In the news today...

Grab a chair, open a beer, and chat away! In Tribute to Drama, SE13, and Fabrestuta. R.I.P.

Re: In the news today....

Postby UFGN » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:02 am

Angelito wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Ach wrote:Don't really follow the royal family so someone tell me why Meghan is hated so much?

I only know her as the awesome Rachel from Suits. Since being married I assume she's just done what most royal family members do. F all.

Why the hatred? Prefer her over any of the others.

I think her American style PC crusade turns peoples noses the wrong way, I know I get put off by it.

I don't follow the Royal family but having a Millennial style American running rough shod with all their Hollywood ethics and morality speeches isn't what I want to see from the Royal family to be fair.

I prefer Diana's approach where she quietly went about supporting charities or gave the odd shout out to a specific cause, I'm not fond of American PC culture as it is, I'd rather not give it a Royal platform.

True. I knew that she'd be a problem from the very start. Remember the last time a yank married into the Royal family, it didn't end well and looks likely to be mirroring it here. The media may have a go at her, but it is because of her actions rather than anything else. Of course being a PC Yank, she likes to play the race card despite the fact that many people don't even consider her as black and that isn't why she is being scrutinised.

It's not about being a "yank." It's Meghan Markle who's an actress and loves attention. Harry is the same. Meghan wanted to be universally adored like Michelle Obama—going around with her charities, talking about poverty and climate change, going to night-time shows with Colbert, Fallon, Kimmel, etc., and being praised for how humanitarian and humane she was.

None of that was going to happen as a Royal. You're bounded to the system for life as one. Plus, she's a businesswoman. There's no way she could kill that businesswoman in her and live in privacy. Publicity is what she seeks. And it's not wrong either. It's just that Harry and Meghan miscalculated the whole gig, which isn't surprising in Meghan's case but in Harry's case, yeah, what was he thinking?

If Harry had indeed married a genuine philanthropist, none of this would be happening. It wouldn't matter what her race or nationality was.

I think thats pretty accurate

She was naive. She didnt realise what being in the Royal family would actually be like. Essentially the Queen has over 1,000 appearances / appointments to do each year and can only do about 300. The shit jobs get given to other Royals who represent her

Thats a crude generalisation but it is pretty much the truth

She also probably didn't realise the extent of the security that is around Harry. Hes not high up in the line of succession anymore, but hes high profile and ex army, so he needs it.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:14 am

UFGN wrote:Presidents, Dictators, Prime Ministers, Ambassadors, Sheikhs..... they all go weak at the knees when faced with the Queen.

Im not even a royalist but thats a stone cold fact reported by multiple sources over decades

There's a lot of history behind that throne, its seen nations rise and fall, the world change, the establishment has been around for a 1,000 years since the 11th Century.

It also 200 or so years ago used to rule an Empire bigger than the Romans, sometimes people forget what this little corner of the world managed to achieve.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:53 am

Phil71 wrote:
VCC wrote::lol:
Nuggets wrote:VAR has been used to look into the dispute between the USA V IRAN situation and has awarded a goal to Liverpool.

Mate - you have to look at the vid I posted in the YouTube funnies thread.

Which one Phil?
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:51 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:VAR has been used to look into the dispute between the USA V IRAN situation and has awarded a goal to Liverpool.

Which one Phil?

The New Zealand deck advert
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Why is their still a Royal Family at all in the year 2020?

Is it just people afraid to let go of tradition?

................ nope, checks and balances.

An expensive one yes but its just comforting considering our history and yours where we see a non-traditional country like the USA which was founded on private enterprise instead of Feudalism meaning there was no moral connection between your rulers and the people hence why everything is for sale including your health.

Don't get me wrong Kings and the aristocracy have treated us like sh*t throughout history but a King / Queen see's it as the country they are annointed to rule and so we are "their" people.

Through serfdom the monarch has in previous times had to protect the people, house the people etc, in America its every man for himself with corrupt politicians having all the say.

.............. you can't bribe a Queen or King, their position is not up for grabs every 4 years.

I would take our queen's morals over any politician America has ever produced.

Here's a thought, would Nazi Germany have ever been able to happen if they had our Queen with a Royal army?

So no reason at all really then. Cool
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:22 pm

StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

An expensive one yes but its just comforting considering our history and yours where we see a non-traditional country like the USA which was founded on private enterprise instead of Feudalism meaning there was no moral connection between your rulers and the people hence why everything is for sale including your health.

Don't get me wrong Kings and the aristocracy have treated us like sh*t throughout history but a King / Queen see's it as the country they are annointed to rule and so we are "their" people.

Through serfdom the monarch has in previous times had to protect the people, house the people etc, in America its every man for himself with corrupt politicians having all the say.

.............. you can't bribe a Queen or King, their position is not up for grabs every 4 years.

Here's a thought, would Nazi Germany have ever been able to happen if they had our Queen with a Royal army?

More of a reason than you guys give for "Ahh need mah gunz" for that ridiculous notion of over throwing a Gov't who unlike at the time of that law where they had the same muskets as you, now have Tanks, Nukes and F-18's.

If you know how our Countries structure works you'd know in case of a national emergency the Queen could be re-installed as National ruler, she has her own army for starters.
She also has to authorize (although in our functioning democracy its ceremonial) the new head of Parliament i.e the Prime minister.

Do we have to have the RF, no, but in other nations if the Gov't falls, lets say like Iraq or Liberia, who is there to maintain the country? no one, any old guy with an army can rock up and set up and entirely new Gov't, the RF are the back up plan to make sure the structure of our country is continued no matter what happens to Parliament, the old guard so to speak.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:30 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

More of a reason than you guys give for "Ahh need mah gunz" for that ridiculous notion of over throwing a Gov't who unlike at the time of that law where they had the same muskets as you, now have Tanks, Nukes and F-18's.

If you know how our Countries structure works you'd know in case of a national emergency the Queen could be re-installed as National ruler, she has her own army for starters.
She also has to authorize (although in our functioning democracy its ceremonial) the new head of Parliament i.e the Prime minister.

Do we have to have the RF, no, but in other nations if the Gov't falls, lets say like Iraq or Liberia, who is there to maintain the country? no one, any old guy with an army can rock up and set up and entirely new Gov't, the RF are the back up plan to make sure the structure of our country is continued no matter what happens to Parliament, the old guard so to speak.

Haha! That's seems like a better answer. I feel like your last answer was just a huge dig against my country, which I know you hate. But it's cool. I still love you guys.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:37 pm

I don't hate America at all, there are aspects about America that I love ........... there are just some aspects I don't like and are fkin annoying.

It might seem I'm anti-american but I'm def not.

The only real things I detest about America are the fact your Gov't is corrupt to fk and gives stupid excuses about not letting you lot have Free medical care when the whole of the Western world has it, even Canada.
I detest your PC culture as its childish as fk even your comedians have had enough because they really feel the pinch more than anyone when freedom of speech is being shut down, Dave Chappelle for example.
I also hate the way your Gov't allows companies to sell you medication on TV like Starbursts and the way your Doctors over medicate your population for the $$$.
Finally its your Gov'ts foreign policy of war mongering while pretending its for a morally just reason.

I'm not good with hypocrisy lol.

Other than that I love America.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:43 pm

I get it, we do some horrible things that overshadow the good things we do. But pretty much every well established Govt is corrupt in one way or another, and are hypocritical as f**k.

Sometimes it's hard listening to people constantly criticize your country, even though I mostly agree with those criticisms. However it's like when someone criticizes your kid for being a brat. You know he's a brat and you agree, but you don't want others to say it. Haha!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:56 pm

StLGooner wrote:I get it, we do some horrible things that overshadow the good things we do. But pretty much every well established Govt is corrupt in one way or another, and are hypocritical as f**k.

Sometimes it's hard listening to people constantly criticize your country, even though I mostly agree with those criticisms. However it's like when someone criticizes your kid for being a brat. You know he's a brat and you agree, but you don't want others to say it. Haha!

Yes I get it.

Its like "Its crap ........but its my crap!".

Of course every country is at it, America cops it a lot because America is the power on the block so gets the most criticism so unfortunately you have to wear the big boy pants if your holding all the big boy guns.

Romans probably felt the exact same way you do back in the day ........ "Everyone's out there chopping each others heads off, not just us, what's with all the bad press? what happened to all the blow jobs?"
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:41 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Which one Phil?

:rofll: :rofll: seen it.
Nuggets

Postby VCC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:44 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Which one Phil?

:rofll: :rofll: seen it.

It is gold, but never seen it played here before lol probably our neighbors taking the piss lol
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby LMAO » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:25 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I get it, we do some horrible things that overshadow the good things we do. But pretty much every well established Govt is corrupt in one way or another, and are hypocritical as f**k.

Yes I get it.

Of course every country is at it, America cops it a lot because America is the power on the block so gets the most criticism so unfortunately you have to wear the big boy pants if your holding all the big boy guns.

Romans probably felt the exact same way you do back in the day ........ "Everyone's out there chopping each others heads off, not just us, what's with all the bad press? what happened to all the blow jobs?"

Yeah, we gotta take it on the chin as the world's superpower.

But we have a lot of good too:
• Best national park system in the world. (Shout-out to Teddy Roosevelt)
• Pax Americana. It's popular to shit on our military for having bases all around the world, but countries are free to tell us to leave whenever they want.
• Out of all the Western countries, we're arguably the most friendly people along with our neighbors to the north.
• A federal government. Unlike countries like England where power is centralized, our states still have autonomy to a significant degree.
• Manifest Destiny (this one was bad) that led to our pioneering spirit (good).
• Our class system (i.e., class mobility) is superior to much of the world's since we never had a history of royalty.
• Even though our corporations control a lot, America is very consumer friendly.
• Healthcare can be expensive, yes. But we also have the best medical care in the world.
• Public education may be lacking, but our post-secondary institutions are largely the best in world.
• Cultural uniformity. Even though we're a continent-sized country and Texas culture is different to New England culture, there's this overarching American culture where you can travel from one coast to the other and still recognize that you're in the same country.
• We pretty much have all climates to experience (which is why a lot of Americans don't travel internationally. Go to Ibiza? Nah, we'll go to Las Vegas or South Beach in Miami. The French Riviera? We have Florida, SoCal, and Hawaii. The Alps? The Rockies are good enough.). Plus, going to a different state is kind of like visiting another country although not a complete 1:1 comparison.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:40 am

LMAO wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Yes I get it.

Yeah, we gotta take it on the chin as the world's superpower.

But we have a lot of good too:
• Best national park system in the world. (Shout-out to Teddy Roosevelt)
• Pax Americana. It's popular to shit on our military for having bases all around the world, but countries are free to tell us to leave whenever they want.
• Out of all the Western countries, we're arguably the most friendly people along with our neighbors to the north.
• A federal government. Unlike countries like England where power is centralized, our states still have autonomy to a significant degree.
• Manifest Destiny (this one was bad) that led to our pioneering spirit (good).
• Our class system (i.e., class mobility) is superior to much of the world's since we never had a history of royalty.
• Even though our corporations control a lot, America is very consumer friendly.
• Healthcare can be expensive, yes. But we also have the best medical care in the world.
• Public education may be lacking, but our post-secondary institutions are largely the best in world.
• Cultural uniformity. Even though we're a continent-sized country and Texas culture is different to New England culture, there's this overarching American culture where you can travel from one coast to the other and still recognize that you're in the same country.
• We pretty much have all climates to experience (which is why a lot of Americans don't travel internationally. Go to Ibiza? Nah, we'll go to Las Vegas or South Beach in Miami. The French Riviera? We have Florida, SoCal, and Hawaii. The Alps? The Rockies are good enough.). Plus, going to a different state is kind of like visiting another country although not a complete 1:1 comparison.

On this agree with you. May I ad a couple of points? OK, thanks!

Our environment is cleaner than just about country on earth, our wildlife is thriving and we have millions upon millions of public lands and waterways. When I was British this was not the case by a long shot, but has been getting far better over the past twenty years. Being an avid conservationist, hunter and fisherman the US is paradise for me.

The US assumed the role of the freedom protector a when Germany got stroppy twice, and the second one truly saved the world from totalitarianism. Yes nations can tell the US to leave, but most understand the consequences to their security. I am for greatly reducing our own presence in some places and handing over the costs, both human and fiscal to those who benefit. As you mentioned American culture is a real living phenomenon and has a great deal to do with why the US steps up against tyranny every time it is required. It all started because of British colonialism ironically yet we have been staunch allies ever since. Most of the bases you refer to are relics of of the Cold war yet are pretty handy when threats occur as they always will. Peace through strength is a reality. It allows for diplomacy to work. Another Teddy Roosevelt axiom.

Being a Republic of sovereign states including Native American tribes we have resisted many of the problems with a centralized government. That seems to be changing on the left, but being reinforced by the right. Our Constitution is perhaps the most brilliant document ever produced. Checks and balances, the Bill of Rights, the manner in which we amend the Constitution...much borrowed from English law and much of it devised to avoid imperialism. (Which the US is accused of falsely all the time.)

Our healthcare is the way it is because the majority of Americans like it. We have an ingrained distrust of how governments run things. Nobody is refused healthcare and people who actually plan their lives responsibly have coverage that is the best in the world. If we do slip into government run healthcare we will lose much of our advancement in all sectors of treatments. HIV is prime example. The US developed the drugs that keep the infected alive, and we basically gave those drugs to much of Africa saving millions of lives. I was sent to the Mayo Clinic a few years ago, at the time there were private jets from all over the world parked at ten Rochester MN airport. I went into an elevator and shared a ride with Sir Alex. If someone really needs care it is here they come.

Public education is dire problem. I got my O and A levels in the UK, then came here for university. Those exams were all essay answers which require a through knowledge of ten subject matter AND the ability to write a cogent paragraph. My kids went to public schools that were Ok, but we did a lot of extra curricular education at home especially in maths, geography and history outside of US history.

Manifest Destiny was a signal of the times. The same attitude was prevalent in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other "new worlds". Europeans and others were flocking here to make new lives because of the opportunity to escape crushing imperial rule, famine and financial hardship. The same is still true. Those people were the risk takers and embodied that pioneer spirit.

Racism in America is mostly a political straw dog. I have seen far more overt racism in Asia, the Middle East and the UK to be sure. We can all do better, but using such divisive (and condescending) weapon politically is counter to real progress.

Moving here was the best move I ever made, becoming a citizen right on par.

Note to DG: PC culture here is pretty much a figment of the very far left and those who wish to be considered hip or even worse to have a monopoly on compassion. I actually think that it is more firmly embedded in English and European culture than here. Yes we have Hollywood dopes spouting off but they seldom follow the demands they place on others. The "fly over" country is far different. Besides PC culture captures all in it's net as many are finding out now...ie comedians. Hypocrisy is a human trait we all share to some extent. I know I suffer from it at times no matter how hard I try.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:56 am

Pat Rice In Shorts - how did you end up moving to America? did you have a job pre hand there or have family over there?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Harambee