The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:47 pm

Take Ozil's stats vs Sheffield United (whoscored.com):

Shots - 0. ShotsOT - 0. Key Passes - 4. Pass Accuracy - 88%. Aerials won - 0. Touches - 59. Dribbles - 2. Dispossessed - 0. Bad control - 2. Rating - 7.01.

Mesut Ozil vs Newcastle:
Shots - 1. Shots OT - 1. Key Passes - 4. Pass Accuracy - 95.9%. Aerials won - 0. Touches - 57. Dribbles - 1. Dispossessed - 0. Bad Control - 0. Rating - 7.91.

Like I said, hardly any difference in the above stats, yes, vs Newcastle the stats are better but there is nothing that stands out as a marked improvement.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:52 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Good performance but let's not forget the other 15 games this season with no goal or assist, if anyone can rescue him I feel it will be arteta let's hope he does.

He played exactly the same in the other 15 games.
Top class - every single time he plays.

The difference today was the improvement in the movement of our forwards and Ceballos proved an excellent partner (similar to Cazorla)

Ozil moved more himself as well. He and a few others were actually moving around when they didn't have the ball and getting in open space. As opposed to how we've been playing recently, just standing there most of the time, ball watching.

You don;t watch Arsenal games if you think Ozil has been 'standing there most of the time'.

When in attack too many times our players get into or near the box then don't move enough. Obviously saying "most of the time" is an exaggeration. I always have thought that the worst possible argument you can have on this forum is to say someone must not watch the games. But the overall all point was, he and others moved more, they got into open space more than they do normally. I don't think that was hard to see that we were better doing that in this game. :dontknow:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Good performance but let's not forget the other 15 games this season with no goal or assist, if anyone can rescue him I feel it will be arteta let's hope he does.

The difference today was the improvement in the movement of our forwards and Ceballos proved an excellent partner (similar to Cazorla)

Ozil moved more himself as well. He and a few others were actually moving around when they didn't have the ball and getting in open space. As opposed to how we've been playing recently, just standing there most of the time, ball watching.

It's nuts how anyone can say this type of the performance.....

is the same as this one!

It's not just the goal but in the game against Sheffield he's overhitting passes into the box. He's not as sharp or aggressively trying to get into the box or looking for the forward pass. He's not a passenger against Newcastle.

So you are agreeing with me?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:54 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

is the same as this one!

It's not just the goal but in the game against Sheffield he's overhitting passes into the box. He's not as sharp or aggressively trying to get into the box or looking for the forward pass. He's not a passenger against Newcastle.

PNG you are clutching at serious straws here!! There is hardly any difference between Ozil's 2 performances. He has more space to run with the ball against Newcastle but Sheffield United were a much better organised team and those spaces were not afforded to him as often. I saw the same movement, the same urgency and the same type of play when he had the ball in similar positions - in both games.

In both games:
He tracked back and gave away free kicks.
He drove forward with the ball if he had the space to.
Not every pass went to its intended target.
Some neat and tidy play.

The differences you mention are not worthy of discussion insomuch as you are splitting hairs really.

So if that's the case....would it be fair to say Newcastle is his level and can't perform against better opponents? See where this is going?

If you guys can't notice the difference between these clips in his performance then I really don't want to have another discussion on Ozil because I can't trust any opinion you have on his subtle qualities. Are seriously telling me you can't see the passes he was overhitting to Martinelli when in the final third or hitting behind him? (00.35, 02.10, 03.17) or how often he's playing it backwards in comparison?

Ozil had a slow 30 minutes against Newcastle. The whole attack were looking a bit out of sorts but noticed he was the one starting to take more risks and up the tempo then the chances started to come. You see it around the 1.45 mark with that nice bit of skill and pass, the overstep dummy after where he's darting into the box to score (which is rare for Ozil) and the pass into the box for Nkteiah to try and shoot first time. If you can't see the difference when it's right in front of you....
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:56 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

is the same as this one!

So you are agreeing with me?

100% in agreement.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 pm

theHotHead wrote:But thats not what Ozil does, Ozil always moves, thats why he is in the top quartile of players distance covered in the squad. Contrary to the pathetic "he is lazy" narrative people like to spin.

I'm not in that camp. I'm a fan of Ozil btw. But he moved more this game, at least from what I saw. Not just him, many of our attacking players made themselves available more often, specifically in and around the box. Too many times in the past few years actually we were too stagnant there.

I'm here actually sticking up for Ozil and some of you Ozil lover boys still want to argue. FFS!!! :BangHead:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 pm

ozil taught lew alcindor the sky hook and rick barry free throws
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

is the same as this one!

PNG you are clutching at serious straws here!! There is hardly any difference between Ozil's 2 performances. He has more space to run with the ball against Newcastle but Sheffield United were a much better organised team and those spaces were not afforded to him as often. I saw the same movement, the same urgency and the same type of play when he had the ball in similar positions - in both games.

In both games:
Some neat and tidy play.

The differences you mention are not worthy of discussion insomuch as you are splitting hairs really.

So if that's the case....would it be fair to say Newcastle is his level and can't perform against better opponents? See where this is going?

If you guys can't notice the difference between these clips in his performance then I really don't want to have another discussion on Ozil because I can't trust any opinion you have on his subtle qualities. Are seriously telling me you can't see the passes he was overhitting to Martinelli when in the final third or hitting behind him? (00.35, 02.10, 03.17) or how often he's playing it backwards in comparison?

Ozil had a slow 30 minutes against Newcastle. The whole attack were looking a bit out of sorts but noticed he was the one starting to take more risks and up the tempo then the chances started to come. You see it around the 1.45 mark with that nice bit of skill and pass, the overstep dummy after where he's darting into the box to score (which is rare for Ozil) and the pass into the box for Nkteiah to try and shoot first time. If you can't see the difference when it's right in front of you....

You can really tell when Ozil is feeling good, he gets so confident. He performs more flicks, more dummies, no look passes. That's when he's really expressing himself like we all love to see him doing. He makes it look so easy and effortless. I don't know if he has that in him enough to do consistently anymore, but to me he's almost worth his wage when he plays like that.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dejan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:27 pm

This thread has come to the point of ozil fans arguing with eachother

Hilarious

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

is the same as this one!

In both games:
Some neat and tidy play.

No that is not what I am saying.

Likewise PNG, if you are going to blow that Newcastle performance up based on the video clip as something that is considerably different to what is in the Sheffield United clip I can say you are clutching at straws, based on the differences between the 2 clips
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:22 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

is the same as this one!

In both games:
Some neat and tidy play.

You can really tell when Ozil is feeling good, he gets so confident. He performs more flicks, more dummies, no look passes. That's when he's really expressing himself like we all love to see him doing. He makes it look so easy and effortless. I don't know if he has that in him enough to do consistently anymore, but to me he's almost worth his wage when he plays like that.

Yep. That's what I mean. You can just tell as it's happening that Ozil is on his best game and it's not just the odd moment of brilliance but a complete performance. If he could produce that more often or if he had, he wouldn't divide opinion as much.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:34 pm

StLGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:But thats not what Ozil does, Ozil always moves, thats why he is in the top quartile of players distance covered in the squad. Contrary to the pathetic "he is lazy" narrative people like to spin.

I'm not in that camp. I'm a fan of Ozil btw. But he moved more this game, at least from what I saw. Not just him, many of our attacking players made themselves available more often, specifically in and around the box. Too many times in the past few years actually we were too stagnant there.

I'm here actually sticking up for Ozil and some of you Ozil lover boys still want to argue. FFS!!! :BangHead:

Lol, you made a claim, some of us don't agree with it. I have not seen Ozil do anything differently, you are going on like your word is law. I don't agree and I am not arguing because I am an Ozil lover boy or any other stupid name people might use, in my opinion and from what I have seen Ozil is playing the same way, as a team we played better against Newcastle.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:42 pm

theHotHead wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

Lol, you made a claim, some of us don't agree with it. I have not seen Ozil do anything differently, you are going on like your word is law. I don't agree and I am not arguing because I am an Ozil lover boy or any other stupid name people might use, in my opinion and from what I have seen Ozil is playing the same way, as a team we played better against Newcastle.

If you can't see difference between a pass with too much weight on it or hit behind a player then I really don't get how you see the subtle qualities in a player like Ozil.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:49 pm

theHotHead wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

Oh jeez! I was agreeing with you two and then pointing out the fact the many of our attackers moved more than normal. Doesn't mean that they never moved at all, or Ozil always just stood in one place. How that sounds like my word is law I don't know. Ha! Man I swear you would argue over anything.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:51 pm

A Youtube Compilation video of his best moments across his career and days in Germany and Spain are ok to make a case of his how good he is but all of a sudden recent highlights tracking his moments over an entire game is out of line.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club