Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:43 am

Quite honestly, I couldn't care less what Emery or Wenger did or didn't do before him, I couldn't care less if they got 22 years or 6 summers etc etc I'm going to judge Arteta on results and performances and so far performances have been underwhelming and results have been poor, he should be doing better, if he's the right guy we should be seeing more., he doesn't get a free pass just because the club are incompetent and never make the right choice, he's there choice not mine and I'll judge him by the criteria I would any manager that I would have expected to come in at that point.

But the facts are there in black and white, 6 points from a possible 15, 1 win, 3 draws and 1 defeat, he's a rookie and you can tell and in now way does he look qualified to do this job, so far he's looked out of his depth and his methods are Wengeresque which is something I don't wish to ever see again as I couldn't stand the Wenger years post 2005. So if he is going to go in that direction, then he should be on his bike.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:04 am

Angelito "emery is everything arsenal isn't"

No, he's everything Arsene isn't. You don't win titles passing it around on the half way line and filling the team with 5'6 playmakers. Unless of course you have the funds for Messi types. Even Guardiola had Fernandinho in midfield when he was winning titles playing the game Wenger aspired to.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:04 am

Özim wrote:Quite honestly, I couldn't care less what Emery or Wenger did or didn't do before him, I couldn't care less if they got 22 years or 6 summers etc etc I'm going to judge Arteta on results and performances and so far performances have been underwhelming and results have been poor, he should be doing better, if he's the right guy we should be seeing more., he doesn't get a free pass just because the club are incompetent and never make the right choice, he's there choice not mine and I'll judge him by the criteria I would any manager that I would have expected to come in at that point.

But the facts are there in black and white, 6 points from a possible 15, 1 win, 3 draws and 1 defeat, he's a rookie and you can tell and in now way does he look qualified to do this job, so far he's looked out of his depth and his methods are Wengeresque which is something I don't wish to ever see again as I couldn't stand the Wenger years post 2005. So if he is going to go in that direction, then he should be on his bike.
Spot on
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:20 pm

Özim wrote:Quite honestly, I couldn't care less what Emery or Wenger did or didn't do before him, I couldn't care less if they got 22 years or 6 summers etc etc I'm going to judge Arteta on results and performances and so far performances have been underwhelming and results have been poor, he should be doing better, if he's the right guy we should be seeing more., he doesn't get a free pass just because the club are incompetent and never make the right choice, he's there choice not mine and I'll judge him by the criteria I would any manager that I would have expected to come in at that point.

This is very true spot on, just shows the ambition of this club bringing in a man who had never managed just because he is on the cheap.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Godlop » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 pm

I agree time and transfer windows don't matter.
Good that Liverpool got rid of Klopp early.
This way he couldn't replicate his success at Dortmund through time and shrewd player signings.
Also remember that bald dude at City who got sacked after his team lost 4:2 against Leicester.
Weird that it didn't work out for him at City since he was so successful in Spain.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:39 pm

How well has tried and trusted Anchelotti done so far at Everton? Nothing great so far.
At least we look compact. Problem is injuries and suspensions have robbed Arteta of important resources at this critical time.
We all know that the midfield needs to be bolstered and a defensive addition would be welcome, but that's more to do with the owners than Arteta at this point, I think.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:48 pm

Actually, we should have won 3-1 yesterday, but poor form of Laca, and lack of experience of other forwards robbed us of 3pts. We did dominate SU for long periods and did more likely to win than them.
Pepe on the wing looked energetic, and Martinelli was the standout performer. Torreira, and surprisingly, Xhaka looked compact too. Mustafi did ok in defense, too.
One small slip up in cover and we concede. Terrible luck, we've right now.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:17 pm

ag6789 wrote:How well has tried and trusted Anchelotti done so far at Everton? Nothing great so far.
At least we look compact. Problem is injuries and suspensions have robbed Arteta of important resources at this critical time.
We all know that the midfield needs to be bolstered and a defensive addition would be welcome, but that's more to do with the owners than Arteta at this point, I think.

Everton have picked up 10 points from a possible 15. We've picked up 6 from a possible 15. Arteta and Ancelotti started on the same day. So far Everton have lost one, drawn one and won three. Ancelotti is off to a better start. We've won one game, lost one and drawn three since Arteta arrived. Performances are better but the results aren't.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 pm

Tony Adams wrote:Angelito "emery is everything arsenal isn't"

No, he's everything Arsene isn't. You don't win titles passing it around on the half way line and filling the team with 5'6 playmakers. Unless of course you have the funds for Messi types. Even Guardiola had Fernandinho in midfield when he was winning titles playing the game Wenger aspired to.

Hate using WWE references but...

Modern day Arsenal is Wenger's blood, Wenger's sweat, Wenger's creation.

The last two decades of Arsenal is Arsene Wenger. He made us the sexiest side in Europe. That's a fact.

If we really wanted to change paths, there were only two coaches who could do it successfully: Conte and Simeone. Conte was available. We decided against hiring him.

Those 5'6" playmakers that you continue talking about nearly won the league twice. If we had the funds, if we had CR7, which we didn't because of lack of funds, that 07/08 side we had would go down as one of the best sides in English football history. In 2009, it would be Barcelona vs Arsenal in a UCL Final rematch.

Pep has unlimited resources on top of being a top class coach. How long will we ignore the fact that we were bare to the bones from the time of the Invincibles until 13/14?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:00 pm

Angelito wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:Angelito "emery is everything arsenal isn't"

Hate using WWE references but...

Modern day Arsenal is Wenger's blood, Wenger's sweat, Wenger's creation.

The last two decades of Arsenal is Arsene Wenger. He made us the sexiest side in Europe. That's a fact.

If we really wanted to change paths, there were only two coaches who could do it successfully: Conte and Simeone. Conte was available. We decided against hiring him.

Those 5'6" playmakers that you continue talking about nearly won the league twice. If we had the funds, if we had CR7, which we didn't because of lack of funds, that 07/08 side we had would go down as one of the best sides in English football history. In 2009, it would be Barcelona vs Arsenal in a UCL Final rematch.

Pep has unlimited resources on top of being a top class coach. How long will we ignore the fact that we were bare to the bones from the time of the Invincibles until 13/14?
'Nearly' won the league? Well in that case we should keep Emery cos he 'nearly' finished top four and 'nearly' won the europa league lol.

We also had diarra, song and flamini at DM when the season started.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:27 pm

Angelito wrote:Modern day Arsenal is Wenger's blood, Wenger's sweat, Wenger's creation.

Sorry but this is completely wrong, up until 2005 we were amazing, after that the football was boring, predictable and repetitive, we were in no way the sexiest, most boring perhaps but not sexiest

Angelito wrote:Those 5'6" playmakers that you continue talking about nearly won the league twice. If we had the funds, if we had CR7, which we didn't because of lack of funds, that 07/08 side we had would go down as one of the best sides in English football history. In 2009, it would be Barcelona vs Arsenal in a UCL Final rematch.

We never nearly won the league, we were miles off everytime, it's not about funds as Wenger would have never spent them, the problem was Wenger. 07-08 were OK but not in the same league as the pre 2005 sides who played exciting, pacey, skillful football, full of flare, that football was unreal but that 2007-2008 team was OK but the football was nowhere near as good and it wouldn't go down in history as the best sides in English football at all, not even close.

Fact is we didn't win the title, because we just weren't good enough.

Angelito wrote:Pep has unlimited resources on top of being a top class coach. How long will we ignore the fact that we were bare to the bones from the time of the Invincibles until 13/14?

That's a myth that suited the club, we just spent poorly and Wenger went on an odd crusade trying to build a team from unknown kids, he failed miserably and the rest is history, he should have retired in 2005 or 2006 when he was at the top of his game, his legacy would have remained intact then, sadly for him he ruined it with that awful stuff he put us through from 2006 onwards.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:40 pm

The sexiest side in Europe lmao.

The same Arsenal that hasn't made it past R16 in a decade?

The Arsenal whose last 2 R16 adventures ended in 5-1 and 10-2 aggregate defeats?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:01 pm

I think it was pretty sexy but tbf the best teams knew if you could limit fabregas influence we could be made to look slow, sideways and would always give goals away at some pount.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:18 pm

Godlop wrote:

I agree time and transfer windows don't matter.
Good that Liverpool got rid of Klopp early.
This way he couldn't replicate his success at Dortmund through time and shrewd player signings.
Also remember that bald dude at City who got sacked after his team lost 4:2 against Leicester.
Weird that it didn't work out for him at City since he was so successful in Spain.

Don't even bother mentioning Klopp, Guardiola, they were proven before they arrived, they deserved time because everyone knew what they could achieve, Arteta hadn't managed a game, to even make a comparison with those guys is utterly ridiculous, you can't they're different league, they were proven, Arteta is all hype and so far it's not working out very well for him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:21 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
ag6789 wrote:How well has tried and trusted Anchelotti done so far at Everton? Nothing great so far.

Everton have picked up 10 points from a possible 15. We've picked up 6 from a possible 15. Arteta and Ancelotti started on the same day. So far Everton have lost one, drawn one and won three. Ancelotti is off to a better start. We've won one game, lost one and drawn three since Arteta arrived. Performances are better but the results aren't.

Ancelotti has done better than Arteta, that's not in doubt, 3 wins compared to 1, Everton were below us as well so noone can claim he had a better team. Arteta was a big risk, it's early days but so far it's not really working well, as usual people are making excuses (seems to be ingrained in the culture of some of the fans nowadays, its always someone elses fault).
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk