The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby Jedi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:40 pm

BS221B wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Wilder wins with a hammer blow.
Such a short punch too.
Best heavyweight in the world.
Granite chin, most powerful puncher of all time.

Talk about overexaggerating. He has strong punch, i will give you that but its nowhere close to Big Foremans punches lol.

Wilders punches have more snap to them and they're faster, and he constantly gets these one punch KOs. I pick Wilder over Foreman any day of the week.

But "nowhere close"? I think you're severely underestimating Wilder.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Foreman is definitely the hardest puncher ever if we're talking raw power; though Tyson could generate the most power in the least amount of space, he had incredible torque which made his short punches devastating.

Wilder is up there though, he's like Tommy Hearns and Julian Jackson, very long arms and catches you at the end of the punch with maximum snap.

One of my favourite KOs ever, old George Foreman casually walks over and kills Cooney without breaking stride -

Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 am

Joshua vs Ruiz 2 coming up on Saturday.

True 50/50 for me. I don't know what to make of this fight. Gun to my head, I'd pick Ruiz by knockout again, but i hope Joshua beats him because i don't want Wilder to have an opportunity to unify without fighting Joshua.

Also Hrgovic fighting on the undercard, very excited about that.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:08 am

Saudi are only 3 hours ahead of us.

What time is the fight likely to be?
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 am

Ach wrote:Saudi are only 3 hours ahead of us.

What time is the fight likely to be?

Eddie Hearn said the fight will be on or at least the ring entrance for Joshua will be 8:45pm UK time, show starts as early as around 5-6pm.

Bell for AJ to start his bout is scheduled for 9pm.

Pissed off Sky aren't streaming the Box office from Youtube though like they have before, it was so easy to buy it and watch it on any TV.
Now they want you to buy it and stream it from their site where not all Smart TV's will be able to display their player or they want you to spend another £15 on buying a fkin "Now fire stick".

Not happy, if i have to watch the show in my bedroom (which has a TV connected to my PC) instead of on my 60" TV in the lounge I'm going to be pissed!!!

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Foreman is definitely the hardest puncher ever if we're talking raw power; though Tyson could generate the most power in the least amount of space, he had incredible torque which made his short punches devastating.

Wilder is up there though, he's like Tommy Hearns and Julian Jackson, very long arms and catches you at the end of the punch with maximum snap.

One of my favourite KOs ever, old George Foreman casually walks over and kills Cooney without breaking stride -

George Foreman is the hardest puncher in boxing, he had the most weight behind his punches.

Wilders punches are so devastating because of the speed he gets on it, its like a flash knockout because its the ones you don't see do the most damage.

Foremans were more of a thudding power, he could knock you from pillar to post.

Special mention to Earnie Shavers ........ like the guy describes Foreman had a different type of punch, he describes it similar to how I did.

DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:45 am

Ok I'm changing my order, I said Foreman, Shavers, Wilder but I remembered hearing other HW's stating Shavers so looked it up and ............ well, don't argue with the experts.

"Earnie Shavers: In 75 ring victories, Shavers scored 69 KOs. Virtually all who faced him, including Larry Holmes, Ron Lyle, Jimmy Young, Ken Norton and Muhammad Ali stated he was the hardest puncher they had ever encountered. As Randall ‘Tex’ Cobb put it: “Nobody hits like Shavers. If anybody hit harder than Shavers, I’d shoot him.”

What's even more scary is this man came into fights at an average of 210 lbs, meaning today he could easily cut to the Cruiserweight division same as Usyk did.

Beast mode.

DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:18 am

Jedi wrote:Joshua vs Ruiz 2 coming up on Saturday.

True 50/50 for me. I don't know what to make of this fight. Gun to my head, I'd pick Ruiz by knockout again, but i hope Joshua beats him because i don't want Wilder to have an opportunity to unify without fighting Joshua.

Ruiz took Joshua's best punch and was not dazed. Couple that with AJ having no defence at all and I see this going the same way - AJ battered around the ring after being caught which could happen early or later.
That's Aj's issue - no defence and no chin. Any fighter with a great chin is going to beat him.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:08 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

Ruiz took Joshua's best punch and was not dazed. Couple that with AJ having no defence at all and I see this going the same way - AJ battered around the ring after being caught which could happen early or later.
That's Aj's issue - no defence and no chin. Any fighter with a great chin is going to beat him.

I'm interested because AJ has dropped the muscle to be able to box better / quicker.

Not sure if that will work or not but it'll be interesting to see the new look more agile AJ, I do feel for him, the guy is still young in boxing years and everyone gets stupid ideas, him trying to be an Insta model was one of them.

Muscles are good, stacked muscle is not, its extra weight which slows down your fast twitch muscles, hence why young Tyson was much better than post prison heavy set Tyson.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby BS221B » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:21 pm

I hope AJ wins. I want him to take on both Wilder and Fury before he retires.

Wilder vs AJ is the match that was promised.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:10 pm

I'm just sitting here wondering why Wilder is all of a sudden a lock to beat Fury.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:

I'm just sitting here wondering why Wilder is all of a sudden a lock to beat Fury.

He's not at all but if he does win, i don't want him to have an opportunity to unify without fighting Joshua. Same goes for Fury to be honest.

As far as their rematch goes, i hope Fury wins, but I'm not confident at all. I don't really buy the narrative that Fury was 70% for that fight. I think that he was as good as he's going to be and that if anyone's going to improve, it's Wilder. Mostly because he was a nervous wreck in the first fight and swung his hands like a maniac instead of setting up his right hand properly. If he works his jab and especially if he goes for that body, i think he could have a much easier time.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Phil71 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm

Joshua looks light and lean.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Phil71 wrote:Joshua looks light and lean.

That's not going to help his punch resistance.
He has a glass jaw like Bruno.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:06 am

jayramfootball wrote:

It's going to help his agility and cardio though.

Ruiz is deceptively quick, Joshua needs to match him.

Also body shots were a huge factor in the first fight and he gassed hard.

Smart move from AJ.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:53 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

It's going to help his agility and cardio though.

Ruiz is deceptively quick, Joshua needs to match him.

Also body shots were a huge factor in the first fight and he gassed hard.

Smart move from AJ.

Ruiz is still going to be quicker than AJ.
AJ only has a punchers chance, so he may have actually made it harder for himself by slmming down.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing