David Bowie

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: David Bowie

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:51 am

starmandb wrote:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:
starmandb wrote:Some unreleased Bowie material coming out tomorrow
Baby universal ( an earthling out take)
I can't read (an earthling out take)
Fun( a drum and base take on fame)
Stay 97
Nuts( more drum and bass from the earthling sessions)
The man who sold the world( recorded November 96 and played on the BBC on his 50th birthday in 1997

Very cool.

I am quite surprised that more from the Ziggy/Aladdin Sane era has not come out. Not sure who owns the rights now. What albums did Bowie bonds cover? I was thinking it was from Outside onwards?

The only songs I am aware of from the ziggy/ Aladdin sane era not to have seen the light of day are its gonna rain again( apparently he performed this at Glastonbury in 1971) only one paper left and something happens, most of the other outakes like velvet goldmine , sweet head round and round etc have turned up on other things. But who knows? Would be great if more surfaced. I believe the Bowie estate now own his catalogue, the bonds covered the albums hours, heathen and reality but my understanding is that it covered his back catalogue during that 10 year period as well with an income for him and a definite percentage for the buyer. The timing was good for Bowie but it seemed not so good for the buyer as it came at a time when record sales plummeted.

Thanks.

I recall when he was first playing clubs with the Spiders he covered quite a few songs. My GF saw him in Croydon and he did some T Rex stuff and some other songs from Jacques Brel, Lou Reed and the like. I doubt he recorded many of those sadly, and no bootlegs from that time that I know of.

Yup, I had a client from NYC who worked on that bond sale and he thought it did not pan out that well for investors. Apparently Bowie was relatively broke at the time.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby starmandb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:26 pm

his version of the velvet undergrounds waiting for the man as today's track please
Though it was never released on an album
There is a demo that was left off his 1st album in 1967( wise decision it's pretty poor)
But he recorded it for 4 bbc sessions 2 in 1970 and 2 in 1972 that ended up on a box set bowie at the beeb
It was also broadcast on American radio in 1972 in a concert in Santa Monica ( I had it as a bootleg for years before it was officially released in 1992)
It was included on his 1976 tour which was released with a repackaged station to station a few years ago live from the Nassau coliseum
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:27 pm

And it was performed in New York with Lou reed at his 50 th birthday concert in 1997[/quote]
[/quote]
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Amsterdam as today's track please
Was surprised when investigating this
I always believed it was an outtake from pinups as it was on the b side of sorrow in 1973
But it turns out it was recorded during the ziggy sessions in 1971 and was intended to be the final track on side 1
But at some stage of 1972 it was dropped from the set and replaced by another jaques brel song my death
Brel never recorded the song but there is a passionate version of the song live from 1964 the year he wrote where he sweats profusely and lives every moment of it.
Brel said" he didn't want to give the song to fags" ( charming) but despite this rather off colour comment bowie remained a fan.
It's most likely that bowie 1st heard Scott walkers 1967 version of the song that was on his debut album.
Bowie began covering the song with a folk trio as early as 1968( but don't let that put you off there is no sandels and socks and folde rolls here)
Bowie gives a spirited rendition of a city waking slowly but rising to full rumbustiousness.
He was performing it on sessions for the bbc in 70 and 71 for john peel and bob harris
The last time he played it was a one off in 1990 where he broke off singing rockn roll suicide to sing a few bars. He appeared to forget the words so returned to suicide
Guess where it was zenith?
The forest national brussels
He had something about doing rare cuts in belgium
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:52 pm

[/quote]
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:04 pm

white light white heat as today's bowie track
It's his cover of the velvet underground song that was written by Lou reed
It's on the soundtrack of the ziggy stardust movie that was a recording of the last concert that he did as ziggy at the hammersmith odeon in 1973
It was a staple in bowies live set for over 30 years but to my knowledge he never recorded it in a studio apart from radio sessions etc
Though in light of his death I would not be surprised if recordings surface in the future
I know a backing track exists spiders guitarist mick ronson used it on his 1975 album . Play don't worry because it was planned to be on bowles covers album pin ups so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a version with a Bowie vocal exists[/quote]
[/quote]
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:14 pm

Zenith wrote:
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:20 pm

Hello pat rice in shorts
Firstly can I say how jealous I am of your girlfriend seeing ziggy
I was only 11 by the time of his last gig but was a big fan already
Thanks to Callum and zenith I was able to post up some old songs
Though white light / White heat and Amsterdam seem no longer available
Couldn't find a et list for those Croydon gigs but he did 2 shows on the same day
Sunday 24 th June 1973
Unlikely he did sweet Jane or Amsterdam but highly likely the set included waiting for the man white light white heat and my death
starmandb

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:26 pm

starmandb wrote:Hello pat rice in shorts
Firstly can I say how jealous I am of your girlfriend seeing ziggy
I was only 11 by the time of his last gig but was a big fan already
Thanks to Callum and zenith I was able to post up some old songs
Though white light / White heat and Amsterdam seem no longer available
Couldn't find a et list for those Croydon gigs but he did 2 shows on the same day
Sunday 24 th June 1973
Unlikely he did sweet Jane or Amsterdam but highly likely the set included waiting for the man white light white heat and my death

I was about 13 but was Bowie aware in 1968 as we lived in Bromley and went to the same church as his mother. My mother worked on Beckenham High Street and always was coming home with tales of this weird guy with long hair that was either blonde or purple who was always on the train or walking around. He did his free concert at the park just down the road from us, but I failed to go. I thought he was a hippy Cat Stevens sort while I was more into hard rock/proto punk.

I only got into listening to him because I was into the Stooges and MC5 (through my brother who had moved to Cleveland in the US in 1968). So while I thought he was pretty lame at first my GF loved him and had seen him a few times from 1971-1973. We saw him together in 1972 at the Rainbow which I loved. Then I saw Lou Reed there a few months on, plus the Stooges at Kings Cross. Then I moved to the US and was able to see Bowie a few times at various places including him playing piano for Iggy (with my brother who scored tickets two nights running in Cleveland). My GF was so into him that she was part of his fan club which was a big deal for artists at the time and was alerted that he would be coming into Victoria Station so she and her friends went to welcome him. It was a cool time to be growing up.

My wife who is from LA and I had not met at the time was at the Santa Monica show, which is perhaps his best live album other than the Hammersmith show. Last trip to London included the Brixton stop (as well as seeing Hull, Barca and some other match in which we failed to score in all three!)
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby starmandb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:16 pm

Nice to hear from an older guy on here mate, once again I am jealous of those rainbow gigs
Did you see roxy music in support?
I hear they had got quite big after Virginia plain and were reluctant to fulfil the obligation
Did you see him on the 74 tour that never made it to the uk
Or / and on the station to station 76 tour( for me that is the high watermark of Bowie)
My god
Your wife is like Zelig in my eyes
To have been at victoria station and that Santa Monica show which was an exotic bootleg for me for so long.
I never really started to go to gigs till I started work
First major one was Xmas time 79 when I saw the specials/ pretenders and the who at Hammersmith odeon
My mum was seeing a guy that knew the security detail so we were within touching distance of them all
Spoils me a bit
Thought all gigs were like that
Do you still get to gigs in the states
Are you close to the circuit the acts may visit.
My gig going has really slowed down of late
Through the 80,s and 90,s there were not many weeks where I didn't see someone
I have tickets for nick cave at the o2 in May
Never seen him
Always found him an interesting artist
Ohh I loved early cat Stevens but that may have been a retrospective thing
Probably found him a bit naff when I was younger
Especially as he got played at our school assembly sometimes
I was listening to black sabbath and strangely enough lindesfarne in my early days
Had an uncle 6 years older than me who was a huge influence
Used to buy records coz I liked the cover as much as anything else
We used to call it underground music
A bit of hawkwind, bebop deluxe, humble pie
But really it was Bowie that was the ephiny
Being partly fascinated and partly scared by this creature so far from my comfort zone
Later got into soul music it had felt like a betrayal to rock music before
Still love music but it rarely has that impact
starmandb

Postby Zenith » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:34 pm

starmandb wrote:Amsterdam as today's track please
Was surprised when investigating this
I always believed it was an outtake from pinups as it was on the b side of sorrow in 1973
But it turns out it was recorded during the ziggy sessions in 1971 and was intended to be the final track on side 1
But at some stage of 1972 it was dropped from the set and replaced by another jaques brel song my death

Thanks for the DYK, starman. Had no idea it was recorded 2 years prior to the release of PIn Ups.

starmandb wrote:But at some stage of 1972 it was dropped from the set and replaced by another jaques brel song my death
Brel never recorded the song but there is a passionate version of the song live from 1964 the year he wrote where he sweats profusely and lives every moment of it.

Is it still on YouTube? I can't seem to find it. (Might be geo-blocked in Belgium.)

Pin Ups album version (recorded during Ziggy Sessions in 1971)

The Sunday Show with John Peel - February 5th, 1970 (broadcast date February 8th)

Bob Harris - September 21st, 1971 (starts at 15:15)

starmandb wrote:The last time he played it was a one off in 1990 where he broke off singing rockn roll suicide to sing a few bars. He appeared to forget the words so returned to suicide
Guess where it was zenith?
The forest national brussels
He had something about doing rare cuts in belgium

Yes, starman. If it's the exception rather than the rule, you'd surmise it's because the artist is fully comfortable with the crowd that's in front of him.

Coincidentally I happen to have a crowd recording of this particular concert on Friday the 20th of 1990. Don't think it can be found on YouTube or other streaming services, so couldn't resist doing some cutting to include the bit you're referring to -

Z's mum was present that night.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:35 am

starmandb wrote:Nice to hear from an older guy on here mate, once again I am jealous of those rainbow gigs
Did you see roxy music in support?
I hear they had got quite big after Virginia plain and were reluctant to fulfil the obligation
Did you see him on the 74 tour that never made it to the uk
Or / and on the station to station 76 tour( for me that is the high watermark of Bowie)
My god
Your wife is like Zelig in my eyes
To have been at victoria station and that Santa Monica show which was an exotic bootleg for me for so long.
I never really started to go to gigs till I started work
First major one was Xmas time 79 when I saw the specials/ pretenders and the who at Hammersmith odeon
My mum was seeing a guy that knew the security detail so we were within touching distance of them all
Spoils me a bit
Thought all gigs were like that
Do you still get to gigs in the states
Are you close to the circuit the acts may visit.
My gig going has really slowed down of late
Through the 80,s and 90,s there were not many weeks where I didn't see someone
I have tickets for nick cave at the o2 in May
Never seen him
Always found him an interesting artist
Ohh I loved early cat Stevens but that may have been a retrospective thing
Probably found him a bit naff when I was younger
Especially as he got played at our school assembly sometimes
I was listening to black sabbath and strangely enough lindesfarne in my early days
Had an uncle 6 years older than me who was a huge influence
Used to buy records coz I liked the cover as much as anything else
We used to call it underground music
A bit of hawkwind, bebop deluxe, humble pie
But really it was Bowie that was the ephiny
Being partly fascinated and partly scared by this creature so far from my comfort zone
Later got into soul music it had felt like a betrayal to rock music before
Still love music but it rarely has that impact

Yes Roxy played that night. They had just hit it big with their first album.

Saw Bowie during Station to Station in Cincinnati OH. Not quite the same energy as the Ziggy days. He really lost me with Tin Machine but I love his last several albums.

We live in a pretty remote area of the US now, but we do go some shows in Minneapolis and Denver but both are 12-14 hour drives. Mostly the Stones and Floyd over the past twenty years. I was able to see Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson in 1974 or 75 in Minneapolis.

I have been downloading YouTube concert audio which greatly expands what I can listen to. Not much music can hold up to the early 70's for me. Mott, Roxy, Bowie, Iggy, Reed all were at their peak and were so fresh at the time.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 am

Thanks zenith
I have never seen that clip before
Sounds like he was being playful rather than forgetting the words
I remember you saying your mum was there
I saw him at docklands arena and Milton Keynes on that tour
That Brel live version of Amsterdam is still up in England
Pat r i s
Fantastic to hear you have been following the man
I am in awe
There is a bootleg cd of that Cincinnati gig 23rd Feb 1976 the tour tapes
And a version of tvc15 from the gig on you tube but the sound is pretty ropey
Nacho did a Brilliant working of station to station and the other best footage are the rehearsal tapes the sound is crystal clear on those
The best actual show recording was from the Nassau colosseum
The set list didn't change much on that tour
He did do waiting for the man in Cincinnati
starmandb

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:31 am

david-bowie-1971-09-25.jpg

50p to get a front row spot for Bowie, Rono and the Spiders. Oh for the old days!

These sort of posters were plastered all over London back in the day. My mate's dad had a shop in Lewisham (about 1970) and one day in comes a guy who says he was in a band and wanted to put a flier up for a club date they were doing with a band called Thin Lizzy. Queen and Thin Lizzy before anyone gave a shit! So my mate works a deal with him to put them up all over Lewisham. We take about 30 of them plus 2 quid and put them in about six shop windows and binned the rest. I often wonder what they would be worth now had we kept them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby starmandb » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Hi zenith
Any chance you can post the outakes of rocknroll with me from 1974 that were released last week
It's long at 20 mins but for fans like us it's a treat to hear him arranging
Hope all well in the lockdown?
starmandb

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee