General Chit Chat

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: General Chit Chat

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:07 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... apses.html

Well that really sucks...made in China I guess.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:25 am

LMAO wrote:
Angelito wrote:

What do you guys think of this observation?

Rise of the digital age and increasing urbanization.

Sure, we can see what's going on around the world at a moment's notice, but we're separated by screens which takes away in-person human interaction and can create social isolation.

As for cities, it's easy to live in a city and be surrounded by strangers whom you share minimal contact with compared to living in a tight-knit community like a small town where everyone knows everyone and you're almost forced to interact with your neighbors. But even so, we see tragedies bringing people together all the time.

I wouldn't say being less empathetic is necessarily a bad thing or necessarily a good thing, it's just a different way of experiencing the current world.

I'd go as far back as the industrial revolution that really put individuality above communal good. Before that, humans needed each other to survive. No person, unless belonging to feudals or powers-that-be, had a chance to live the dream and become independently successful. That changed after the industrial revolution.

The digital age only exacerbated the underlying tendency whose seeds were planted after the industrial revolution. As cliched as it sounds, the world became a global village after the advent of electronic communication.

The speed at which individuality toppled the need to belong as part of whole skyrocketed during this age of information.

As for the effects spectrum, empathy is innately good. As a utility, do people need it today? I doubt it. Lack of empathy is why we are in this war of genders today. It's not explicit but it remains as an underlying current.

The exposure to heinous crimes and activities thanks to news and media is another reason why we've become insensitive too. Even 50 years ago, we needed people to live a fulfilling life. Today, do we? It's all become transactional. There are options—more than ever.

I believe the kids born after 2030 would have more empathy than kids born in the 2000s. Social media is in an experimental state right now. By 2030, it would have become neutralized and the norm. The 90s kids were born in the digital age, but before social media. The 2000 kids are born in the age of social media where communication has become a construct rather than a need.

It's interesting though.

The dynamic I find more interesting is the living room culture. There was a time when it was mandatory. Parents and children, even friends and relatives, found it an essential social activity. Today, the middle-class in most countries are in a mess. The rich is getting more rich than ever before and the middle-class is dying a slow death. Parents don't have time for their children. Children are busy with school and in social media. We've become detached from real connections and the real world. Today's problems are more existential in developed societies and more created through abundance. This might be a generalization. But I feel it's true.

Compromise has become economical and our behavior has an open-ended approach. It's the need of the hour I guess. Your ability in accounts has more value than your ability to empathize. And, if your have that ability (to empathize), it has to be monetized through a career path, or else nobody will take your seriously.

The culture where everyone is offended by everyone and everything someone says pronounces this age's consciousness. We don't try and understand for the sake of understanding. We understand for the return, the end goal. And that's the underlying "problem." The society is goal-oriented more than ever today.

I feel we're heading to a generational existential crisis. It's the cycle of life.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:52 pm

LMAO wrote:
Angelito wrote:

What do you guys think of this observation?

Rise of the digital age and increasing urbanization.

Sure, we can see what's going on around the world at a moment's notice, but we're separated by screens which takes away in-person human interaction and can create social isolation.

As for cities, it's easy to live in a city and be surrounded by strangers whom you share minimal contact with compared to living in a tight-knit community like a small town where everyone knows everyone and you're almost forced to interact with your neighbors. But even so, we see tragedies bringing people together all the time.

I wouldn't say being less empathetic is necessarily a bad thing or necessarily a good thing, it's just a different way of experiencing the current world.

I would like to see the research rather that a tweet.

I find basic premise to be flawed on the face of it. Now if they are referring to the rise of Islamic or now Hindu theocracies then perhaps. If they are referring to the drop in Christian belief and religious charity contributions then perhaps (though I do not think the numbers support this) . If they are referring to Chinese colonization and exploitation certainly.

But when a disaster hits Haiti, Houston or the Bahamas the whole western world jumps in to help just as we did before.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Phil71 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:12 pm

A Cadbury’s creme egg weighs 40g.

26.5g of that is sugar - about a third of the amount an adult should eat in a day and almost the maximum for a child.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:28 pm

That Tweet is a load of cock.

Firstly 80% of statistics are made up including the one I just said.

Secondly the 80's were a completely different ball game, community was stronger and there was more reliance on family, for example, does the fact that women were completely dependent financially on men in the 1940's mean everything was rosey and that women were more loyal or was it more to do with the dependancy on each other from the circumstances at the time?

Humans, like animals act and are influenced by how they are treated, if we do care less then maybe that has something to do with it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:06 am

Society works in a cyclical way.

Using an example, today, women 20-29 cheat more than men. In contrast, men 30-35 are more prone to infidelity. Again, women in their 50s and 60s cheat more than men.

It's down to how liberated women have become.

Likewise, today, the masses are more liberated than any period in human history. For much of our history, men have been the hunters and women the gatherers. That's changed today.

Compassion and empathy are products of the collective consciousness of society. In today's cut-throat individualized environment, there is less of both because of the fall of social capital.

It's not about the dichotomy of ethics. It's the way society evolves and everything works in a cyclical way. Whether people believe in the institution of religion, or they don't, studies reveal that religious people tend to cheat less than people with no regard for religion. That's an example.

Based on my observation, 90% of humans hover across and around stupidity than ingenuity. That's our nature. Following Maslow's hierarchy, a person struggling for food won't ask about abstract theories of the universe. That's for the fourth or fifth stage.

Where is society at this stage? That answers a lot of questions. And answers are found in the narrative that each society forms and transmits. Everything is consequential, but as humans, today, we're repeating the same mistakes we have been doing over the past thousands of years.

Middle-ground doesn't exist for 90% of the people. That's why humans have the tendency to take extreme stands on either spectrum. Do I blame humans? No, I don't. Unlike animals, we are born with the potential to transcend into superior beings, but that's not the case because survival is still a major issue. And, ultimately, we're still animals—only an animal that is capable of questioning things, but an animal nonetheless.

Hence, as DG said, we're trained by society ultimately. That forms our basic responses and reactions. Few have managed to go beyond biology. The question is: what is beyond biology; is it even possible?

A fact is a fact and there are underlying facets behind that fact. But independently, the why is always a successor to the what. But it doesn't change what is.

To add to DG's argument, the three responses to that tweet have been interesting, however. Brandon provided causal interpretation of the tweet. PRISS inferred from the tweet through the lens of cynicism. And, DG's interpretation was of negation.

That's the whole premise, I feel. Objectivity has been replaced by subjectivity more so than ever today. The growth of philosophy has retarded today because science has taken the mantle of objectivity. Everything else has become subjective. In that subjectivity, pivoting across various standpoints seems to have been lost.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Rockape » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:25 am

Phil71 wrote:A Cadbury’s creme egg weighs 40g.

26.5g of that is sugar - about a third of the amount an adult should eat in a day and almost the maximum for a child.

I ate four in a row once after shoplifting a load when I was about 10. I don't think I ate another one for at least 30 years! :sick:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:21 pm

So hanging out to watch some live sport I am watching the Bahrain simulation race lol
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:42 am

They should just release The Last of Us 2 early to help the world get through these dark days.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Rockape » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:52 pm

I didn’t leave my home today but carried on doing some fencing work at the end of my garden.

According to my health tracker, I walked 2.6 miles.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Rockape wrote:I didn’t leave my home today but carried on doing some fencing work at the end of my garden.

According to my health tracker, I walked 2.6 miles.

Rockape, I imagine there will be a lot of those jobs getting done all around the globe.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Rockape » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:06 am

I normally meet my old school pals on a Thursday night for a few beers, so last night we all had a virtual on line meeting whilst drinking at home.

Worked well tbh....chatted shit for two and a half hours!

:1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Massa » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:22 pm

Phil71 wrote:A Cadbury’s creme egg weighs 40g.

f***ing tasty though boss
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:02 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:16 pm

What happened in the movie thread? It's locked
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee