Arteta vs Ancelotti vs Mourinho

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Who would you prefer?

Arteta
62%
Ancelotti
38%

Total votes : 42

Re: Arteta vs Ancelotti vs Mourinho

Postby Zenith » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Özim wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:Thrashed by an average Chelsea side

Beat the best team in the country in midweek as well, clearly on a hot streak of form.

That’s the trouble with a young team, it’s ups and downs they can be great for a while, then terrible for a while then great again, was always going to happen.

With an average age of 25.5, Everton's squad is 0.2 years younger than our squad (25.7), yet we never see you apply that excuse in favour of Arteta's Arsenal.

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:36 pm

Zenith wrote:
Özim wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:Thrashed by an average Chelsea side

Beat the best team in the country in midweek as well, clearly on a hot streak of form.

That’s the trouble with a young team, it’s ups and downs they can be great for a while, then terrible for a while then great again, was always going to happen.

With an average age of 25.5, Everton's squad is 0.2 years younger than our squad (25.7), yet we never see you apply that excuse in favour of Arteta's Arsenal.

I was talking about Chelsea
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Ok, 25.7 for Arsenal and 25.3 for Chelsea. Zenith's point still stands.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:07 am

Looks like Pep will be off to France or Italy this summer. Can’t see him sticking around for a rebuild with less money and no Europe.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zenith » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:24 am

swipe right wrote:Looks like Pep will be off to France or Italy this summer. Can’t see him sticking around for a rebuild with less money and no Europe.

Not if he's a man of his word.
Speaking after the 2-0 Premier League victory against West Ham, the City manager insisted the matter was not finished. “The club believes it is unfair so we are going to appeal and we are going to wait,” Guardiola said. “I trust 100% what my club have said and what they have done, they have explained to me the reasons. We are going to fight, and we are optimistic that next season, if we qualify for the Champions League, we will be there.”

Guardiola is under contract until the end of next season and has confirmed he will not be walking away from the club before that point. “Unless they sack me, which can happen, I will not leave,” he said. “Why should I? I love this club, I like to be here, and after we have seen the sentence we will focus on what we have to do. I want to stay to continue to help the club and maintain this level as long as possible. That’s not just because I have a contract, we want to fight to the end for the people who support this club.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... gainst-ban
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:17 pm

Mourinho and Ancelotti had good starts, but they're now being found out for the dinosaurs they are.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:58 pm

Mourinho is a knob but you can't ignore the injuries they have, he took over a deflated team as well.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby swipe right » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:24 am

What is it that these younger managers like Nagelsman are doing tactically that is making life for the older ones like Mourinho so hard?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zenith » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:02 am

Mikel Arteta
(Luiz, Sokratis and Mustafi

7 clean sheets in 15

José Mourinho
(Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Sánchez)

3 clean sheets in 26
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:59 am

Marsbar100 wrote:Mourinho is a knob but you can't ignore the injuries they have, he took over a deflated team as well.

I was led to believe Spurs have a better squad than us though. Seems like Poch got them to punch above their weight for years.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby theHotHead » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 am

Marsbar100 wrote:Mourinho is a knob but you can't ignore the injuries they have, he took over a deflated team as well.

What about our injuries ??? And our squad was far more deflated than theirs!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:02 am

theHotHead wrote:

We don't have our entire forward line out, that's their issue they can't score goals.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:04 am

Zenith wrote:Mikel Arteta
(Luiz, Sokratis and Mustafi

7 clean sheets in 15

José Mourinho
(Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Sánchez)

3 clean sheets in 26

What that stat doesn't show is how rubbish we've been and how boring to watch and lacking in ideas going forward. Seems to me that Arteta has turned us into a negative defensive team (everything most Arsenal fans never wanted), if you do that clean sheets are easier to come back, even more so when you get the rub of the green as he has had, many teams have just missed simple chances against us, kinda masks the reality a bit.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Losmeister » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 am

LMAO wrote:

I was led to believe Spurs have a better squad than us though. Seems like Poch got them to punch above their weight for years.

yup. also... from the guardian
"Marcel Sabitzer’s two-goal blitz perfectly illustrated the reliable midfield goal threat that Tottenham have been so lacking. Remarkably no Tottenham midfielder has scored in the Premier League or Champions League since Moussa Sissoko in December. This is a failure not just of individuals but also of tactics: goalscoring midfielders are a measure of territorial dominance, of playing the game in the opposition half and creating chances in dangerous areas. But if the defence is sitting deep and the attack consists of sporadic breakaways and forlorn long balls, then the midfield is essentially a factotum: a means of shovelling the ball somewhere else, before settling in for the next wave of defensive pressure."

sound like our midfield? i mean, ozilfor one, is afraid to even shoot anymore...
and no one else has even a whiff of a goal scoring threat bout them....sad
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Özim wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

We don't have our entire forward line out, that's their issue they can't score goals.

Yes but when Mourinho joined they didn't have any major injury woes and they have lost Son and Kane now but We have been down both LBs/LWBs, first choice RB, a CB for a while and now our primary DM - and as you know defending has been our biggest problem.

Spurs have Lamela and Moura - and lets not forget Moura got them to the CL final.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk