2019/20 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Champions League 2019/20

Postby Ach » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:38 pm

lol from going undefeated and winning the treble to matching what Leicester did with hardly any money

Damp squib of a season.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:50 pm

Simeone does it again, the guy is a genius!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Zenith » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:12 pm

Losmeister wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Losmeister wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Losmeister wrote:
Zenith wrote:Horrible positioning by Adrían yet again.

Far post attempt was impossible as that side was entirely covered by Henderson.

Had he adjusted his position by taking two proactive steps to his left, he might have been able to save the shot.

Instead, he remains stationary and doesn't get anywhere near the ball as logical and inevitable consequence.

GKers should always guess and move yards in one way or another prior to a shot.... :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

If one side of the goal is entirely covered by the body of the defender, which was the case (Henderson), then absolutely.

It doesn't get more basic than that.

the should do it on free kicks too!
:rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

Of course not. A defensive wall is between 9 and 10 meters away from the ball, which opens various angles for a player to pursue.

Henderson wasn't even half a meter away from Llorente and blocked more than 40% of the far post side of the goal. Adrían failed to adjust accordingly.

I can't believe this needs explaining, hence I hope you're joking.

no i am not, its sad that YOU are not to me, at least,.

GKers predicting and moving yards before a shot is a disaster technique...

I simply strongly disagree vehemently with your point...
(because, the ball NEVER goes bewteen a defenders legs, right?)

nothing personal, Zeni.

It has nothing to do with goalkeeping technique. Technique is a whole different department. It's about basic anticipation by adjusting accordingly to the situation that mounts in front of you.

By remaining stationary, Adrían reduced his chance of being able to save the ball because he was covering an angle that was already covered by not one, but two bodies in Henderson and Gomez.

The chance of conceding a shot where the ball goes through two defenders' legs is significantly smaller than when one leaves the opposing angle unguarded—in this case the near post.

The chance a player tries to fire the ball through two (almost) symmetrically aligned defenders is highly improbable and makes a double nutmeg scenario even less likely.

Llorente knows this very well and, to his credit, took full advantage of the situation.

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Losmeister » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:30 am

Zeni.. seek a behind the goal angle... eh shuffled left prior to the shot... he DID NOT REMAIN STATIONARY

we disagree...

look at 10:01 aligned at to pen spot ( a smiiiiiiidge left of center)
at 10:02 he's left of center...
he DID cheat to that side...
https://youtu.be/NvBshoIkxLc?t=598
player could also have faked a shot... cos , that actually happens in football...

and you act as if the 2 players had shut down one side for a discernable time they hadnt...

there is an Atelti guy following up the play behind and left of the attacker.. ( GK right)
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:53 am

The point is, Adrían did not readjust his position anywhere near enough. He takes an additional two steps and would, at the very least, would have increased his chance of saving it.

Losmeister wrote:player could also have faked a shot... cos , that actually happens in football...

Even if Llorente fakes his shot, he still had Gomez to beat, which would have allowed more than ample time for Adrian to reposition himself accordingly.

Additionally, it's also highly unlikely a notoriously one-footed Llorente would cut onto his left foot, which would further have reduced his chance of scoring.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:57 am

Zenith wrote:The point is, Adrían did not readjust his position anywhere near enough. He takes an additional two steps and would, at the very least, would have increased his chance of saving it.

Losmeister wrote:
player could also have faked a shot... cos , that actually happens in football...

Even if Llorente fakes his shot, he still had Gomez to beat, which would have allowed more than ample time for Adrian to reposition himself accordingly.

Additionally, it's also highly unlikely a notoriously one-footed Llorente would cut onto his left foot, which would further have reduced his chance of scoring.

we disagree.

i'd love to know what other posters here @ GW think.
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:00 am

Llorente is neither mobile, nor a great dribbler and terribly one-footed. He was never going to cut onto his nonexistent left foot.

If that's a nimble, pacy, ambipedal dribbler like Neymar, you might have a case.

Even then, why would Neymar cut onto his left foot when the goalkeeper leaves the one and only unprotected side of his goal unguarded, allowing for Jr simply shoot with his stronger right foot?

I think you're coming up with way too many highly unlikely scenarios that don't make sense with the variables that are at play.

You're right, though; we don't have to agree. I rest my case. :Peace:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:27 am

you realize you moved the goal posts... BY REMAINING STATIONARY

then i disprove this...

HE DIDNT MOVE NEAR ENOUGH

you are literally the only person, here, or anywhere that I have seen, that is seeing this goal as a GK error...

and i am not even defending Adrian who i think is poor.
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:42 am

Yes stationary is incorrect description. But if we're going to petty I might as well highlight your reading comprehension which left a lot to be desired. Didn't feel the need to mention it but because you keep dwelling on me using the word 'stationary' (which doesn't change anything about the crux of the matter) I might as well.

In your first reply you moved goalposts and twisted my words by replying the following:
GKers should always guess and move yards in one way or another prior to a shot.... <Insert1kROFLEmoticonsHere>

In your second reply you compared the situation with that of a direct set piece routine where the position of the defending player is ≉10 meters further removed from the shot taker than Henderson was against Llorente. It's not remotely similar, so why bother with the comparison?
the gk should do it on free kicks too! <Insert1kROFLEmoticonsHere>

A set piece routine completely changes the avenues and options of the taker of the shot to pursue. Over the wall, underneath the wall, around the wall. Llorente's only viable chance of scoring was with a near post shot - he knew this very well and took advantage of the situation.

Regarding Adrían: he did move, thus did not remain stationary. That still doesn't by any stretch mean he readjusted far enough relative to the angle that was covered by two Liverpool defenders and the angle that was not.

Zenith wrote:rest my case. :Peace:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:14 am

you think gkers should guess and move yards in either direction. i get it.
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:23 am

Glad the Dippers went out.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Phil71 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:47 am

Klopp very bitter afterwards about Simeone's style of play.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby dc16 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:58 am

He would be. They lost away and conceded three goals at home. :rofll:

Atletico stuck in there and work really hard for that win. Liverpool look pretty fatigued at the moment tbh.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:10 pm

Phil71 wrote:Klopp very bitter afterwards about Simeone's style of play.

Yup not very graceful in defeat, feck em. :rofll:
Nuggets

Postby Losmeister » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:47 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Klopp very bitter afterwards about Simeone's style of play.

Yup not very graceful in defeat, feck em. :rofll:

the barca collapse affected them... MENTAL GIANTS!!! they assumed they were gonna win, fuggers...
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to World Football