Sanchez, Giroud and Ramsey were far more intelligent with their movement.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby VCC » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:04 am

The Teflon Don
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:34 am

swipe right wrote:He needs runners off the ball. Give him runners. Nobody is making runs from deep like Ramsey, nobody is coming in off the flanks like Sanchez. Everything is too static. He has no one to pick out. Lacazette and Pepe are not helping him. Laca is a hard working dolt and Pepe is useless. Sanchez, Giroud and Ramsey were far more intelligent with their movement.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:32 am

I was watching old 2011 games where rvp was tearing it up. However what stood out to me was the contribution Gervinho, Walcott and Song were making with their runs and final balls. If Ozil had such smart movement around him he’d be racking up the assists again.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:27 am

swipe right wrote:I was watching old 2011 games where rvp was tearing it up. However what stood out to me was the contribution Gervinho, Walcott and Song were making with their runs and final balls. If Ozil had such smart movement around him he’d be racking up the assists again.

Gervinho's movement was really good, and it's pre-injury Theo, so he was quick like fire. Song also had the season of his life in 11/12. I agree.

We lack players with such movement right now. Part of why Ozil/Alexis worked so well was because Alexis was a WF with smart movement and excellent dribbling skills. Pepe isn't even close to Alexis, nor does he have the smarts of a Hleb or a Arshavin.

In large, we were static under Unai with only the FBs providing width. It's not a surprise that Ozil's productivity went down as soon as Unai arrived. Unai's the worst type of manager you'd want if you are a CAM or if you like to see fluid off-the-ball movement/dynamic passing.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:10 am

Unfortunately thats been the general theme since Wenger left, the movement up top has been shocking, you sit and watch games and see the man on the ball have no options. I think that is a problem with the type of players we now have, not necessarily the systems we have played. Players just stand around or make runs that will never see them get the ball.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:14 am

Auba makes the old Henry/Sanchez runs in from the flank

Laca drops deep to hold the ball up and allow Ozil freedom to make the run into the box.

Martinelli takes Pepe’s spot and makes those lung busting Walcott runs in behind the defense for Ozil to pickup.

Cebellos overlaps with Ozil like Ramsey.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:31 pm

theHotHead wrote:Unfortunately thats been the general theme since Wenger left, the movement up top has been shocking, you sit and watch games and see the man on the ball have no options. I think that is a problem with the type of players we now have, not necessarily the systems we have played. Players just stand around or make runs that will never see them get the ball.

Our attacking game has suffered since Wenger left. Even at his worst, we were devastating sides, and scoring was never an issue. The movement was fluid.

Now, we're so static and rigid. It's like a side that's shaped to defend than to devastate.

Excluding this season, our worst scoring season last decade was actually 15/16—a season that saw Alexis' worst in Arsenal colors and a season where Giroud decided to have the worst drought possible.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby swipe right » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:03 pm

swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Very good analysis
theHotHead