Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Dejan wrote:
Parzival38 wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Arteta even whilst making some mistakes has done wonders, 1 unlucky loss in like 9 or so games is a dream turnaround form emery
Done wonders? Dream turn around?
Artetas points/game is lower than emerys....

Have u been taking dgs uppers?

Results haven't been a dream, but the difference is obvious.
I can follow you if you said weve improved our defensive stability(while sacrificing our attack).

However, calling it a dream turnaround, or arteta doing wonders while achieving less points per game than emery doesnt work for me buddy.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

It hasn't been amazing but I'm confused by the above bold point. Less points per game?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby elkanofan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Goonerz wrote:I think Arteta has been steadily improving the team. I like how we are much better defensive. Not conceding a lot of goals like we did under the later Wenger and Emery.

This was Newcastle and at home. Was a game we should be expected to win, but not in these recent times.

Newcastle game us so much time and space it was unbelievable. They literally gave up in the second half.

Let’s see how we do against Everton and other more drilled teams. Then I will jump onto the bandwagon that we have moved forward.

It’s a good win but still a bit sceptical about the quality of our squad.
Newcastle are a glorified championship team.

Without Shelvey especially. They lack anything, they just punt it to Saint-Maxim who is quality and hope. Rest of the team are Championship players. They won't go down but if they did. Most of that team would stay together since nobody would want them.

Lazaro is ok. Was humiliated by our Saka due to not being up to speed with the EPL yet. Almiron is decent. But they don't have anything for a club like us to fear.

We can't get carried away. Heads down get a result vs Olympiakos then a big game vs Everton which will be far harder. They actually have good players and a good manager.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:53 pm

We've dropped points against lesser opponents.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:16 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Parzival38 wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Arteta even whilst making some mistakes has done wonders, 1 unlucky loss in like 9 or so games is a dream turnaround form emery

I can follow you if you said weve improved our defensive stability(while sacrificing our attack).

However, calling it a dream turnaround, or arteta doing wonders while achieving less points per game than emery doesnt work for me buddy.

It hasn't been amazing but I'm confused by the above bold point. Less points per game?

Yes. Average points per game.

Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:20 pm

Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Parzival38 wrote:
Dejan wrote:

Averages per game? But are you looking at.....nvm.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Parzival38 wrote:
Dejan wrote:

Averages per game? But are you looking at.....nvm.
Lol

Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:26 pm

Özim wrote:Good result yesterday at all, first half was dreadful and still plenty questionable decisions from Arteta but a decent and much needed win in the end after a very good 2nd half.

Arteta seems to be having the same issue Emery had last season, getting the team to perform in two halves, so far we only seem to turn up in 1 and that can only be sustained for so long.

Need to carry on this way, Everton game should be interesting.

Emery's problem last season was because he kept picking weak lineups to start the game then would bring on the big guns in the second half.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:Good result yesterday at all, first half was dreadful and still plenty questionable decisions from Arteta but a decent and much needed win in the end after a very good 2nd half.

Arteta seems to be having the same issue Emery had last season, getting the team to perform in two halves, so far we only seem to turn up in 1 and that can only be sustained for so long.

Need to carry on this way, Everton game should be interesting.

Emery's problem last season was because he kept picking weak lineups to start the game then would bring on the big guns in the second half.

I think the issue is more of a player issue.
They are not consistent - which supports the view that they lack the professionalism needed to put in the required effort and concentration for the full game, every game.
Arteta has yet to really fix that - although he has made strides with defensive organisation (we're still error prone though as shown by the lack of concentration when we went 2-0 up yesterday. Newcastle could have easily scored 2)

I am not sold on Arteta at all - he's not been that good so far, but I don;t really blame him - we don;t have the players.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:24 pm

Jay Emery at the beginning of last season was picking weakened starting lineups then making subs at half time/early second half and clawing back games. It wasn't down to inconsistent players it was down to Emery being a weirdo.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Approval from the big man, arteta knows what he is doing
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby elkanofan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:03 am

Power n Glory wrote:We've dropped points against lesser opponents.
Yes, very true.

Although only Palace had a similar injury crisis going into playing us with. The othee teams all were not in the same injury crisis as Newcastle

Newcastle had 10 players out compared to Palace's 11. Including KEY player in Jonjo Shelvey.

Newcastle put out a true Championship quality 11 so my point is we cannot expect every game to be a comfortable in the end because even Norwich will give us more issues than Newcastle did because despite them being rubbish. Because they are actually setup in a style where they can attack with fluidity as a team.

Newcastle play exclusively on the counter. Infact have the lowest percentage of possession of any team in Europe's top 5 leagues i think.

Arteta must keep our players grounded, keep the discipline. Keep us focused and maintain work on the small things to keep us improving.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:49 am

elkanofan wrote:
Yes, very true.

Although only Palace had a similar injury crisis going into playing us with. The othee teams all were not in the same injury crisis as Newcastle

Newcastle had 10 players out compared to Palace's 11. Including KEY player in Jonjo Shelvey.

Newcastle put out a true Championship quality 11 so my point is we cannot expect every game to be a comfortable in the end because even Norwich will give us more issues than Newcastle did because despite them being rubbish. Because they are actually setup in a style where they can attack with fluidity as a team.

Newcastle play exclusively on the counter. Infact have the lowest percentage of possession of any team in Europe's top 5 leagues i think.

Arteta must keep our players grounded, keep the discipline. Keep us focused and maintain work on the small things to keep us improving.

Regardless of the condition of the opposition, we took the three points, kept a clean sheet and scored the goals. I don't think we need to go overboard with the praise but as said, against lesser sides we have churned out woeful performances.

Liverpool's kids put 5 past us and knocked us out of the League Cup. We were very lucky not to have been kicked out of the FA Cup by Leeds. We've drawn 2-2 against Southampton. Lost at home to Frankfurt. Lost at home to Brighton.

Judging from Arteta's interview, it sounds like he's not getting carried away and it shouldn't because these are the easy games where we should be keeping clean sheets, picking up 3 points and comfortably scoring. A loss or dropped points would have just melted away whatever team spirit and confidence we had over the past few weeks. I would have been really concerned if we didn't perform well. But it would have been a mistake to underestimate Newcastle. They surprised Everton coming back from 2 goals down and beat Chelsea. They haven't lost a game since the 1st Jan so I wasn't expecting an easy match considering our recent record.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby elkanofan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Yes, very true.

Regardless of the condition of the opposition, we took the three points, kept a clean sheet and scored the goals. I don't think we need to go overboard with the praise but as said, against lesser sides we have churned out woeful performances.

Liverpool's kids put 5 past us and knocked us out of the League Cup. We were very lucky not to have been kicked out of the FA Cup by Leeds. We've drawn 2-2 against Southampton. Lost at home to Frankfurt. Lost at home to Brighton.

Judging from Arteta's interview, it sounds like he's not getting carried away and it shouldn't because these are the easy games where we should be keeping clean sheets, picking up 3 points and comfortably scoring. A loss or dropped points would have just melted away whatever team spirit and confidence we had over the past few weeks. I would have been really concerned if we didn't perform well. But it would have been a mistake to underestimate Newcastle. They surprised Everton coming back from 2 goals down and beat Chelsea. They haven't lost a game since the 1st Jan so I wasn't expecting an easy match considering our recent record.
Hmm yes.

I watched their highlights vs Oxford where they were quite frankly embarrassing. So i could tell their squad was starting to fall apart from all the football they have played.

As long as Arteta keeps his head on the ground we can carry this momentum. He still needs to take one game at a time. Leta first get back to back PL wins. Then 3 then continue being unbeaten after the West Ham and Norwich matches.

After then we can see if we have really turned the corner. We need as many points as possible before the month of the Gods in April and the fixtures we have then.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Arteta has chosen to stay over night rather than travel back after olympiakos good decision, what a thinking manager he is
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:15 pm

VCC wrote:Arteta has chosen to stay over night rather than travel back after olympiakos good decision, what a thinking manager he is

Yep. They’re not coming back until Friday evening.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk