Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby NovaGB » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:30 pm

Angelito wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Give him what he wants FFS. One of the Top 10 strikers in the world who's done the job everywhere he's been, and never made excuses.

Top 5 surely!!

Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandowski then, in my opinion Auba before Neymar and Salah, or is that bias?

Messi, Neymar, and Ronaldo aren't strikers though. If we consider goal-scorers in general, excluding Messi and Ronaldo, it's Lewandowski, Neymar, Mbappe, Auba, and Salah in that order currently. No Prem player has scored more goals since Auba's PL debut.

On a different note, Neymar is hands down the third best player in the world but he's had a wild run with injuries. His goal involvement ratio is second only to Messi since 17/18 season.

Wait Messi and Ronaldo, Neymar are not strikers but Salah and Auba and Mbappe are?

I'd say they are all deployed as Inside Forwards and sometimes strikers, Ronaldo & Mbappe more so recently, Salah never as far as i know.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Angelito » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:29 am

https://plpotm.easports.com

Vote for Aubaaaaaaaa.

NovaGB wrote:
Angelito wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Give him what he wants FFS. One of the Top 10 strikers in the world who's done the job everywhere he's been, and never made excuses.

Top 5 surely!!

Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandowski then, in my opinion Auba before Neymar and Salah, or is that bias?

Messi, Neymar, and Ronaldo aren't strikers though. If we consider goal-scorers in general, excluding Messi and Ronaldo, it's Lewandowski, Neymar, Mbappe, Auba, and Salah in that order currently. No Prem player has scored more goals since Auba's PL debut.

On a different note, Neymar is hands down the third best player in the world but he's had a wild run with injuries. His goal involvement ratio is second only to Messi since 17/18 season.

Wait Messi and Ronaldo, Neymar are not strikers but Salah and Auba and Mbappe are?

I'd say they are all deployed as Inside Forwards and sometimes strikers, Ronaldo & Mbappe more so recently, Salah never as far as i know.

Salah isn't either. Auba is. Mbappe is a CF who can play anywhere across the front line.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby NovaGB » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:06 pm

Angelito wrote:https://plpotm.easports.com

Vote for Aubaaaaaaaa.

NovaGB wrote:
Angelito wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Top 5 surely!!

Salah isn't either. Auba is. Mbappe is a CF who can play anywhere across the front line.

He is now yeah, but hes played wings up until half way through this season with occasional time up front.

You can't really say Auba is only doing good for goals because hes a 'real striker played out wide' because he played most of his career out wide also, they all play in similar roles with the same versatility.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby themessiah » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:12 pm

For me He's better out wide how hard is this to understand? . Auba is a good finisher and fast, but his passing and hold up play isn't great, which is why he is better on the left wing as he can run into space and create chances to score.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:22 pm

themessiah wrote:For me He's better out wide how hard is this to understand? . Auba is a good finisher and fast, but his passing and hold up play isn't great, which is why he is better on the left wing as he can run into space and create chances to score.

That makes sense if we're playing someone up front that's doing the stuff Auba doesn't do well but instead it's a double negative. Missed chances and no hold up/link up play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby themessiah » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
themessiah wrote:For me He's better out wide how hard is this to understand? . Auba is a good finisher and fast, but his passing and hold up play isn't great, which is why he is better on the left wing as he can run into space and create chances to score.

That makes sense if we're playing someone up front that's doing the stuff Auba doesn't do well but instead it's a double negative. Missed chances and no hold up/link up play.

I am acually very impressed on how Arteta has used Auba out wide giving him the opportunity to come into the half spaces to allow width for the full backs dragging the opposition full back in whilst maintaining him as a goal threat.

It is very similar role to Mane at Liverpool but one that is paying off. Stats below from everton game show how playing wide has allowed him to have the goal in front of him more so that he can run at defenders in one vs ones or gain a sight at goal!

Just look at this stats in the everton game

Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:54 pm

themessiah wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

I am acually very impressed on how Arteta has used Auba out wide giving him the opportunity to come into the half spaces to allow width for the full backs dragging the opposition full back in whilst maintaining him as a goal threat.

It is very similar role to Mane at Liverpool but one that is paying off. Stats below from everton game show how playing wide has allowed him to have the goal in front of him more so that he can run at defenders in one vs ones or gain a sight at goal!

Just look at this stats in the everton game

Again, it comes back to who is playing up front if it's not Auba. If we're not getting great build up play or passing from whomever else is playing the CF role, like what was saw in the EL with Laca, then we're essentially wasting two players.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:58 pm

First 45 minutes of this game if you're watching. 61% pass completion from Nketiah, losing the ball, no hold up play and we're getting nothing from Aubameyang. So it's like we're down two players.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zenith » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby swipe right » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:16 pm

Play him through the center with Martinelli on the left.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby NovaGB » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:13 pm

swipe right wrote:Play him through the center with Martinelli on the left.

I agree, but there must be a reason Arteta has not thought of that and it might be that Auba does not do well up top on his own and needs someone to play off.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby elkanofan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:32 pm

I'm really fed up with him outwide.

We lack mobility and ball carriers.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:58 pm

elkanofan wrote:I'm really fed up with him outwide.

We lack mobility and ball carriers.

It's a frustrating to watch and a waste. He should be the one getting on the end of Saka's crosses and not the one playing Saka in for the overlap.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:02 pm

Sell.
We have zero time to be entering into more 'will he, won't he' contract negotiations.
He always been a 'me first' player - his attitude stinks.
He needs to go as soon as the window opens and we should be preparing for replacing him now.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:06 pm

He's much better out wide.
Centrally he has zero ability to hold the ball up, fight off defenders and bring others into play.
Wide and cutting in is where he is most effective.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club