Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:23 pm

ag6789 wrote:Actually, we should have won 3-1 yesterday, but poor form of Laca, and lack of experience of other forwards robbed us of 3pts. We did dominate SU for long periods and did more likely to win than them.
Pepe on the wing looked energetic, and Martinelli was the standout performer. Torreira, and surprisingly, Xhaka looked compact too. Mustafi did ok in defense, too.
One small slip up in cover and we concede. Terrible luck, we've right now.

Sheff Utd deserved a point, we weren't very good, you make your own luck, if youre good enough you win games if you're not you complain about poor decisions and tell people you would have won if not for this and that. The table doesn't like and neither do the results, 6 wins, 11 draws, 6 defeats, that's not bad luck, that's poor performances.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:34 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
ag6789 wrote:How well has tried and trusted Anchelotti done so far at Everton? Nothing great so far.
At least we look compact. Problem is injuries and suspensions have robbed Arteta of important resources at this critical time.
We all know that the midfield needs to be bolstered and a defensive addition would be welcome, but that's more to do with the owners than Arteta at this point, I think.

Everton have picked up 10 points from a possible 15. We've picked up 6 from a possible 15. Arteta and Ancelotti started on the same day. So far Everton have lost one, drawn one and won three. Ancelotti is off to a better start. We've won one game, lost one and drawn three since Arteta arrived. Performances are better but the results aren't.

Ancelotti has done better than Arteta, that's not in doubt, 3 wins compared to 1, Everton were below us as well so noone can claim he had a better team. Arteta was a big risk, it's early days but so far it's not really working well, as usual people are making excuses (seems to be ingrained in the culture of some of the fans nowadays, its always someone elses fault).

I'm a little worried. The performances are better compared to what we saw under Emery but it's still not an improvement on Wenger. I just hope the results start to come on our way. Chelsea on Tuesday.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:23 am

Tony Adams wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:Angelito "emery is everything arsenal isn't"

No, he's everything Arsene isn't. You don't win titles passing it around on the half way line and filling the team with 5'6 playmakers. Unless of course you have the funds for Messi types. Even Guardiola had Fernandinho in midfield when he was winning titles playing the game Wenger aspired to.

Hate using WWE references but...

Modern day Arsenal is Wenger's blood, Wenger's sweat, Wenger's creation.

The last two decades of Arsenal is Arsene Wenger. He made us the sexiest side in Europe. That's a fact.

If we really wanted to change paths, there were only two coaches who could do it successfully: Conte and Simeone. Conte was available. We decided against hiring him.

Those 5'6" playmakers that you continue talking about nearly won the league twice. If we had the funds, if we had CR7, which we didn't because of lack of funds, that 07/08 side we had would go down as one of the best sides in English football history. In 2009, it would be Barcelona vs Arsenal in a UCL Final rematch.

Pep has unlimited resources on top of being a top class coach. How long will we ignore the fact that we were bare to the bones from the time of the Invincibles until 13/14?
'Nearly' won the league? Well in that case we should keep Emery cos he 'nearly' finished top four and 'nearly' won the europa league lol.

We also had diarra, song and flamini at DM when the season started.

You were running around calling Emery The Don. Please don’t make us laugh now with your comments on Wenger. You have zero credibility.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:25 am

There is no doubt we look a better side under Arteta than Emery. But we need urgent reinforcements in midfield and defense. Sadly I don’t see our geniuses Raul and Edu securing them. Raul only seems to buy from agents he’s friends with and Edu doesn’t seem to know anyone outside the youth teams of Brazil.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:26 am

I still think despite the clear signs this was a dreadfully bad appointment I am 100% behind arteta as i see good potential in him.

I think we could get back into the champions league with him if we make the right signings and he will become a much better manager than what you see with Lampard for example.

I firmly see it as the club has a shit unbalanced midfield and whatever Arteta tries he's compromised with a poor midfield and he need to be backed properly now which he isn't.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jedi » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:45 am

swipe right wrote:There is no doubt we look a better side under Arteta than Emery. But we need urgent reinforcements in midfield and defense. Sadly I don’t see our geniuses Raul and Edu securing them. Raul only seems to buy from agents he’s friends with and Edu doesn’t seem to know anyone outside the youth teams of Brazil.

It's not a race. January is an awful transfer window and even if we don't sign anyone that's completely fine.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 am

Jedi wrote:
swipe right wrote:There is no doubt we look a better side under Arteta than Emery. But we need urgent reinforcements in midfield and defense. Sadly I don’t see our geniuses Raul and Edu securing them. Raul only seems to buy from agents he’s friends with and Edu doesn’t seem to know anyone outside the youth teams of Brazil.

It's not a race. January is an awful transfer window and even if we don't sign anyone that's completely fine.

I don't care how shit January is for transfers, we need players and we need them now! An attacking Mid and utility defensive cover for CB and LB.

The squad we have right now will not absolutely nothing this season.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jedi » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:18 am

elkanofan wrote:
Jedi wrote:

I don't care how shit January is for transfers, we need players and we need them now! An attacking Mid and utility defensive cover for CB and LB.

Our season is already over. What would we be buying for? We're not getting top 4 and one or two january transfers aren't going to make much difference in cup competitions. We just need to take the L and strengthen in the summer. No panic buys.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby VCC » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:24 am

Prefer if deals are put in place and agreed early enough in summer for new players to have a decent settle in at pre- season. But hey it will all in reality happen the day before the window closes in panic, that's the way we roll
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:29 am

We still need signings, so I hope Arteta is pushing for those. We have EL fixtures starting up again in a month.

Domestic cups are out of the question, but Arteta can still salvage some of this season if he can take this shithouse of a team at least close to the final.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:46 am

Edu is looking into Bruno Guimaraes transfer from a Brazilian club. He is supposed to be an all-round midfielder ready for battle.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:54 am

Jedi wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Our season is already over. What would we be buying for? We're not getting top 4 and one or two january transfers aren't going to make much difference in cup competitions. We just need to take the L and strengthen in the summer. No panic buys.

and who the f**k is going to join us when we narrowly beat the drop, no CL, not EL, Auba leaves and we have few to no top level players anymore?

Your neglecting the 15 leagues games left, the EL to come and all the injuries to come we must contend with.

We have won 3 games in the league under 3 different coaches since October 1st.

We have won 5 games since then adding the win vs Guimaraes and Leeds at home.

Injuries, big injuries are only just starting to mount up with many, tough games ahead in 3 competitions.

We are a rudderless club drifting towards to drop with the only salvation at best midtable mediocrity and a AC Milan future future of this continually for the next 5 years at best with how things are moving.

We need players now, right now, right f***ing now and no later by February 1st! We need an attacking mid, we need a midfielder with movement to link our play between transitions and help allow our wingers and forwards to run in behind. We need CB and LB cover! If we don't sort this out we are in deep shit, deeper than the crisis we are already in.
You need to start concerning yourself with now and today because the tomorrow of next season will look very bleak unless we have clear ambition of CL football ready to present to new signings.

Aubameyang is 100% gone unless we win the Europa League or somehow by a miracle get top 4!

Arteta needs help from upstairs and so far he ain't getting enough help.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jack The Ripper » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:03 am

I doubt they are gonna give lots of money to Arteta to spend on new players, he is only a short term manager to fill in because no one else is available. Like I said many times I don't expect Arteta to be here by christmas 2020.
Jack The Ripper
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:05 am

The post Wenger era is a bloody disaster.
- the value of the club has plummeted. We are no longer top ten in Europe on value
- Gazidis who was supposed to lead us fcked off
- Raul and Edu are not of a premier league level
- the players signed like Pepe, Luis and Sokratis are mediocre and that’s being generous. I would say we got conned in those deals
- players look disinterested with key players either hungering to leave or refusing to sign new deals

We have won 2 of our last 14 games and are sitting in tenth. And people are claiming scrapping fifth or sixth would be great.

Looking at this honestly one would have to conclude sacking Wenger was a massive mistake. The club has fallen many levels since then.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:57 am

swipe right wrote:The post Wenger era is a bloody disaster.
- the value of the club has plummeted. We are no longer top ten in Europe on value
- Gazidis who was supposed to lead us fcked off
- Raul and Edu are not of a premier league level
- the players signed like Pepe, Luis and Sokratis are mediocre and that’s being generous. I would say we got conned in those deals
- players look disinterested with key players either hungering to leave or refusing to sign new deals

We have won 2 of our last 14 games and are sitting in tenth. And people are claiming scrapping fifth or sixth would be great.

Looking at this honestly one would have to conclude sacking Wenger was a massive mistake. The club has fallen many levels since then.

Do shut up.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk