Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:22 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Özim wrote:It amazes me people are harping on about improvements, looks at the points we've picked up, looked at where we are in the table, look at how much closer we are to the CL spots and look at whether we turn up for 45 minutes or a whole match.

Its because you have the patients of a 5 year old.

We're at the start of a project to get this club back on track, its going to take time, he's still working with the same players, he hasn't even had a transfer yet.

As for these results your harping on about .............. "Arsenal haven't won a game since October, their worst run since 1975" Arteta took over, we have two wins and unlucky draw in our last 3 games.

There's your results difference since Emery so please pipe down ffs.

Arteta has brought in higher standards and expectancy into the team, played one formation so we can begin to perfect it and play our game, put players in their best postions, starting our best players.

.......... we had none of that under Emery, so there's the improvement also.

We've been failing for almost 15 years, 12 years of Wenger relative failure, followed by 18 months of Emery and I'm impatient, please.....

We're not a project club, for me Arteta needed to come in hitting the ground running, that's what I would have expected if we'd got a top manager and just because the club chooses to employ a guy with no experience that's not my problem, he needs to perform.

1 win in the PL with 2 draws and 1 defeat, the win was against Man U where we played well but they are a pretty poor side these days, the draws were pretty poor against Bournemouth who were awful and Palace who had players out, that's not really much of an improvement, like I said 5 out of 12 points, that's under 50% and not a lot better than Emery to be honest.

Higher standards? It's been OK, you'd expect changes from a new manager, but it's been nothing amazing, average results, the team only turning up for 45 minutes, some poor lineups to boot.

If you think this is a project and we're building towards something, then be prepared to be disappointed, I supect this will end like it always does at Arsenal these days, with us failing and evenutally having to start again and once again the cycle will repeat itself, new manager, new project, excuses by Arsenal fans, rinse and repeat, our days of going toe to toe with the big boys are long gone and won't be coming back for a very long time, not with owners that really don't care about what happens on the pitch.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:27 pm

Özim wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Özim wrote:It amazes me people are harping on about improvements, looks at the points we've picked up, looked at where we are in the table, look at how much closer we are to the CL spots and look at whether we turn up for 45 minutes or a whole match.

Its because you have the patients of a 5 year old.

We're at the start of a project to get this club back on track, its going to take time, he's still working with the same players, he hasn't even had a transfer yet.

As for these results your harping on about .............. "Arsenal haven't won a game since October, their worst run since 1975" Arteta took over, we have two wins and unlucky draw in our last 3 games.

There's your results difference since Emery so please pipe down ffs.

Arteta has brought in higher standards and expectancy into the team, played one formation so we can begin to perfect it and play our game, put players in their best postions, starting our best players.

.......... we had none of that under Emery, so there's the improvement also.

Higher standards? It's been OK, you'd expect changes from a new manager, but it's been nothing amazing, average results, the team only turning up for 45 minutes, some poor lineups to boot.

That's my biggest concern so far with Arteta. His starting 11 and subs have been poor. It's very very similar to Wenger and Emery.... i.e. seems to be formulaic as opposed to whats actually needed for the game on that day. There was a time when we didn;t need to worry about the opposition - just play our game. Those times are long gone, but I think Arteta is approaching the job in some areas in a very similar way to Wenger.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:08 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
That's my biggest concern so far with Arteta. His starting 11 and subs have been poor. It's very very similar to Wenger and Emery.... i.e. seems to be formulaic as opposed to whats actually needed for the game on that day. There was a time when we didn;t need to worry about the opposition - just play our game. Those times are long gone, but I think Arteta is approaching the job in some areas in a very similar way to Wenger.

I see parallels with Wenger too, which is a bad thing.

The football reminds me a bit of Wenger, I never really liked it once he shifted from that amazing, pacy, exciting counter attacking game that could help you take apart teams in 20 minutes and was so successful, so I'm hoping he uses our pace much more.

Agree about the lineups, needs to be more dynamic and switch things around, it's clear he already has his favourites like Xhaka for example, but places in the team should be on merit, Martinelli for me should be playing on Merit, his performances this season has been very very good indeed.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Jedi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:21 pm

Daily reminder Klopp finished 8th in his first season at Liverpool.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I see parallels with Wenger too, which is a bad thing.

The football reminds me a bit of Wenger, I never really liked it once he shifted from that amazing, pacy, exciting counter attacking game that could help you take apart teams in 20 minutes and was so successful, so I'm hoping he uses our pace much more.

Agree about the lineups, needs to be more dynamic and switch things around, it's clear he already has his favourites like Xhaka for example, but places in the team should be on merit, Martinelli for me should be playing on Merit, his performances this season has been very very good indeed.

Martinelli got injured, so will give Arteta a pass on that one, but now he's fit he should be playing. He's shown more than enough to elevate him above every single player in our squad.

I agree on Wenger's football in his last few years - the most boring version of the game I have ever seen. He tried to copy Barcelona, brought in the wrong players and turned us into a possession team in midfield and defence with little to nothing going forward. Hence, we lost many games whilst having most of the possession. Used to think it was bad luck, but it wasn't. We held the ball with no threat and other teams - even lower teams - we just more clinical when they got their chances. Sideways and backwards passing should be banned at the club unless the player is under pressure and has to get rid of it!
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Jedi wrote:Daily reminder Klopp finished 8th in his first season at Liverpool.

Klopp was a proven manager with 2 BuLi titles. He had the leverage to get spending guarantees from FSG.

Arteta has no experience and definitely no leverage when it comes to our transfer business. He too will be saddled with statDna players like Pepe and cheap CBs who don't solve our problems at the back.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:53 pm

Klopp also got to a European final in his first season

beaten by apparently the worst, shittest most clueless manager.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jedi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:05 pm

aniym wrote:

Klopp was a proven manager with 2 BuLi titles. He had the leverage to get spending guarantees from FSG.

Arteta has no experience and definitely no leverage when it comes to our transfer business. He too will be saddled with statDna players like Pepe and cheap CBs who don't solve our problems at the back.

How can you say that? Were you present in the room when they discussed transfers? This isn't even conjecture, there is absolutely no info to suggest he won't have serious input on transfer targets. I'm sure the summer budget and areas that need strengthening were discussed before he signed the contract.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Jedi wrote:
aniym wrote:

How can you say that? Were you present in the room when they discussed transfers? This isn't even conjecture, there is absolutely no info to suggest he won't have serious input on transfer targets. I'm sure the summer budget and areas that need strengthening were discussed before he signed the contract.

Even if that is true, your comparison with Klopp or indeed any other top manager is so far off the mark, Arteta has never managed, the chances of him being anywhere near as good as these guys is very small indeed, he's also at a club with much less ambition, Liverpool have always been very ambitious and have always chased the biggest prizes, this club chases 4th.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 pm

jayramfootball wrote:It's been an awful start by Arteta.
Maybe we're slightly more organised, but he's failing miserably to understand he needs a 90% turnover of players.
It looks like he thinks teh current squad is good enough - which makes him either an idiot, or just here for the money and doesn't want to rock the boat.
Unfortunately for him - and us - the Arsenal boat has needed sinking, not just rocking, for a decade.

What makes you think he thinks those things? Has he said that?

What can he do right now about turning over 90% of the players? Play all the kids?

It's like you're blaming him already for things he can't control. Did you think he should have brought 90% of new players with him?

I don't understand your gripe at all.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:57 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Maybe we're slightly more organised, but he's failing miserably to understand he needs a 90% turnover of players.
It looks like he thinks teh current squad is good enough - which makes him either an idiot, or just here for the money and doesn't want to rock the boat.
Unfortunately for him - and us - the Arsenal boat has needed sinking, not just rocking, for a decade.

What can he do right now about turning over 90% of the players? Play all the kids?

It's like you're blaming him already for things he can't control. Did you think he should have brought 90% of new players with him?

its because our fans are idiots and can't comprehend that a manager - shock horror - needs to keep a squad happy in order for them to perform for him and will therefore lavish them with praise and reassurance in pressers
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:08 pm

Jedi wrote:
aniym wrote:

It's an educated guess, based on what the club have done in the past. Emery spoke publicly about the importance of Ramsey and Auba to our season. They since pulled Ramsey's contract offer and didn't try to lock down Auba when it was clear he was in contention for Golden Boot. Now, it's too late.

I'm seeing the same thing now. Arteta is another nice guy who's promised to improve the current squad and won't bother the board with requests for new players. The problem is we know the current squad is finished, and the majority need to leave. Emery at least dropped Ozil and later Mustafi, but they're back under the new boss. Xhaka's said no to Hertha Berlin, so he probably thinks he's safe as well under the new boss.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jedi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 pm

StLGooner wrote:

It's exactly the same thing with 90% of negative Arteta posts in this thread. It's just brainless rhetoric because they don't like the guy. Nothing else to it. No thought or objective assessment of the situation at all.

aniym wrote:It's an educated guess, based on what the club have done in the past. Emery spoke publicly about the importance of Ramsey and Auba to our season. They since pulled Ramsey's contract offer and didn't try to lock down Auba when it was clear he was in contention for Golden Boot. Now, it's too late.

I'm seeing the same thing now. Arteta is another nice guy who's promised to improve the current squad and won't bother the board with requests for new players. The problem is we know the current squad is finished, and the majority need to leave. Emery at least dropped Ozil and later Mustafi, but they're back under the new boss. Xhaka's said no to Hertha Berlin, so he probably thinks he's safe as well under the new boss.

During Emery's tenure, over the span of 3 transfer windows the board bought 12 new players and spent nearly £200 million (£145 million net spend). What on earth are you talking about? There is no reason to think they won't bring Arteta new players in the summer.

Also Ramsey was mishandled by Emery (left both the player and his agent confused when they had a meeting) and your Auba comment is complete conjecture, if he doesn't want to sign now why would he want to sign a new contract back then?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 pm

Jedi wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

It's exactly the same thing with 90% of negative Arteta posts in this thread. It's just brainless rhetoric because they don't like the guy. Nothing else to it. No thought or objective assessment of the situation at all.

aniym wrote:It's an educated guess, based on what the club have done in the past. Emery spoke publicly about the importance of Ramsey and Auba to our season. They since pulled Ramsey's contract offer and didn't try to lock down Auba when it was clear he was in contention for Golden Boot. Now, it's too late.

During Emery's tenure, over the span of 3 transfer windows the board bought 12 new players and spent nearly £200 million (£145 million net spend). What on earth are you talking about? There is no reason to think they won't bring Arteta new players in the summer.

Also Ramsey was mishandled by Emery (left both the player and his agent confused when they had a meeting) and your Auba comment is complete conjecture, if he doesn't want to sign now why would he want to sign a new contract back then?

Like has nothing to do with it - he seems like a decent bloke.
With no experience at all, his mistakes are amplified.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Lads, just keep calm and trust Mikel.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk